Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

i have a question on this back seat style

what holds the center up???? i like this style

MrWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

Re: i have a question on this back seat style

I had that seat arrangement prior to a total interior strip-out and rebuild.

To answer your specific question, the seat bases slide out on a track that is made into the cabinetry and are actually relatively stiff, but not "solid". The seat backs drop down after the bases are situated. The net result is a bed that is too short for a single occupant over 5'7", and would be a misery of a sleeping surface for two people, unless both were at/under 5'5". I think those set ups were intended for kids, while the penthouse is more capable of accommodating adults.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

There is a board that runs the length of the seat that slides in a track along the side.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #4

We have these on our 98 EB van. Ours also have a leg that folds down in the middle of each bench when the bed is deployed, giving it additional stability. We can stand on ours without deflection.

We actually really like ours for sleeping. I'm about 5'9" and my wife is 5'3", so we aren't all that tall, but it works for us. Key is having the SMB inset-wall option, which gives you an extra 4" or so on each side of the bed.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
We have these on our 98 EB van. Ours also have a leg that folds down in the middle of each bench when the bed is deployed, giving it additional stability. We can stand on ours without deflection.

We actually really like ours for sleeping. I'm about 5'9" and my wife is 5'3", so we aren't all that tall, but it works for us. Key is having the SMB inset-wall option, which gives you an extra 4" or so on each side of the bed.
Mine definitely does NOT have that inset wall option, but it's about to. I slept on it one night and was miserable. I felt like a sardine. I actually like being down below as opposed to up top for a change though. A lot warmer closer to the furnace!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
We are about the same size as Brian and his wife and have no problem sleeping. We have the insets in the walls and they really help. The other thing that helped was to switch to smaller size pillows. We found that the full size pillows took up to much room. We also upgraded the seat cushion foam. The 1989 foam had seen better days.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #7

thanks again for the info....

i have cushions i can use from a dinette set of a cab over camper... i use them now by just putting them on the floor... so i was thinking of making a base to hold them as a couch and them turn into a bed...

need a pic of the insets in the wall that your talking about...

thank you
Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

In the picture you posted, look below the windows. The sidewalls are inset, out to the outer sheetmetal, to give more room. I'm 5'10" and it is marginal for two of us. By myself I go diagonal and have plenty of length.

I have the same rear dinette with no support under the middle of the opposing cushions. But, the drawer slides on the sides of the cushions are strong enough for me to stand in the middle.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #9

thank you Ford E350

im wanting to lay length wise front to rear of the van not side ways
Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #10

Here is a photo of the block out in the wall. There is on on each side of the van. It is about 33x12 and. Aries from 4" deep at the bottom to 2.5" at the top in my 89 E150.

Sleeping the long way is a great idea but will eat into you cabinet space. My cushions are 4' wide. Would have to add two feet to the length to make it comfortable to sleep on but it would give you a nice wide bed that was about 70" wide.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388871013.070592.jpg