Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #591
Site Team

Re: Hal The Van

Hey Stan you raise a excellent point. I hadn't thought of that. I don't want to flip the bolts since that would put the nut on the outside making the panels easier to steal (another reason why I didn't go with VHB tape). I can trim the bolt so they are no longer than necessary then coat the ends with silicone. Once it sets up it should protect the canvas.

Quote:
As always great stuff.
Thanks for the encouragement. I do appreciate it.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #592
Site Team

Solar Panels continued -

The brackets that will go between the two panels will have to be made a bit different. Instead of the panel being bolted to holes drilled through the square tube I'll weld 1" angle iron to each side of the tube. Then the mounting holes will be drilled through the angle iron. Figure out what will be the best length and placement for the angle iron.

Tack weld on the angle iron and check how it fits.

Weld up the two middle brackets.

At this point I realized there was simpler design for the bracket. Instead of adding a length of angle iron on each side I could have just added it to one side and mounted the second panel through the tube like I'd done with the outside brackets. Since I'd already welded on the angle iron went ahead with the original plan. One advantage of the wider bracket is that the larger gap between the panels should help with cooling. Solar panels become less efficient as they heat up so the cooler the better. Might be better this way.

Get all the mounting holes drilled.

Bolt on the four brackets to one of the panels.

Put the panel with brackets on the roof.

Bolt the other two end brackets to the second solar panel and put it on the roof.

Bolt the second panel to the middle bracket.

Using a couple bolts and the first set of holes drilled through the top to position the front panel. Didn't tighten down the panel so it could be moved a bit. Lined up the two panels so that they where in the middle of the roof.

Double check then check again. When I'm absolutely sure I got it right start to drill the other four mounting holes using the hole in the bracket as a drill guide. Just start the holes but don't go all the way through the top since it's down.

Remove the panels from the top of the van then raise the penthouse. Finish drilling the holes through the top.

continued

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #593
Site Team

Solar Panels continued -

Warning: I wrote in the last posting about drilling through the penthouse top. Don't know if this is a common problem with epoxied fiberglass but after drilling one of the holes I reached up underneath the top to pull off a stray fiber and it sliced into the tip of my finger like a razor blade. Not that bad of a wound, compared to some others on this project, but it did surprise me.

Next up was to figure out the electrical wiring. With the two panels the first question was to connect them in series or in parallel. In series the panel output voltage is doubled but in parallel the amps is doubled. According to the solar controller manual doubling the voltage would be outside it's recommended range while doubling the amps was not, so in parallel they shall be.

Now think how to route the wires.

The panels come with these MC4 connectors. If I cut these off it would void the warranty so I bought a pair of extra cables instead. Those I can cut up.

Found this out the hard way. To disconnect the connectors on the panel slide the shield out of the way then take two small screwdrivers and squeeze them on each side.

The connectors will pop apart.

There will be a bunch of cable slack underneath the panel that needs to be organized so it doesn't hang down. I'll be using nylon anchors and zip ties to keep the wires in place.

Didn't want to trust the foam tape that came with the anchors so scraped it off and replaced it with VHB tape.

Each of the two cables I bought had a male and female end. I cut and spliced them so that one wire had two male ends and a uncapped wire while the other had two female ends and one uncapped wire. These would be my two parallel cables. Used wire nuts where I joined the wires.

Then covered the wire nut with heat shrink.

This will be the wire route. Notice where the two wires cross between the panels. I'll come back to that.

So how to get the wires through the penthouse top? If I was to drill straight down through so that the hole is outside the canvas then the wires would extend upwards outside the edge of the solar panels. Don't much care for how that would look beside it would be more apt to leak. Have to think of something else. Time to bring out my most important tool. My thinking stool.

So I'm sitting there thinking, do a lot of that, and looking around the garage when I see this on a shelf. A nylon rod. Gives me an idea.

Cut off a section of the rod. Drill two holes in the rod. Each a little larger than the diameter of the electrical wire on the parallel cables.

Bisect the rod at a 45 degree angle.

