Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #201

Re: Hal The Van

Damn! it wears me out just reading about the build- I don't know how you do it but keep it up.

teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #202
Site Team

It's Alive, It's Alive!!!!
Cue the maniacal Doctor Frankenstein laughter.

If you'd like to see the Sofa-bed in full electrified operation check out my first ever YouTube video.

Catchy title, No? I wonder how many people will happen across it while searching for something completely different. The sofa-bed is NOT as loud in real life as it seems in the video.

I sometimes wondered if I'd make it this far. I'm down right giddy.

Be sure to click the "Like" (thumbs up) button on YouTube directly below the video if it meets with your approval.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #203

Unreal.

I remain in awe.

I must say, if it's as loud as the video sounds, it'll be quite a hit at those sleepy, quiet little campgrounds.

;-)
Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #204
Site Team

Thanks Nomadcat.

Let's see, work on the van this past weekend or head to the woods?
Woods win.

Sofa-bed continued:
After having completed building the lifting mechanism I bolted it to the Seat Platform.

I need to make a way to attach the top of the actuator to the Back Platform. Since I had moved the Center Support the attachment point would now be on one of the side panels so I wanted to do a little reinforcing first. Cut a small plywood panel that fits tightly into the Back Platform recess.

Then glue (Mmmmm - wooden toaster pastry) -

and screw into place.

Because of the way the sofa-bed operates the top of the actuator can't be rigidly attached. It has to be allowed some movement. After some testing and a couple prototypes-

I came up with this design.

The bolt has a 1/4" diameter and I need it to be able to slide within a slot on the aluminum bracket. To create the slot I drilled a series of 1/4" holes taking great care to keep the holes in a straight line. Then used a hand file to smooth down the ridges left from the holes. Again being careful not to enlarge the slot but keep it at 1/4". The advantage of using aluminum to make the bracket is it's a lot easier to drill and file than a similar sized piece of steel would be.

As the sofa-bed converts from bed to sofa I'll explain how the bolt moves in the bracket slot.

The sofa-bed is in the bed position. The Back Platform is lying flat. The lifting actuator is completely "closed" or un-extended.

The transitioning begins. The actuator has just started to extend. Notice the change in position of the bolt head.

The top of the actuator post has made contact with the bottom of the Back Platform. This contact is how the lifting force from the actuator will be transferred to the Back Platform. The purpose of the bracket is to guide the top of the actuator post and keep it in place. I'm using the base of the bracket to help spread the lifting force.

Here the actuator has extended to the end of it's stroke and raised the Back Platform as high as it can. Due to the pivoting of the of the actuator post edge against the bracket as the angle of the Back Platform increases the bolt has moved downward slightly in the slot.

Even though the actuator has raised the Back Platform has high as it can the platform is still not in it's final position.

At this point the second actuator is activated. It moves the two hinged platforms backwards and brings the Back Platform against the end support blocks.

As the second actuator continues to operate it causes the Back Platform to slide up the end support blocks increasing it's angle . When the second actuator stops moving the Back Platform will be positioned so it's angle matches that of the end support block.

While the angle of the Back Platform was being increase the bolt through the end of the lifting actuator was sliding downward in the bracket slot.

Figuring out the whole system of getting the lifting actuator to get the Seat Platform most of the way up then having the end support blocks lift it the rest of the way while not binding up on the lifting actuator was a major challenge. I'm sure it looks fairly straight forward here but it sure wasn't in my head.

In this picture you can see the pencil marks and screw holes from some of the different designs I tried before creating this one.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #205

Nice job getting the bed to work!!! A powered bed/bench definitely has a very high coolness factor, and you put a lot of work and thought into getting it done. Very impressed, and can't wait to see what you come up with next
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
Nice job getting the bed to work!!! A powered bed/bench definitely has a very high coolness factor, and you put a lot of work and thought into getting it done. Very impressed, and can't wait to see what you come up with next
x2...blkjak
Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #207
Site Team

Thanks guys.
I've been camping the last three days (beat the holiday crowds) and every morning before getting up I'd look around the van and think "what can I get into next?"
One thing that moved to the top of the list is a inside covering for the front windshield. I ran out of Reflectix after doing all the side windows. Instead of buying a whole roll of Reflectix for one window I was looking at making a cover out of this fabric: Quilted Iron Quick Fabric
It's aluminum on a cotton back with polyester batting for insulation.

That's the practical idea. Under the "Maybe Practical" heading I was thinking about how to make electric blinds for the rear windows. But that one's farther down the list

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #208

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

You should look at these. I have them and love it.

Google and look at the JCWhitney add

Custom-fit Retractable Pleated Windshield Sun Shades. .

You can leave them on all the time or store them and they remount in 2sec.

Ron
Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #209
Site Team

Hey Ron,
What are you driving?
I just checked the J.C. Whitney site:
Custom-fit Retractable Pleated Windshield Sun Shades

But when I entered my vehicle I got this:
Quote:
This product does not work with your 1999 Ford E250

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #210

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

That's weird. I just bought it for my 2006 Chevy Express and had it in my 1993 Ford and 1981 Ford I can get it for you from my guy for $30 bucks. just pay the shipping. They work great there are 4 1in anchors that glue to the windshield 2 each side and the shade attaches to the anchors. You pull each side to the middle and it velcro's together.

Ron