Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #11

Re: Has anyone tried these headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
In order to properly utilize HID's, you need to retrofit a projector housing into the headlight housing. Just putting HID bulbs in a halogen housing will create hot spots since there isn't anything to direct the output and makes it incredibly bright to oncoming traffic.
Agree. The headlights I bought have a built in projector lens, visible in pic above.
Question for you(or someone who knows)......

I just ordered the lenses shown above and am getting ready to install them. If I'm using the stock bulbs....should I remove the projector lens(it looks like it's simply screwed in place).

Thanks!

BB

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair

Question for you(or someone who knows)......

I just ordered the lenses shown above and am getting ready to install them. If I'm using the stock bulbs....should I remove the projector lens(it looks like it's simply screwed in place).

Thanks!

BB
I didn't. I don't think it will make a noticeable difference.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #13

Garage

Tapatio --

When you and RAWDAWG purchased those lamps, did they include the L.E.D. lighting strip that is mounted in the lower edge of the lamp housing?

Wondered if that was something that needed to be purchased elsewhere, or separately. Also curious how simple the plug-and-play nature of installing these was. (Do those L.E.D.'s just become daytime running lights? What function are they wired into? (turn signal, running lights, etc?))

I think I saw these same lights on SMB forum member Nick's rig, they looked pretty nice.

Thanks - !
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #14

The lense thats on there isn't really a projector. It looks like its the manufacturer's version of a bulb shield used to block the scattered light coming straight off of the bulb. Removing it wont give you any more usable light, it will just be annoying to oncoming traffic and maybe cause more hot spots.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #15

I installed these on my van a few weeks ago and thought i'd share a couple of photos to help give an idea of how they turned out and the difference in performance.
sorry for the links.

https://flic.kr/p/p5ngUM

https://flic.kr/p/oN8TTd

hope this helps.
Tim
teedublya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #16

What lenses and bulbs did you convert to?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ
What lenses and bulbs did you convert to?
I should have clarified. These are the lenses in the original post and silverstar ultra bulbs.
teedublya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #18

I purchased these a couple of years ago. I ended up scrapping them because they had a large dead spot in the projection of the light. Had a big dark area right in the front middle of the van. I assume the reflection mold in the headlamp assembly was messed up, although I didn't notice anything obvious upon inspection. I also tried adjusting them to no avail. It could also be that they were cheap and made in China, lol. Hopefully others have had better luck than I with these. Needless to say, I am still on the hunt for better light!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2004-FORD- ... 4622d13157
Home built interior(soon to come)
Gonejpn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonejpn2
I purchased these a couple of years ago.
I ran those for about 100,000 miles. I only recently swapped them out because they had become really pitted, beyond what I could polish out. The pattern was REALLY poor with halogens. I tried HIDs on a whim, and the pattern was pretty good!

I recently bough the "other" style Euro light (the one pictured early in the thread, with the smaller diffuser in front of the bulb to convert into projectors). Because of the small diffuser, I would not recommend using HID bulbs. The diffuser simply will not block the scatter from the longer HID bulbs. I ended up converting them to projector HIDs using The Retrofit Source. They final outcome looked great, but to be honest I'm not a fan of the very abrupt cutoff. It's great in town, but not on the open road. That abrupt cutoff really works best with Active headlights (like our GLK350 has). If I wasn't towing so often, I could probably find a sweet-spot adjustment point, but as of now I actually like Euro Headlights with the large diffuser and HID bulbs better. The pattern wasn't as uniform as the projectors, but they put light where it was most useful and did not blind oncoming traffic (i've been on the other end just to be sure).
Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #20

Were the housings pretty easy to bake apart? I'm planning on doing a projector retrofit soon but I've been hesitant on buying a set of headlights because I don't know if they will bake apart. Not very many people have done the retrofit so info is sparse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonejpn2
I purchased these a couple of years ago.
I ran those for about 100,000 miles. I only recently swapped them out because they had become really pitted, beyond what I could polish out. The pattern was REALLY poor with halogens. I tried HIDs on a whim, and the pattern was pretty good!

I recently bough the "other" style Euro light (the one pictured early in the thread, with the smaller diffuser in front of the bulb to convert into projectors). Because of the small diffuser, I would not recommend using HID bulbs. The diffuser simply will not block the scatter from the longer HID bulbs. I ended up converting them to projector HIDs using The Retrofit Source. They final outcome looked great, but to be honest I'm not a fan of the very abrupt cutoff. It's great in town, but not on the open road. That abrupt cutoff really works best with Active headlights (like our GLK350 has). If I wasn't towing so often, I could probably find a sweet-spot adjustment point, but as of now I actually like Euro Headlights with the large diffuser and HID bulbs better. The pattern wasn't as uniform as the projectors, but they put light where it was most useful and did not blind oncoming traffic (i've been on the other end just to be sure).