Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #421
Site Team

Re: Hal The Van

FYI. This build thread has gotten so long I had problems finding my older postings. To make searching easier I've created an index and placed it at the beginning of the first posting.

Thread Index

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #422

Heck, when he's done with his van - which we know will NEVER happen - I was planning to drive straight down there and have him start on mine...

Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #423
Site Team

Quote:
when he's done with his van - which we know will NEVER happen
Truer words were never spoken. Did manage a weekend trip in November.

Solar Power. There's something both neat and creepy about having a whole campground to yourself. Especially at night.

I've not posted much lately but have still been making improvements to the van. Some odds and ends but mostly working on the house batteries. Just got this part working today. It's a fan enclosure that power vents the lead-acid batteries to the outside.

It uses two small 12 volt muffin fans.

They produce enough of a draft to almost blow out a match.

Planning for the fans to only run while the battery is charging since that's when the hydrogen gas is produced. Want to use a programmed microcontroller for this task. Problem is I've never messed with microcontrollers before so will have to learn how first. Full write-up when I (hopefully) get it all figured out.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #424

Just took delivery of my Webasto heater. Still debating where to install, but I looked at the quick connect on my Sprinter fuel tank so am going diesel.

How is the heater working?

One of the locations for the heater would put it fairly close to the holding tank.

How hot is the exhaust pipe?

Also the install kit came with an interesting rubber hanger for the pump. Gives me hope it will be quiet.

One possible location for the unit is under the van. Was thinking that might help with noise. If the noise is coming through the heated air passage, then I may as well mount the unit inside where it will (possibly) be cleaner.

Thanks for sharing.
SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #425
Site Team

Quote:
How is the heater working?
Once you have one you'll wonder how you ever camped in cold weather without one. Cranks out the heat and is easy on the batteries.

Quote:
One of the locations for the heater would put it fairly close to the holding tank.
The outside of the heater doesn't get hot so you can place it anywhere.

Quote:
How hot is the exhaust pipe?
It is exhaust gas so it will burn you if you touch it.

Quote:
One possible location for the unit is under the van. Was thinking that might help with noise. If the noise is coming through the heated air passage, then I may as well mount the unit inside where it will (possibly) be cleaner.
With a muffler installed on the exhaust the loudest noise is the clicking from the fuel pump. The heater itself is fairly quiet so I can't see any reason to install it outside the living space if you are only worried about the noise it might cause.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #426

Thanks
SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyRV
Just took delivery of my Webasto heater. Still debating where to install, but I looked at the quick connect on my Sprinter fuel tank so am going diesel.
Be careful about the internal diameter of the quick connect. If it is to big, the webasto will not be able to pump the fuel... and you will need to install the webasto fuel pick up...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #428
Site Team

Side Window Framing

Next up is the wall panel for around the side window. This is one of those jobs that I've been putting off since I wasn't sure how to proceed. Sportsmobile installed the side window at the same time as the penthouse top. I took the following photo while the van was still in their shop.

During the installation they cut the inner metal shell from around the window area. This inner shell is what I use to anchor the wall panels. I could attach the panel above and below the window but it wouldn't match the curve of the wall.

I started on the panel with a couple of ideas. First measure and mark off an area around the window.

Measure and cut a section of fiberboard for the wall panel. Need to cutout the space for the window on the fiberboard. To mark out the window I had a little help. After Sportsmobile as done working the pieces they removed from the van where placed outside behind the shop.

At the time I retrieved the window cutout figuring it would come in handy sometime. That time would be now. Use the metal cutout as my guide.

Do a test fit. I'm using my foot to hold it in place for this picture.

Use non-flammable contact cement to glue styrofoam to the back side of the panel.

Smooth out the edges with a rasp.

To anchor the panel to the wall I'm going to try epoxy and see how it works out. First peel back the Reflectix foil warp from the wall and measure the window frame

The window frame sticks out about 1". Since it was an inch I thought the 1" square metal tube I had on hand would be perfect for an anchor point.

Wire brush off the rust and cut off a 2" long section. Use a pieces of tape to mark the center of the window frame then use 5 minute epoxy to attach the square tube to the van wall.

Do both sides.

The label on the epoxy reads that it works down to 39 degrees but I used a heat gun to warm things up a bit.

Let the epoxy set up for 24 hours. The next day I could pull on the square tubing hard enough to feel the metal wall of the van deforming but it held tight.

Hold the wall panel in place then drilled through the panel onto the square tube long enough to mark it. Then removed the panel and finish drilling a hole in each tube.

The hole is just a starter for #10 x 2-1/2" sheet metal screws. use the screws to hold the panel in place.

It fit snug against the frame at both sides but I thought the bottom could be brought in.

I tried to add a third anchor point at the bottom of the window but as you can see from this picture the weather took a turn for the worse.

With the now colder weather I didn't have the same success with the epoxy on the third anchor point. It just won't hold like the other two. Even tried using a space heater to blow on it but no luck.

The third anchor point isn't as critical as the first two so I'll just wait till there is warmer weather and try again.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Problem is I've never messed with microcontrollers before so will have to learn how first.
Isn't a microcontroller overkill, when a small binary computer would work as well?

????? :???su?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #430
Site Team

Overkill? You're asking this of someone who built an electric sofa-bed? I live for overkill!

Anyway a microcontroller is nearly the same as a small computer except it only costs $2.58. I'm currently working with the Atmel ATtiny2313A. A relay would be simpler but it won't do all I want like keep the vent fans running for a set time after the batteries stop charging to purge any hydrogen or sound an alarm if the fans ever fail.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG