Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Ice chest drain hose -- ideas needed!

Here's a fitting tha might work.

Stainless - 3/8" MPT x 3/8" Barb
For putting a Stainless barb on on a 3/8" ball valve.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/17418/ ... _8%22_Barb

Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #12

Absolutely crawl under before drilling. On my Chev Express the gas tank was far away from the rear of the drivers seat. Check twice, drill once, repair nothing.

I like the grommet jage put on his floor hole. Mine doesn't have one and it takes me awhile to find the hole sometimes with the carpet pile hiding its location.

The bear country comment is good. To be honest, in that event I will just pull the hose up and wrap it through the ice chest handle. As long as we use the drain hose we have no floating asparagus problems and all the stuff that is in the ice clean and lasts much better.

I put a set of aluminum rails near the top of the ice chest. Set a large plastic rectangular wash bin on them and put in it anything we want to keep both cold and DRY. Cut several 3" diameter holes in it so the cold air moves around. Works good. The small bin that came with the chest was never big enough and long ago cracked and died.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #13

Side note

I was looking at your floor plan a couple of days ago. You might want to consider making you bed about 3" wider. Looks like our original day bed with - 26"-27" wide. We found that with was OK for resting and a naps but not so good for a good nights sleeping. On our sides and moving around in our sleep it was just to narrow. 3" wider and I think it would have been OK. Our isle is 20" wide as it is and we could not make the 26" wide day beds any wider even if we wanted to. Isle would have just got to narrow. Your layout with the desk appears to have 27" or so wide isle. Something to consider if you still have time.

The Green TARDIS
Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Jage, when does one get over being nervous about cutting holes in the van?
About 3 minutes after cutting it.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
I was looking at your floor plan a couple of days ago. You might want to consider making you bed about 3" wider. Looks like our original day bed with - 26"-27" wide. We found that with was OK for resting and a naps but not so good for a good nights sleeping. On our sides and moving around in our sleep it was just to narrow. 3" wider and I think it would have been OK. Our isle is 20" wide as it is and we could not make the 26" wide day beds any wider even if we wanted to. Isle would have just got to narrow. Your layout with the desk appears to have 27" or so wide isle. Something to consider if you still have time.
LenS -- Oops, I need to post a new floorplan and pictures. Those old plans -- well, I made the crosswise bed layout, and after a year and 15,000 miles decided to change to a center aisle. And I had a year to think about how I really use the van, so my ideas about the center aisle layout changed as well.

In the new center aisle layout, the bed is 30" wide and 72" long, about 18"high. There are six Ikea Antonius baskets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177606 underneath (turned sideways, they neatly fit by the wheel well.) The aisle is about 18" wide. On the passenger side, I have a counter with storage underneath (again, more Ikea baskets.) Rather than have a dedicated desk, I put in a sliding top (sort of like an old-fashioned pastry board that slides from under the counter); I can pull this out and sit on the bed when I want to work on my photos on my laptop. The counter/storage unit is about 21" deep.

The bunk and storage counter/cabinet are built (I'll post pictures later in a new homebuild thread iin the next few days). I'm working my way forward, and so now building the section that has the ice chest up above a 10" tall storage cabinet, and then a set of 14" wide shelves/cabinets (haven't decided yet) directly behind the drivers seat.

After that, the two major outstanding items are:
  • Galley box. In the old build, my box rested on the floor in front of the 40 side door, and was acessed only from the outside. Not good in the pouring rain. I'd like to mount the box on the 40 door, so that it is accessible both with the door open, and when the door is closed. Figuring out how to mount something on the door is the next question; I might zip over to SMB-TX and look at a van in progress.[/*:m:1thgzrbb]
  • Storage boxes on the rear hitch hauler. These need to hold (1) van/mechanical stuff, plus the Coleman stove and fuel can; (2) sporting goods: bike stuff including floorpump, hiking stuff, showshoes when applicable, etc.; and (3) "longer stuff" -- a rollatable, a camping chair, a Kelty sunshade, etc. I could use heavy-duty plastic tubs (eg Action Packers), or build custom boxes.[/*:m:1thgzrbb]

Yep, definitely need to start a new build thread. Or Bill will get cranky about no pictures.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #16

Sounds good. Post, post, post, pictures, pictures, pictures, layout, layout, layout

The Green TARDIS