Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #691

Garage
Re: Hal The Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Thanks Pschitt. Passed through West Virginia yet in your cross .
No, not yet but I'll probably visit it in the coming years, don't know when yet... Anyway, I'll let you know when I will.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #692
Site Team

Garage

uhmm I work for this company called Eaton and we have drives all kinds of drives. I hate to Murrey switchs and the like LOL .

I have a few single phase to 3 phase drives that are 3/4 horse I think and its the old series.

Let me know Ill go look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Here is a picture of my VFD and Safety Switch:

Opening cut in the box to see the readout on the VFD. It is made by AC Tech. Here is one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-TECH-VARIABL ... 4176afe451

The control for the VFD is on an umbilical so it can be moved wherever I want it:

I should get another one for the lathe.

Mike

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #693

No great novel is complete without a tragic plot twist

Anxiously awaiting future posts in the continuing adventures of HAL.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 AM   #694
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Hey JWA,
I'll jump ahead of the story little to tell you that your estimate was within $31.92 of being exact.

Good call.
Can't get much closer than that huh? And that was just a dumb luck guess, shot in the dark or maybe I know more than I think I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Wow! JWA wins the jar of jellybeans!
Well thank ya Sir---on behalf of the entire board and of course the academy I accept this award with grace------------------and no small amount of humility and shock.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #695
Site Team

I didn't mention in the previous post that before having Hal towed to the repair shop I'd talked with the manager about which engine to get as a replacement. It was obvious that a another engine was in order. He quoted a price for a junkyard engine but I passed on it. I wanted a rebuilt. Tried for a Jasper rebuilt but they don't carry Ford 4.2L six cylinders anymore. Guess there's not enough call for them.

Manager suggested Spartan rebuild which is the Advance Auto house brand. I checked on line and found some complaints but the manager said he's not had any bad luck with them. Problem was my options where limited so went with the Spartan engine. Quoted me a price of $2600 for the engine and $760 for labor. There was a possible additional damaged core fee of $200 but I heard nothing more of that so my engine must not have been too far gone.

After ordering the engine it took close to three weeks before it was delivered. Was told that none were in stock so it had to be assembled.

How the engine looked when delivered. It came in a black packing case.

It's probably never going to look that clean again. The gentleman to the right in the middle picture is Derrick who will be doing the majority of the work on Hal.

I had to leave town for a few days just when the work got started on the van so there's not as many photos as usual.

Here's the front view with most everything removed.

Found the cause of the original oil leak. This is a piece from the side of the oil pan. Told me that a rod had shot out of the engine and broke this chunk off.

In the photo the engine has been removed. You can see a floor jack holding up the transmission.

This was a weird looking view without the engine in the way.

Old engine.

They found a safe place to store the hood, on the sofa bed.

Rebuilt with all the pieces from the old engine transferred over.

New engine in place.

Here's the replacement to a couple of the pieces that were too rusted to reuse. I told them to replace anything that looked iffy.

They put it all back together in no time flat so I don't have anymore pictures of the repair but a quick story. Manager calls me at work and wants to know if in all my customization I've done something to the headlights. They can't get them to work. Turns out that the headlights that used to work both failed when reinstalled. Most likely from being knocked around. Since neither light worked they thought it was an electrical fault.

The bill:
Spartan Reman Engine $2600
Oil and Filter $32.95
Anitfreeze $36
Spark Plugs $28.32
Tow Bill $85.00
Water Pump $129.70
Thermostat $17.70
Exhaust Flange Bolts $16.20
Exhaust Manifold Bolts $13.38
Coolant Hose $157.48
Oil Cooler $275.95
Belt $48.50
Headlamp $54.22
Shop Supplies $20.00
Labor $760.00

Tax $256.52
Total $4,531.92

Pay the bill, start up the van, and listen to that new engine purr. Most definitely you can hear the difference.

So pack up the van and go camping and biking along the C&O Canal.

Running up and over the Allegheny Mountain Range that separates West Virginia from Maryland I got a real chance to try out the engine. Everything was just fine until I noticed the check engine light. Checked the code numbers. They were P0171 and P0174. Cleared the codes to see if they would come back. They did.

continued

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #696

Garage

Happy to see Hal running again!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #697
Site Team

Maybe a vacuum leak somewhere?

BTW, I think that bill for the labor was well spent.

Herb
Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #698
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

It's nice to see Hal was spared the scrap yard fate contemplated earlier. The upside to the new engine is reliability which is pretty much priceless IMHO. Glad your first trip out with the refreshed Hal went well.

Your CEL codes are pretty minor, easily diagnosed and repaired most likely. Since they're the typical engine vacuum related DTC's a quick check of the PCV and its hose/tubing back to the throttle body---most of those codes relate to something amiss in that area.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #699

Welcome back Hal! That looks a lot like my story a couple years ago, but wow do you have a lot of room under the hood with the v6! Enjoy. It's very comforting IMO to know you have a brand new engine under the hood. Lots of confidence in that.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #700

Holy Moly that Labor Cost is insane!!! Ford Dealers around here want that amount just to do a full fluid change.

Did you feed them a steady supply of IPA to keep the time cards low or something?
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote