Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Help please! General van questions from a new guy

Hopefully I will be the new owner of a GM 12 passenger van in the next 2-3 weeks, I have a broker friend scouring the area for me. Going GM because of the ride (disabled vet with major back surgeries), really like the 6.0 over the 5.4 for power reasons, and I don't need a diesel and it's added expense.

Since I won't be going full-on campervan with this one (three kids, young family, selling the wife on camping in the first place) this will be very mild compared to some of the beautiful rides I've seen posted here. I will be needing this van as a daily driver, tow rig, people hauler, and a base station for our multiple activities. I need to maintain both form and multifunctional use for all these things...kind of like a Swiss Army knife.

I have some questions for the group that I would really appreciate an experienced point of view on.

Having been in a friends van recently, the rear 4 person seat is great for sitting, and nothing else. Are there kits available to covert an aftermarket seat into bed setup that utilize the existing floor mounts? I really don't want to get into an accident and watch my kids fly past me. I also like the dual functionality of seating that converts into a bed for those weekends when I can talk grandma into watching them and me and the wife head out. I'm not opposed to mounting a seat myself, but I'm inexperienced with it and feel the stakes are pretty high if I get it wrong.

GM side barn doors don't come all the way open like the Ford ones do. I've seen some absolutely beautiful door galleys from Sportsmobile and Colorado Campervan, but with the doors not fully opening it really limits access to the cabin area if you're using the door galley. Is there a mod available that fixes the doors allowing them to open, or am I just plain stuck?

Does anyone have any experience with Boulder Offroads lift kit for the GM's? I'm not converting to 4x4, I'd love to but it's just not that important for me right now. A small lift and some all terrain 10 ply tires will be more than sufficient for anywhere I need to go with this thing. Any issues with shocks, or steering geometry? Trouble with alignment, or ride?

Trying to do as much of the work myself as I can, small budget and would really like to try to make this a family project to build the excitement to use it.

Thanks,
Josh

Vancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

One more thing.

Is installing a swivel seat base for the passenger seat a wise thing to do for the newer vans with airbags?
Vancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancave View Post
One more thing.

Is installing a swivel seat base for the passenger seat a wise thing to do for the newer vans with airbags?

They are awesome for camping..........first thing I do after shifting to park is swivel the passenger seat........

I would imagine that virtually all of the vans on the forum with swivel seats have air bags........including the ones SMB builds.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Is it legal to drive with the passenger seat swiveled backwards?
LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #5

If your just doing a lift kit then I'd take a look at some of the stuff Weldtec Designs I'm SoCal is going as well as the Boulder option. My van does much of what your asking about doing with yours but mines a Ford. I'd suggest skipping the mounted galley for your money until well later on down your list. You can stow a good camp kitchen in the back and use an awning to be in business pretty quickly. Ive never wished I'd spent money on a mounted galley.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandVan View Post
Is it legal to drive with the passenger seat swiveled backwards?
I do not believe that it is. For vans delivered with seat swivels there is usually a sticker saying something like do not drive unless the seat is forward facing.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
I do not believe that it is. For vans delivered with seat swivels there is usually a sticker saying something like do not drive unless the seat is forward facing.
I've got a Sportsmobile sticker on my visor that mentions it. Is that an actual DOT thing?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #8

Either DOT or RVIA or both. Have seen them in other types of RVs as well. Our 1989 SMB was pre air bag and it had one. My guess is that the seats are not designed for the forces the develop in an accident when they are facing backward.

I know from experience that it is possible to break the seat back hinge mechanism in an accident even if the sear isn't facing forward.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

I can't imagine in a thousand years that it would be legal, and in California I can't imagine in a million years it would.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I can't imagine in a thousand years that it would be legal, and in California I can't imagine in a million years it would.

As far as I can tell, the laws in California are actually a bit murky.

Essentially, though, the two front seats are considered the driving compartment, behind that the 'house car' part. So I imagine the front seats have to keep facing forward.

I did a bunch of research a few years back to determine if passengers could drink while I drove.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote