Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Home Brewed RVs' & getting RVIA Certificate for RV Insurance Policies?

Does anyone know anything about getting a home brewed RV certified under RVIA so you can get RV insurance. Seems that's a deal breaker for the companies that offer RV insurance.

leety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Garage
I did it for VivaLaVida. If I remember weel, the van should carry a water system, en bed and a stove. This is about the only condition to retitle it as a RV.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
I did it for VivaLaVida. If I remember weel, the van should carry a water system, en bed and a stove. This is about the only condition to retitle it as a RV.
Yea recertification @ the DMV doesn't qualify the vehicle for RV Insurance or RV Financing. That's the easy part. I think I found a company that can certify it for me to qualify for RV insurance (much less expensive) and also financing so if I ever sell it someone can get a loan for it.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Seems different insurance companies have mixed conditions to qualify for RV coverage. I got all kinds of answers from agents that was wrong. I made 3 calls to Progressive and got different answers during each call. Before going to extremes cost wise, you might want to find out besides RVIA what else is needed for them to accept your vehicle as a RV. The main thing I ran into the porta pottie. Most told me the head had to be a solid mount with black water tank.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Garage
check with your state/county. it's different everywhere. in idaho your rig needs to have at least 4 of the 7 requirements to be legally registered as an rv.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

For sure each jurisdiction seems to have different rules from the DMV of your county to the insurance companies to the auto club. I think I found a company that can certify my build to take care of all of them. This is what the RV builders go by.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

So what company will certify your home built as an RV for insurance purposes?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #8

I'm still investigating the company, I'll let you know once I verify them.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

Garage
VivaLaVida is insured as an RV by Progressive.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #10

What state are you in? I called Progressive and they said they wouldn't insure it if it wa home built. Do you have an agent you work with? Every company I spoke to said it has to be certified by an authorized builder. this might be a California thing.