Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Re: Homemade Transformer Idea - what do you think?

I've been busting my butt trying to come up with a layout design that could Transform from a 5-person transport van into a 2-person RV. I've been assuming the second-row bench seat had to be removed to make room for the RV modules, especially a Gaucho style of seat/bed. All of my designs so far have been based on the Transformer idea, removing the bench seat and replacing it with additional RV modules. This is a tough design to figure out! Some ideas have been kept. Many have gone in the trash....

But last night, I had an epiphany!

Now, my new focus is to STOP designing around a bench seat that gets removed, and now to simply keep the seat INSIDE the van all the time (permanent). Let the bench seat double as the BED, too!

I have to find a bench seat that'll fold down FLAT and be comfortable to sleep on, but I'm pretty sure such things exist. Then, when the seat is folded flat, it'll be a matter of measuring out the remainder of length needed for a full bed, and making a bed "extension" that'll fit between the rear cabinets (kind of like how the table rests on a ledge at the dinette seats). It'll be OK that the extension isn't as wide as the bed (seat), because that'll be the foot end. I could always angle the cabinets back a little to help "shape" the overall bed better. That'll be designed later.

The driver's side cabinets will be a little narrower, but will be large enough to house a porti-potty, general storage, etc. The passenger side cabinets will be 24" deep, which should be enough to house the sink, electrical components, fresh water tank, and a Tote-Along gray water tank concept (directly under the sink). The van isn't planned with any additional side windows, so the cabinets will be floor-to-ceiling, possibly angling back a little to increase visibility out the back windows.

Overall, this is a much better and easier layout/concept to design around, as everything can now be built-in! No modules needed. No racking my brain trying to figure out what is removable and what's built-in. No more removing that bench seat! It's still technically a Transformer (transforming from full-use RV for 2 to capable 5-passenger transporter), but without needing to remove and switch-out anything! Whoo hoo!

I'm excited about this now! Too bad I probably won't even be able to afford the base van until my minivan is paid off! But it's fun to design it in the meantime. I'm still researching all the components, including insulating the floors/walls/ceiling, cabinet styles and materials, electrical and plumbing details, etc....

Here's my design so far. Sorry for the horrible handwriting. I was excited and in a hurry.

And yes it fits into an RB. An EB would just give more storage space!

If you have any suggestions, design change ideas, etc... I'm open to any constructive (or destructive) criticism. LOL...

Thanks everyone!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #12

Hi, Those beds seem short for the guys/galls on the sides??? Or is the extention going to go over the whole width of the van?
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabman
Hi, Those beds seem short for the guys/galls on the sides??? Or is the extention going to go over the whole width of the van?
The single bed will be the same width as the bench seat, probably about 4 feet across, and probably about 4 feet long (when laid flat). The extension will basically be for the lower legs and feet of two people (my wife and I), and will extend as long as needs be (probably another 2 feet).

So, the overall size of the bed will be 4 feet wide by about 6 feet long (widest at the head end, and gradually sloping down to about 2 feet wide at the lowest spot). Which should be adequate enough for two married adults who sleep next to each other all the time. This would provide plenty of width for pillows, heads, hips, etc... and minimal room for our lower legs and feet. Think of it as a large-scale mummy sleeping bag sort of shape....

I guess it looks confusing. Our feet will be down at the cabinet area (towards rear of van), and our torsos/heads will be towards the front of the van, ON the actual bench seat (folded flat)....

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #14

Just thinking out loud here... feel free to ignore If your cabinets are going to be floor to ceiling, you'll have plenty of space - how about open spaces on the end of the cabinets, at the height of the bed, where you've angled your bed inwards. When the bed is not a bed but a bench, these could be used to store pillows, blankets, etc. When the bed is down, they would provide space for your feet. The open space would only have to be a foot or two tall, to accommodate your feet.

Anyway, cool design, glad you're having fun with it! Epiphanies are great when it comes to planning - I had a few (actually, my wife had them!!) when designing our van that really changed the course of what we were planning.

Cheers!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #15

Mike, great minds think alike. I had designed some "cut outs" in the cabinets for our feet in the design prior to this one! But I was afraid I'd be wasting valuable storage space.

Keep in mind that I'm not necessarily designing the bench seat (back) to flare inwards. Most I've seen in photos actually do this, so I'm designing around that idea. I'm probably sketching the flare way too pronounced, as it might only flare back 3" total. It'll depend on the actual bench seat I have IN my van when I get it. I'll design specifically around "real life" when I have it in front of me.

I did find an awesome seat/bed system, but I'm not sure how it would work in a 2nd row fixed bench seat layout. Plus, they're only made in the UK. But I loved the design! If I could find a semi-local manufacturer of something similar, I'd be set! But even an OEM bench seat might work, if it laid flat.

I'm not planning on getting a $5,000+ SMB penthouse top installed on this, just so I can save some money. I'm already spending a small fortune (to me) on the electrical system (solar panels, controller, huge AGM battery(ies), etc.), so I need to "cut costs" wherever I can. Sure, a pop-top would be nice so I could stand up, but I'm planning on NOT spending much awake time in the van anyway. It's more for transport/storage/sleeping. I started designing in elevation, too. I'm hoping it won't get too "small" inside without a pop-top.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #16

That UK bed seems quite nifty... but I would be worried about comfort... although this depends on how long you plan to stay in you van... REIMO make several transformer bed as well...

I guess you have the opposite problem I have for US car parts... shipping is high $
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #17

I had looked briefly into the REIMO seats, too. As well as Discount Van-Truck.com, and I found this, but it doesn't look like it goes flat.

There must be someone in the USA that makes customized bench seats that fold flat. I'll keep searching the internet.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #18

We live in our van, even in nice weather we just swing the doors open. There is a big difference with the top up, but we also manage in it with the top down when conditions dictate. It's not impossible without it, but I wouldn't want to give it up for the rest of the time.

Still, both used and fixed pop-tops have been installed by DIYers on this forum, and LenS had SMB put one in a fully built out van, so it's not an irrevocable decision if you decide you can't live without it down the road.

Incidentially my F250 has custom leather seats, the rear bench of which folds flat. It's not a complex system, the arc that would normally allow the seat to fold forward is reversed and it has two positions up (slightly reclined) and totally flat. I can take photos if you're interested. It came from a company in Elkhart, IN who was advertising the custom seats for long haul drivers, as the rear bench becomes a bed (albiet a bit small). Not sure if they're still around or easily found.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #19

Thanks jage! It's good to know that SMB would still install a Penthouse top even after a buildout. And I could even do it myself (although I don't think I'm quite that handy). I'm sure having a pop-top would always be preferred over not having one, but we do plan on using the RV primarily for a place to rest/sleep when not outside enjoying nature.

If you could let me know the name of the company that made your seat, I'd appreciate it. I know there's a place out there that has what I want. I just have to find them! LOL.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
I did find an awesome seat/bed system, ... If I could find a semi-local manufacturer of something similar, I'd be set!
Dave,

As you said thinking alike...

If you find an US manufacturer please share...

I am looking into these:

If you want to see them bigger look under and click on the picture:
http://www.westfalia-van.de/en/models/b ... no_cache=1
and
http://www.westfalia-van.de/en/models/j ... erior.html

But built in Germany will have to ship them...

Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote