Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Home Build Option 80/20

This looks like it could be a good option for the home build crew. I was looking at it a bunch yesterday and the product seems to have limitless potential.

https://www.8020.net
https://www.8020.net/getinspired

CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #2

Re: Home Build Option 80/20

Check out this build thread on ExPo if you haven't already. You can see its application inside a van.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... er!/page35
Old 11-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I believe our own MGMetalworks uses or has used this or something like it in a project or two.

It seems like a near perfect product allowing an end result that's somewhat easily assembled and very strong especially inside an SMB or mini-RV.

Thanks for sharing the link!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Wbp

There are a few guys using it over on the sprinter forum site. I am considering using 80/20 on my bed pull out when I get started which I hope will be soon doing a mockup right now.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

I've been eyeing it as well, I believe Ujoint's roof ract is made of it.

It just looks fun the play with, may have to buy some for a work project, and keep the "leftovers"
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #6

thumbs up on the 80/20. Also there is a competitor; T-Slot... which has distributors closer to my location (Like Portland Oregon). Also they will help out with the design.

Link to T-Slot

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 AM   #7

I love all the 80/20 builds. Looks to me like a great application.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

You will be impressed with how expensive it is to work with. It is all the custom hardware and machining that really adds up, but our finished product turned out really nice.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

Yes expensive...
And...For any who are inclined to brave the DIY build, the _cost_ will be magnitudes less than if a shop like VanSpecialties or OutSideVan does the job.
While my wife and I did do a wood mockup and spend two seasons tweaking our design, it was the fabrication/work done by VanSpecialties in metal/marine-ply/formica that finished off the rig to our liking. IT WAS EXPENSIVE!! About four times the cost of what T-Slot materials would have been (not including my wife's and my time to build it if we'd gone that route).

YMMV.

If there is a Van 2.0, knowing what we know, we _might_ go with 80/20 or T-Slot.

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Tossing around the word "expensive" when talking about aluminum extrusions is silly. Expensive compared to what? Wood? Yeah, it costs more than wood but a 2x4 isn't a fraction as versatile as an aluminum extrusion.

Expensive compared to steel? Sure, it is more expensive by the foot than 1" square tube. But how many steps are there between a raw steel square tube and a finished assembly?

Aluminum extrusions like 80/20 or Bosch Rexroth or Tslot or the Chinese knock off stuff is in a class by itself in my opinion. It is fairly priced for it's versatility, strength, weight, durability, resistance to corrosion, speed of assembly, precision dimensions, etc...

The SEMA van's interior cabinet and all of the framing under the seat weighed in at about 75lbs. Try to beat that for both strength and weight with that particle board/MDF/low grade s**t pile plywood material SMB and VS uses in their interiors.

Aluminum extrusions are easy to work with. You can cut them on a good miter saw with a decent blade, you an machine the ends with the proper set up in a mill or drill press. You can find piles of the stuff in surplus all over the country. It goes together quick, you don't need to paint it, it doesn't rust, it looks clean, not susceptible to water damage... the list goes on...

Expensive? For all that? HA! I think it's a bargain. The weight savings alone would probably pay for the extrusions and hardware through better fuel mileage.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote