Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #1

Help with Scissor Bolts

Hey there SMB people,
I could use some advice. I sheared one of the scissor bolts on my poptop and am trying to replace it. I purchased 2 Grade 8 bolts and associated hardware to replace both sides. Figured why not if it's up and I'm going to do one, might as well do the other.

I have the top all the way up (that was an engineering feat) and cannot locate the holes. They're still quite a ways off even thought top is up.

Any recommendations on how to align the holes so I can feed the new bolt through?

Cheers and thanks for any advice you may provide.

DFarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #2

Following...want to replace mine and kinda scared of replacing them.
I need to rent an apartment next to BoyWonder for a year....
soloalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #3

Garage
We had to navigate the 4 corners until the holes align...took some time to get them right. Not sure how you have your roof propped up, but we had pulleys mounted to rafters (one at each corner) so the process was a little tedious, but not exhausting.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Hey TwoXentrix, do not have a place with rafters to attach pop-top. Suburban garage...too small. Per previous threads, thinking I will need to build platform, lift pop top with jack and then align. Have an easier way? Your humble follower.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #5

Hopefully the bolt that is intact is still in it's hole(s)

Have you supported all 4 corners well and removed the extension spring tension from the side you are working on? If not, it's possible but extremely difficult......you'll need to recruit a couple of high school linebackers from your neighborhood to align the holes.

I highly recommend using shoulder screws to replace the crap that SMB puts in. Replacing with grade 8 bolts does not address the issue of parts of the crossbars wearing on the threads of the bolts.....using shoulder screws addresses this issue. It's really a wear issue and not a screw/bolt strength issue.

If you just want to reuse the little SMB nylon spacer then you'll need 1/4" shoulder screws 2.25" long.

The best fix is to use 4 nylon saddle spacers and 2.75" length screws per side; that's the latest config after doing a half dozen of these repairs. If you haven't seen this I can point you to a thread here.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloalpinist View Post
Hey TwoXentrix, do not have a place with rafters to attach pop-top. Suburban garage...too small. Per previous threads, thinking I will need to build platform, lift pop top with jack and then align. Have an easier way? Your humble follower.

I do it by cutting 4 pieces of 2x4 lumber and propping up each corner of the roof. Cover the 2x4's with rags to avoid damaging the headliner.

Work on one side at a time...use a come-along to release the spring tension on the cross bars....replace pivot bolt.......reconnect spring tension/chain. it's a perfect time to adjust your PH springs while doing this.

If the holes in the crossbars are egged out drill out to 5/16" and use 5/16" shoulder screws.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

Hey Boywonder, I know you have posted the specs and links before for spacer and bolts. BTW, I am an electrical engineer on the component side. Previously, I went to your links and there were many choices with McMasters and used your guidance, but could not find the actual replacement. Would you be so kind as to give them again in this thread, with actual orderable P/Ns? Also, humble follower of you as well. If you ever hit Colorado, Fort Collins...will buy you case of beer...keg

Grazie,
Terry
Old 10-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #8

See this thread...

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ed-5080-8.html
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-03-2021, 03:41 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloalpinist View Post
Creativity is your friend here - I have a shop close by that mainly works on Jeeps, but his operation is well equipped and has high rafters. He does a lot of custom fabrication, and that's how we became friends. fortunately he also had 4 electric pulleys.
Since I read in your first post that you have the top up already, I'm assuming you used wood to support each corner: If you have a bottle jack, and a piece of 2x4, seems that making adjustments in each corner would be relatively simple (using something to shim them each with would be needed as well). Just remember that all 4 corners need adjustment for a single bolt, its not as simple as adjusting only the two ends of the pop top on the side of the repair (at least that was our experience).
I agree that a couple linebackers may help the process go quicker, But you'll need more than a case of Beer!
Old 10-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #10

Hey everyone,
I gotta say it...you all are the best!!! Such great advice. Getting the corners up and tight is tricky. I'm doing this at my house in the driveway so creativity is definitely key here. I ended fiddling around with various mechanisms until I arrived at using hydraulic jacks at the corners followed up with 2x4's cut to length. At least that's where I'm at now. I'll get a come along and work on the spring tension. I'm heading to McMaster/Carr today to pick up the needed bolts etc. I'll keep you informed as to now it goes. I'm replacing both sides...seems like the right thing to do.
Cheers and thanks again. Much love and respect for the advice.
DFarkas is offline   Reply With Quote