Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #1

Garage
Ideas for water tank where spare was located on E350

I am about to remove the spare from under my E-350 and relocate to a tire carrier from Aluminess. I'd like to install a water tank underneath in the spare location. I don't have a sink/shower, just looking to reduce the space taken up with water cans on the back rack/box on the van. I can't be the first to have done this and was hoping one of you knows of a premade kit for doing this. I can design, cut, weld, source the stuff but at this point I'd rather buy what has likely already been designed and just install it. Any ideas out there?

Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

I'm interested in the same. I have the U-Joint floor locker and skid plate so there is a sizeable space between the front of the floor locker and the rear diff that I would like to use for a water tank feeding a outside shower set up.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #3

Two threads that might be of interest:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post279406

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-x32-6108.html
Old 08-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #4

Garage
I'm sure you've taken into account the fact you'll have to guard against cold weather if you are installing these tanks exposed to the elements - with that said, when I had my boat at one point I considered adding an additional water tank - never got that far, but this outfit was recommended by 2 different boat yards. I never talked to them, but still happen to have their name & number in my Phone (just looked up their web site for you):
Custom Waste & Water Tanks | Moeller Marine

Again, I had no dealings with them so have no personal experience - I'm sure there are other shops that do the same (maybe one closer to you???)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #5

On our EB I ut the water tank between the diff and the rear crossmember, https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post221096
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #6

Garage
This forum is outstanding and I appreciate the thoughts you all have posted. I was thinking water tank as I carry 10-15 gallons of water in 5 gal Sceptre cans with me when I travel. The idea of the gear locker that was suggested was also excellent and got me to thinking about what I could put in that and free up space so that water cans could be loaded inside the van....This led me to thinking, why not just put in an aux fuel tank down there, which is already a common item, and get the 2-3 5 gal fuel cans off the back of the van making way more room for my water cans and other stuff! Ahhha! It is the great ideas that come from all of you that have helped me look at things differently and it is very much appreciated.

So new idea is to put a 40 gal aux fuel tank down there from Aero Tanks as I am close to them and ditch my fuel cans. While I do already have a 40 gal main tank, I once had a fuel tank strap fail causing my tank to drop and drag on the dirt road and grind a fist sized hole in my tank. Not that bad normally but I was about 50+ miles on dirt road back in Saline Valley near Death Valley and easily 75+ miles from any kind fuel station so watching a full tank of fuel vanish was not a good feeling. After siphoning 15 gal of diesel from 3 different helpful folks and with my best MacGuyver duct tape patch on the tank and a cargo strap to hold it in place I made it out of there but if I hadn't found some other diesel vehicles along the way I'd have never made it out. And that duct tape patch was leaking it out about as fast as I could put it in at the end!!! It's always an adventure out there, we just can always plan what experiences the adventure will give us!
Old 08-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn P. View Post
...I once had a fuel tank strap fail causing my tank to drop and drag on the dirt road and grind a fist sized hole in my tank... and with my best MacGuyver duct tape patch on the tank and a cargo strap to hold it in place...
Glenn, Its these small comments which people like you share that make us all the wiser!

A bolt securing one side of the front fuel tank strap "popped" on me as well couple years ago, as my chassis twisted a little when the front passenger tire navigated a deep rut. Fortunately I was going slow to begin with and heard the bolt pop, so no damage to the tank.

Prior, one of the Members here posted he made use of a couple straps to hold his broken front leafs together during one of his excursions (thought that was a novel idea so I purchased some spare straps for that "just in case" scenario). Sure enough - that's what got me going again too!
Old 08-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

Garage
I did some looking around and here are the choices I have to put fuel down underneath in the spare location.

A. Use a combo of RotoPax fuel cans and mounting brackets/locks at around $400 and have a max capacity of 8 gallons that I would need to remove and put into my tank when needed. I'd have to do the fitting myself.

B. AeroTanks can install a 40 gallon tank in that same location and at my request and additional cost plumb it to be a completely redundant second tank with a switch in the cab to select the tank I am running on. With labor and skid plate option and tax it's just under $1,900

Option A is certainly less costly but doesn't provide that much extra fuel and it doesn't help me at all if a get a hole in the primary tank, like happened to me before. Option B gives me more fuel than I need but absolutely solves my desire for a redundant tank. Option B is normally used as a transfer tank at around $1,500 installed with skid plate, labor and tax.

I'm certainly leaning towards what I really want, option B, but that is a lot of money. Have to see what's left after all the new Aluminess stuff arrives and hopefully go with option B.

Hope this helps anyone else considering doing something similar.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #9

I vote for option B as the other would be a lot of work for very little gain.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn P. View Post
I did some looking around and here are the choices I have to put fuel down underneath in the spare location.

A. Use a combo of RotoPax fuel cans and mounting brackets/locks at around $400 and have a max capacity of 8 gallons that I would need to remove and put into my tank when needed. I'd have to do the fitting myself.

B. AeroTanks can install a 40 gallon tank in that same location and at my request and additional cost plumb it to be a completely redundant second tank with a switch in the cab to select the tank I am running on. With labor and skid plate option and tax it's just under $1,900

Option A is certainly less costly but doesn't provide that much extra fuel and it doesn't help me at all if a get a hole in the primary tank, like happened to me before. Option B gives me more fuel than I need but absolutely solves my desire for a redundant tank. Option B is normally used as a transfer tank at around $1,500 installed with skid plate, labor and tax.

I'm certainly leaning towards what I really want, option B, but that is a lot of money. Have to see what's left after all the new Aluminess stuff arrives and hopefully go with option B.

Hope this helps anyone else considering doing something similar.
Option "B" is certainly a trick setup, I like it. Before you go with the fully redundant arrangement do you have any need to fuel a dirtbike, SxS, generator or any remote equipment? Might want to have the new tank as a stand-alone supply and treat the van tank as just another item to refuel thru the standard fuel fill.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote