Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
For DFarkus -- any chance you could supply the McMaster part numbers and specs on the cross member bolts (length/diameter) and neopreen spacers uyou used on your PH pop top fix ? I'm probably going to have to do the same repair. If springs are OK - is it easy to replace the cross member bolts without doing all the shoring up in the corners, etc. ?

I'd be grateful for any assistance ! Thanks !
Consider reading this entire thread.

It's extremely difficult to replace the pivot bolts without supporting the roof.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #22

I had a problem with the nut backing off of one of the bolts on my SMB Texas-built top. SMB Fresno (now Field) used these braces to support the top when they installed new shoulder bolts as a warranty item.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #23

Nice share. American 2*4 engineering at its finest.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #24
Orv

Garage
I'll be honest, I'm dreading having to do this job some day. The energy stored in those springs scares the pants off me.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I'll be honest, I'm dreading having to do this job some day. The energy stored in those springs scares the pants off me.
It should....that's a healthy and smart response.... similar to garage door springs......Just take your time and understand what's holding the roof up at all times. You can make it a safe job; I've done about 5 pivot bolt replacements and maybe 12 spring adjustments and haven't broken my neck and still have all my fingers.
2003 Honda Element
Old 11-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #26
Orv

Garage
Yeah, I get it. I don't like using suspension spring compressors either, for the same reason.

So far mine have held up. I have a manual roof with no added weight, which I suspect cuts down on wear some.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #27

Reviving this thread

I'm getting ready to replace the crossbar bolts and the front pivot bolts so will have the springs disconnected. With our electric top is there any advantage to shortening the chains a couple links as is suggested to help with the manual tops? Or maybe a better question... is there any reason I would not want to do that?
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
Or maybe a better question... is there any reason I would not want to do that?

I see no reason not to.......I would consider sleeving the crossbars too if you have stuff on the roof. Ideally you want to get close to "neutral buoyancy" like your garage door if you disconnect the opener and lift it.

I don't know how much effort it is to disconnect the linak actuators on the power roofs but you should aim to have the roof raise and lower with roughly the same effort. if you have stuff on the roof it likely takes more force to raise than to lower.
2003 Honda Element
Old 02-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #29

I finally got around to doing this job a few days ago with the help of my brother in law and his shop. After unhooking the springs it was a battle getting the bolts out of the cross bars (and virtually impossible to put back in) because the alignment was so out of whack. What I finally realized was I had wedged the 4 corner posts in too tight and the top was extended beyond where the mechanism would normally hold it fully open. Once we remedied this issue it worked quite well.

The original bolts at the cross point were shoulder bolts (2003 Fresno build) and still looked good. we replaced them with the suggested new bolts I sourced from MC anyway and added the suggested nylon washers.

The front lower pivot bolts were both roached from the stress of only being supported on one side. After reading a comment Badger made about fixing this issue we used angle iron as a bracket to support the outside of those bolts. We threaded the receiving hole so the bolt screws in securely.

And lastly - we shortened the spring chains by 2 links each as highly recommended by boywonder.

After 18 yrs of use, many times with loaded sea kayaks on the roof, the top had started creaking and raising one side before the other. it also was no longer holding the canvas as tight as it once did. With this maintenance it now goes up and down straighter, higher, quieter and the canvas is taught.

Couldn't have done it without the help of this forum and its generous contributors.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #30

Garage
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^