Find a piece of scrap wood the same thickness as the roof. Knew that roof measurement I took earlier would come in handy. Hold the half rod tight against the plywood and use it as a drill guide.

Slide one of uncapped end wires through the half rod and plywood to see where it exits on the underside. The small tip of the half rod lies almost directly above where the wire exits.

Using that as a guide decide where is the best place to put the half rod on the roof. For this picture I have the van turned around from it's usual orientation so this is actually the drivers side.

Cover the bottom of the half rod with VHB tape and stick it to the penthouse roof. Use it as a guide to drill through the penthouse top. Really took my time with this since I was drilling at such a shallow angle

After using both holes in the half rod as drilling guides you can see that the two holes line right up with the bolt hole underneath the roof. Really glad I got that right. Epoxy treated these holes just like I did with the bolt holes.

continued.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #594
Site Team

Solar Panels continued -

Run the wires for the solar panel through the roof to check their fit.

Looks good.

The roof is slightly narrower at the rear of the van. This caused the outer edge of the rear most set of brackets to almost overhang the roof. Take both of these brackets and shorten the angle iron slightly to correct it.

The mounting holes in the roof were drilled with the brackets in their current configuration. I'll have to remove the brackets for painting and was worried that all the holes wouldn't line up again if the brackets got mixed up. To prevent that I took a file and made a small notch on the angle iron of the three brackets on the drivers side.

Remove all the brackets. Weld a small metal square over the open end of each tube.

In the last posting I mentioned about where two wires cross between the panels. To protect those wires in the open space between the panels weld a piece of 1" angle iron to the bracket end closest to them.

All done. At this point used a grinding wheel to round the corners on all the angle iron pieces.

Get out my box of painting supplies.

Cover the brackets with the same NAPA paint and clearcoat that I use on the van.

If I'm going to paint the brackets, might as well paint the solar panels. One reason for painting them is I didn't like the way the black panels looked on top of the white van. The other reason is I'm betting most people will not really notice them thinking that they are nothing more than those white racks you see on work vans all the time.

While waiting for the different paint coats to set up it gave me free time to do some cleaning under the penthouse top. Something I'd been neglecting up till now.

Also clean and treat the penthouse rubber edge gasket.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #595
Site Team

Impressive detail and write-up, as always.

Why don't you just go all the way and open up the eastern US SMB? (Only half kidding). Maybe a partnership; U Joint 4x4 and SMB-Hal conversions?

Herb
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #596
Site Team

Thanks Herb. Considering I started on this van in 2009, don't think customers would care for that kind of a wait time. Anyway, doing it for money takes the fun out of it.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #597

Wowzers, impressive engineering, as always (and nice write up). Installing solar panels is on my to-do list, but down the road a bit. I'm thinking of using Thule or Yakima tracks, though.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Wowzers, impressive engineering, as always (and nice write up). Installing solar panels is on my to-do list, but down the road a bit. I'm thinking of using Thule or Yakima tracks, though.
Watching the build thread as well. Good job!

I used two Thule/Yakima tracks end to end on each side of the top, glued down with 6300, and secured with stainless steel mm Phillips head screws and Thule plastic knobs (ss nut insert) every 8" in the supplied screw holes. Has not leaked in 8 years of snow on the roof and 70-80 degrees inside. To connect the panels together, used 2" aluminum T (upside down) secured to those Thule/Yakima special track bolts. OP is correct heat degrades panel performance. So his gap between panels is probably better than my end to end tight method. I will post pictures eventually.

BTW, although I haven't gotten around to it, the Thule/Yakima tracks would permit the use of a fairing in front of the panels.

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #599
Site Team

I interrupt this solar panel thread for a little video I shot tonight after getting the new and improved sofa-bed wired up. I'm holding the camera while Tiger works the switch that powers the sofa-bed.

http://youtu.be/PL4qhuY19Es

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #600
Site Team

Thanks guys. I'm not familiar with the Yakima tracks but it looks like a smart way to mount the panels.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG