Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

home stretch of E350 build - general interior build questions

Hey Gang!

After so much time working on this build, I'm finally approaching the home stretch and building out the interior. So far all of the work has been on facilities (solar, electrical, heater, insulation, flooring, suspension & maintanance, etc). Right now I am putting up the wall panels and planning out cabinets and final details. Here are a couple questions I have as I'm planning out the interior cabinet spaces, etc.

This is a 2008 E350 Quigley low top. I plan on doing a full build write up once I'm done but gotta build this thing first.

My hope was to just use this thread to share ideas and get some input from people who have more experience either from a build standpoint or living out of the van stand point.

• Gray water - do I need a gray water tank or can I just run a pipe straight out of the floor? After thinking about it, I decided I do want a small sink for washing hands, face, brushing teeth, dishes, and filling water bottles - any pro's or con's for going with or without a gray water tank? It seems to me like draining with a pipe straight to the outside is easy and saves space but I don't know if that's foux pas in the van community.
  • Water tank - was planning on using this scepter 20L tank as a tank. I'm going to be living in the van mostly solo with an occasional guest so I figured 20L would probably be enough for ~4 to 5 days. Do you guys agree or should I get two? Where do you guys usually fill up for drinking water? If you're living in the van full time?
  • Water pump - I was doing some research on options for this and thinking about just a foot pump for simplicity, however, given that my van is a low top (no PH) and I can't standup in side of it, a foot pump seems like it might be a pain to actually operate, my concern with a mechanical pump is that it might freeze during the winter, etc, etc, other plumbing problems - is that actually an issue? Is it easy to just drain a system if temperatures are freezing?
  • Any other thoughts on or general comments as I start out the interior build? I'll try to put up some floor plans shortly

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

Garage
We have a sink with a road tube we use on dirt. For pavement we have a catch jug on the ground. Rv parks require it or hooking up to sewer. If you're stealth camping a greywater tank might be better to avoid that embarrassing trickle...

We use 20L scepter cans for fresh water. For 2 people we have 2 for a weekend. We also have a hand pump that is mounted on a Scepter lid. We are planning to upgrade to a 12v submersible pump and mini faucet just for convenience. The water will drain back so no freezing issues. Just 2 feet of flex tubing.

We fill up at home and at campgrounds. Sometimes at a gas station if its not in a city.