Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #11

Re: Headliner Size?

Don't forget the 7/32" ... I think I have one in all of my sockets. Better make sure before you drop cash and walk the dog again. About this time I'd start bringing tiny bits of flat metal to make my 1/4" fit- usually only have to do one side.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #12

Good point. I found a 5mm socket driver today - just 2 bucks, right? Didn't fit. Too small.

I'd forgotten about 7/32nd. This is turning into more of an adventure than I had planned, but I will persist. The rewards are high and failure is not an option.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

It was 7/32nds!

Fits perfectly. Still not sure how much I like it, but I think I'll grow into it.

Must replace the visor clips as they provide a little support for the headliner and I moved the existing ones to the shelf.

I think that, if I can close off the back, it'll work out. Now, it's just an open shelf. BUT, it should be perfect for the CB, so I'll make it work.

Photos later if I remember.

p
Old 03-31-2011, 01:08 AM   #14

Hey Paul,

Was wondering if you had a chance to snap a photo or two of the shelf. Any more comments now that you've had it installed for awhile?

Thanks,
Brent
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #15

Hi Brent.

Sorry, but I forgot to post the photos. I'll post them here now.

My impressions? The install was pretty easy, once I found the right driver size. It took a little bit of finessing to get it mounted finally, but it all looked straight once it was up. I had to grind down the visor clips - on the closest surface at hand: asphalt - before they would go into the shelf. They had no provisions for clip holes, but that took about 20 seconds to correct.

I'm still trying to figure out whether I like it or not. It does not obstruct vision at all and it will hold the CB well. My biggest issue is the space at the rear of the shelf. I have to figure out a good way to plug that gap. For now, I'm using the foam that sat on the shelf, but I need to come up with a better solution.

Here are photos.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0517.jpg   IMG_0518.jpg   IMG_0519.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #16

Can you make a cardboard template to fit the contour and then use small L brackets to attach a thin piece of wood in place? Seems like an kind of obvious oversight for a shelf....
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #17

That's probably the ticket. I just need to get to more pressing things first, like the CB install and a slight re-configuring of the cabinets, before I get to it.

I need to do it when I'm not rushing or I'll frack it up. Oak tag for the template, but essentially what you suggest. If I get the measurements close enough, even screws up through the shelf through to some half inch clear pine might do it without the need for L-brackets.

I'll keep you all posted.

p
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
even screws up through the shelf through to some half inch clear pine might do it without the need for L-brackets.
I also wonder if you could go on the windshield edge of the shelf, use a thin board and put the screws in horizontally, into the front edge of the shelf. Hard to tell from the pictures, I'm sure once you get in there to do it something will make sense.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #19

So, I had a sheet leftover of Luxury Liner Pro - from Second Skin - from my sound deadening, insulating phase. It's about a half inch thick of dense foam in a sandwich of some kind of rubbery material.

I cut a strip of it about four inches wide by the length of the windshield, then I folded it carefully lengthwise and slowly pushed it against the front of the shelf space.

I know this sounds flimsy, but it actually seems to be pretty stable and solid and I think I'm going to go with it for now. It's such a cramped space to work within and this worked so well that I'm just going to see how it goes. It's hard to get a good shot of it - lots of gray on gray on gray - but I'll keep trying. In the meantime, it seems to be functioning as it should.