Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #451

Hal The Van

Great plug, I'm about to order one, and they even have it in black! One question - I see a review that says you need a 1 7/8 hole saw. Did you find one or cut it another way?
Thx

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #452
Site Team

Re: Hal The Van

The largest hole saw for metal I have is 1-3/4". The hole saw always "meanders" a bit when cutting through the side of the van so the hole ends up being larger that 1-3/4". It then took about 10-15 minutes of work with a round file, elbow grease required, to make the hole large enough for the plug to fit. YMMV.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Yesterday a poster at RV.net wrote about the location of their external power connection...
I have the same plug, same location, installed by GTRV.

I realized recently, though, that when/if I upgrade to Aluminess bumpers (or even just the swing-away tire carrier), the upright for the swing-away will be directly in front of this location. (Not a problem for WVvan, but others should take note when considering a plug location.)

Brent
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #454
Site Team

All work and no play makes Hal angry so time for a weekend in the woods.

Thought I'd hike up a mountain and look for it's benchmark. There wasn't a trail but I knew I was getting close when I saw this. An old fire tower foundation. These are usually near the highest point.

Found it. GPS makes finding these a lot easier.

I'm at the top of Mozark Mt.

Looking for benchmarks is something I like to do when I'm hiking around. Here's a web page I previously created about them.
What is a Benchmark?

It got down into the 30's both nights I was out but with the Webasto heater I was snug as can be.

On the right side of the above picture you can see the first iteration of my kitchen cabinet. This is just the framework with a plywood top but it gave me a chance to test out the size. Some adjustments are needed.

While hiking I came upon this. Anyone know what it is?

It has a small solar panel but no markings of any kind. Just curious.

Update: Mystery solved. According to the Forest Service it is a remote rain gauge.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #455

looks like some kind of air sampler for methane or something. Any underground mines near by?
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #456
Site Team

Quote:
Any underground mines near by?
No active mines. Coal has been mined around here since the 1800's. About six miles away, as the crow flies, is what's left of Coketon WV.

Click picture to enlarge

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #457
Site Team

Mystery solved. According to the Forest Service it is a remote rain gauge. Remote being the operative word since it's at least a two hour hike from the closest road to reach it. Of course if it was closer to a road some yahoo with a gun would have shot it up by now.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #458
Site Team

House battery frame and venting, Post 5

Need to add vent fans to the lid. Even though hydrogen is lighter than air and should naturally flow out if the vent outlet is higher than the inlet I want to give it some assistance. The amount of hydrogen gas produced by a charging battery at any one time is fairly small so I won't have to move a great deal of air. I'll be using small 12 volt "muffin" fans. This is a induction type fan so it has no brushes that might produce electrical sparks like a regular motor.

I'll make the fan enclosure from some scrap pieces of plexiglass. Create a mock up from cardboard first.

Then use some smoking matches to see if it will really move air through a hose. It does.

Start work on the plexiglass version. As an added safety feature stack wire mesh to create a flame arrestor between the fans and the inside of the vent lid.

Countersink the edges of the hole then sandwich the wire mesh between two plexiglass pieces. The countersinking allows the two pieces to be in contact over their length with the wire between. This will be the base of the fan enclosure.

Start cutting and drilling plexiglass pieces as I come up with a design.

While most of the enclosure is glued together I want to be able to replace the fans if needed.

Drill and countersink holes for nuts.

Starting to take shape.

Added small rectangular pieces to the inside to keep the fans in place.

Use a bead of silicone around the edges of the fans to increase air flow. Then do the same to the edges where the enclosure screws together.

Completed.

Hook it up to a power supply to check that the fans run and I didn't gum them up.

Attach a length of hose and see if it will move some air.

It does. It will almost blow out a lit match.

Figure out where to position it on the lid.

Add connectors to clean up the wires.

Use a bead of silicone where the fan will bolt to the vent lid.

Here's the view from inside the lid looking into the fan enclosure before I cleaned out the excess silicone. Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a jellyfish?

This is the original vent lid I made for the first battery box. I'm about to use a hacksaw to remove the bungee cord hold downs from the lid ends.

Success.

Here they are attached to the new lid.

continued -

On a different note this is what I've been working on today. The kitchen cabinet is starting to take shape.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #459

Hal The Van

Looks like a nice solution. Is the fan upstream or downstream of the batteries? If downstream are you concerned about the hydrogen being ignited by the motor?

What brand are the waste cans under the sink? Have been looking for a solution like that.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #460
Site Team

Downstream:
Quote:
I'll be using small 12 volt "muffin" fans. This is a induction type fan so it has no brushes that might produce electrical sparks like a regular motor.
Those aren't the waste cans but my water cans. I figure 2 x 5 gallons should be enough for most trips. The PVC piping is for the as yet not built greywater tank that will go under the van.

I bought the cans from here www.buylci.com

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG