Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #11

Garage
is the van 4wd?

was rays 4wd?

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #12

Actual buyer/younger brother of bemerritt. Super pumped to become a van owner and start the project. Spent more than I had planned on the base van (original budget was 10k) so it will slow down the upgrades but once I test drove it I couldn't lose it over $500.

I will post some pics once I have it but part of me is still nervous he could get a better offer in the next 7 hours and I get hosed haha.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
is the van 4wd?

was rays 4wd?
The one I am buying is 2wd
Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #14

BenJJ - Congrats!

GRAB that Espar D2 that someone posted. See if you can get it for $600. That is killer deal for a brand new D2 w Hi Altitude kit.

Let the hemorrhaging begin!!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
... Spent more than I had planned...
^^^ get used to that.

welcome aboard and good luck with the purchase. I bought mine sight unseen 2500 miles away from home. scary moment for sure. at least the one your looking at can be touched prior, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #16

I can't imagine buying sight unseen. bemerritt and I crawled all over the thing inspecting every nook and cranny.

As for the Espar D2... per wife's request the first thing I need to do is find a bench seat/captain chairs to put in and get some windows. After going 3.5k over budget on the van I don't have a lot of negotiation room with her haha.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
I can't imagine buying sight unseen. bemerritt and I crawled all over the thing inspecting every nook and cranny.

As for the Espar D2... per wife's request the first thing I need to do is find a bench seat/captain chairs to put in and get some windows. After going 3.5k over budget on the van I don't have a lot of negotiation room with her haha.
First time she's cold while camping, she'll be asking you why you don't have a heater installed.

I remember when my wife was wheeling with me one of the first times ever in my Bronco. Got my diff stuck on a stupid rock (more my fault than my Bronco's), and she turned to me and asked "Why don't we have 35's and what's a locker?".

So much easier to spend money when it's their idea.

Herb
Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
First time she's cold while camping, she'll be asking you why you don't have a heater installed.

I remember when my wife was wheeling with me one of the first times ever in my Bronco. Got my diff stuck on a stupid rock (more my fault than my Bronco's), and she turned to me and asked "Why don't we have 35's and what's a locker?".

So much easier to spend money when it's their idea.

Herb

I had almost the same thing happen. I was on the back downhill side of Elephant Hill in the Canyon Lands. My barley good enough brakes would not hold the van in place with full foot pressure. Pretty sketchy feeling. Five minutes later.... my wife responded with "So why have you not installed bigger brakes on the van?"

Sorry for the little hijack

And congratulations on the new 7.3 Van, I love mine!
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
... I was on the back downhill side of Elephant Hill in the Canyon Lands. My barley good enough brakes would not hold the van in place with full foot pressure...
Been on Elephant Hill with my Bronco. That's a place you want low gearing and/or good brakes.

Had to read your post twice. 'Barley' good enough brakes as opposed to 'Barely' good enough brakes. Maybe use brake fluid as opposed to beer in your brake system?

Herb
Old 06-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #20

Garage
Good score! I looked for 3 years before I found mine. A 2001 7.3 conversion van with 80k. I got mine five years ago and paid 6500. I'm pretty sure I was lucky. The funny part was I was on a trip to Atlanta from Portland when he agreed to sell it to me. At my layover in Denver I just didn't get on the plane and he picked me up and I drove it home. Great trip. Whoever said let the hemorrhaging begin I can second that.