Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #21

Garage
I was curious about having to lift all 3 cans simultaneously to get them up there BUT I have discovered that when using the Rotopax extension kits that you can put the first can in place and secure it and then continue to the adding the next can and so on so fortunately I won't need a floor jack to get the stuff attached when in full.

Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
When i was a kid my dad called the hose in his trunk for emergencies his Oklahoma Credit Card
Cant tell you how much I enjoy the humor on this Forum...still laughing at that!!!
Old 08-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #23

Garage
OK, I was too excited and got to installing this stuff this weekend. See the photos for the fit up of everything. Very pleased so far but definitely need a good off-road adventure to check everything.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #24

Glenn,

I just saw this thread, but I did some thing very similar to what you did for extra gas storage.

I use the spare tire winch to raise and lower the spare tank to make it easier to get to. I also added a cross bar to ensure I don’t lose anything on a rough road.

It has worked pretty well. We have put on about 5000 miles carrying the extra tank. It does collect dirt and rocks, and the plastic tank has scratches from rocks.

Here is the thread documenting how I did it.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-20698-16.html

>> Corey
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #25

Garage
Thanks for sharing that Corey, looks like we went down a similar path. By eliminating the winch in my setup it gave me room for about 4 more gallons of fuel it seems in the same space but I have to crawl under and lay on my back to get mine in and out. Like you said, not a big deal compared to a very long walk!

Obviously we both wound up putting fuel under there but it could be water in those cans, or perhaps I could carry a couple with diesel for the van and one with gas for the ATV, chainsaw, stove, flamethower or whatever else I choose to bring along.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #26

Garage
A little update on this setup as I now have put it through a year and a half of abuse. While I can run 3 4 gallon cans, I typically roll with just 2 for a total of 8 extra gallons. I have done 150 miles of nasty Death Valley dirt including the washboarded Harry Wade road and up and over Mengal Pass and Goeler Wash, hundreds of dirt miles of Utah near Escalante and some exploring out in Nevada and the setup has proven to be rock solid. Hope this helps any of you looking to utilize that wasted space with a solid solution for your needs.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:07 PM   #27

Interesting thread, and I’ll do some more research on Aero Tanks for mounting in the (former) spare tire location. I was looking for a Scepter can mount for an aluminum trailer box and settled on AT Overland as it is aluminum (less weight and fewer corrosion problems on an aluminum box) and it fits either the Scepter water MWC or fuel MFC cans. It also fits on a Rigd swing away spare tire carrier between the tire support and rear doors of an E-350 with a Class IV receiver.

https://atoverland.com/products/at-can-holder-scepter
DevineIntervention is offline   Reply With Quote