Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #651
Site Team

Re: Hal The Van

Quote:
I bet going through airport security is hell!
There is that problem but on the other hand the chicks really dig it:
Quote:
"Is that a 1/2" drive 7/8 inch deep well Kobalt socket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #652

" Is that a breaker bar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? " Would really make the girls happy.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #653
Site Team

Fridge Cabinet - Post #4

If you look back at the pictures from the first postings about the Fridge Cabinet you'll notice that I'm continually moving the metal framework from the van to the garage and back again to do work or take measurements. The framework is light and easy to move. That's what I really like about constructing the cabinet this way.

With the framework done, drill some holes and bolt it in place.

The front bolt extends through the floor into the area enclosed by the underfloor storage box ("The Basement") so there's no worries about water incursion from underneath.

The frame top will be bolted to the metal shelf that runs along the side of the penthouse opening. I put down tape first to prevent the cloth headliner from catching in the drill bit and snagging.

Don't have a picture but there is also a bolt through the back floor brace. With the framework bolted into place I started tugging on it to see how solid it was. It's rock solid. Got the van swaying in no time.

Take the framework out again to prime and paint it.

Don't remember if I've mention before about my system for reusing paint thinner. I'm using oil based paint and primer so the brushes must be cleaned with paint thinner. If you plan ahead you can keep reusing the paint thinner instead of throwing it away.

I use three paint thinner containers. A new paint thinner can, a reuse jug and a waste can.

After cleaning the brushes pour the used paint thinner into the waste can.

If you let the waste can sit for a few weeks the paint and primer particles will settle out to the bottom of the can. Next time you're going to paint, carefully pour out the paint thinner into the reuse jug leaving the sludge behind. The used paint thinner will acquire a slight tint but will still be clear. If it's cloudy then it needs to sit longer. Use the paint thinner from the reuse jug to clean the brushes. The can of new thinner is to make up what's lost due to evaporation or for when paint needs to be thinned. Since I don't paint constantly this system works well for me.

Been using my current waste can so long that it now has 5 lbs of paint sludge on the bottom after draining.

Put the painted frame into place and just insert the bolts to position it.

Slide the fridge into place.

There are four mounting holes for the fridge. Mark their position on the framework.

Position the TV.

Use the TV mount as a guide for marking the framework.

Will need two cover panels for the sides of the fridge cabinet. Have to duplicate the curve of the wall panel where it meets the front cover panel. Can't find my compass so make one up from an inside divider, marker and masking tape.

Use that to trace an outline of the wall onto some posterboard.

Here's where the back cover panel will go. Along with meeting the curved wall also have to consider the eight tie-down points and ventilation for the fridge.

These are the cooling fins for the fridge. After some thought decide to leave these uncovered. That should increase the fridge efficiency.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #654
Site Team

I'll take a little break from the current project for a camping report from the weekend before last.

I went biking along the West Fork Trail.

The trail is all that's left of a logging railroad that's now part of the Monongahela National Forest. The trail runs along side the West Fork of the Greenbrier River

Along with the scenery there is plenty of wildlife like this critter.
[youtube:1x10jiks]

Speaking of wildlife, something I learned on this trip. A sheep going "BAAAAAAAA" right outside the van at 3:22 AM will wake you from a sound sleep.

Whoever came up with the idea that sheep help you sleep never met this one.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #655

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
x2

Cool vid BTW. He was really giving you a show. Scare ya did he?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #657
Site Team

Quote:
He was really giving you a show. Scare ya did he?
Scared no. I've faced off with angry beavers before (wink) but it sure did startle me.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #658
Site Team

Fridge Cabinet - Post #5

Use template to transfer the shape of the forward side panel to 15/32 plywood. The end of the sofa-bed already covers the bottom half of the fridge cabinet so not going to bother with it.

Cut the plywood then check the fit.

Slight problem with the rearward panel. The plywood wasn't long enough.

Nothing a little extension couldn't fix. Should have done a better job of wiping off the excess glue.

Here's the panel with the cut-outs made for the tie downs.

Test fit.

Next up is to cover the panels. Another trip to Lowes for some Formica. Here's a tip if buying a sheet of Formica. First get yourself a couple lengths of string. Usually there's a roll near the front of the store for tying down loads. Then grab a sales associate. The two of you can roll up the sheet and then while one holds it the other can tie. Don't try to do this by yourself. I'm sure it can be done but it's so much easier with two.

Lay the panel on the back of the Formica and mark out the cut lines. Be sure to leave a one inch margin.

I've tried different methods for cutting the Formica and this is my favorite. Lay the sheet face down placing a 2x4 underneath along the cut line. Use the 2x4 to support the jig saw as you make the cut. Keep the edge of the 2x4 as close as you can to the cut line.

Glue the sheet to the panel using contact cement. After it sets up use an trim router.

Be prepared for the mess.

Use a drill to create a holes where the tie-downs go. Finish up with the router.

Here's both panels and the rectangular piece for the top of the cabinet after finishing.

Since I'm into cutting Formica, might as well do something about the front of the fridge. The current cover is dark. Think I'll brighten it up.

On the inside of the door, lifting up the magnetic sealing strip along the bottom exposes two screws.

Remove the screws then slide off this plastic piece from the bottom front of the door.

With the bottom plastic piece removed you can now slide down the front door veneer. WARNING- This black sheet is metal and has a razor sharp edge! Found out the hard way.

Using the black sheet as a guide, cut out a Formica sheet the same size. Install the the Formica sheet on the front of the fridge.

Reattach the bottom plastic piece. I like this look better.

So I'm wanting to screw the bottom plastic piece back in place and I can't find my screwdriver. I knew I just had it but it's no where to be found. I'm looking everywhere and it was really starting to bug me since it was just here! I have other screwdrivers but by now had the bit in my teeth and wasn't giving up. Won't tell you how long till I figured it out.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #659
Site Team

Say "Hello" to my latest tool/toy. It's a Bridgeport mill.

I needed some help offloading it.

Since the cement outside the garage is neither level or smooth the last few feet were some of the hardest.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #660

Sweet! I've had a mill in the garage for the last several years, and don't know how I got along without one. I use it all the time for everything.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote