Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #21

Very cool thanks for all the info folks, much appreciated!! Soon after posting I started googling images of the sending unit and sure enough, it looked perfect to drill.

Noted on replacing the fuel pump - thanks for the intel.

And yes dropping the tank should be "fun"

Sorry to threadjack!

Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
Here is the diesel tap in our Ford E350 7.3 diesel van:
Marcel Huijser Photography | Camper van build | Eberspächer Airtronic Air D2 Heater
Note: I assume you are fueling a device that takes gasoline then, not diesel, right?
I had seen this installation and found it interesting. I thought I had read in the installation manual that the fuel pick-up for the Espar should be vertical.. but I could be wrong. I would also be very hesitant to drill into the actual tank itself, and much prefer to drill through the (removed) sending unit. But good on you for having the knowledge and skills to go through the tank!
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 AM   #23

Whatever method is used to install the fuel pick up, make sure it reaches to very near the bottom of the fuel tank. Some have the pick up terminating at 1/4 tank left. This is not for me.

I want to be warm if needed, especially with 7 to 10 gals of fuel in the tank. These heaters use .03 gals/hr, .33 gals/10 hrs. running on low continuously. If I am stuck and need to keep warm, I want to have access to the fuel in the tank. ymmv.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #24

Apache: my brother has welded and repaired gas tanks in the past. He drains tank and runs an exhaust hose from another vehicle into the tank and let's the carbon monoxide run into the tank for an hour before welding. Somehow it gets rid of the dangerous fumes. He's been a welder for over 30 years
SMB OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
I can't find the pics of the install at the moment but I drilled through the top of the sending unit mounting plate on our Transfer Flow 46 gal tank. There was plenty of room to accommodate the fuel pickup tube. It's probably a 1.5 - 2" opening. That part was easy... getting the tank out and back in - not so much.
i recently did this for the 4th or 5th time. It's not that bad. Just run your tank down to 1/4 or less first so it's easier to maneuver. Then get a piece of plywood and a floor jack to spread the jack's weight on the bottom of your tank. The tank is held up by two metal straps and the bolts/nuts on the end are on the outer side of the frame at the top, between frame and body at an angle. If they are rusty take my advice and just cut the straps off. They are easily replaceable and cheap. You can spend all day trying to get them off and you'll still twist the nuts off. The straps are less than $20 and you'll have the comfort of knowing new ones are under there. If you have Starcool, propane or any holding tanks under there it makes even more sense to just cut the straps and put new ones on. You'll see what I mean when you get to this point.

Drop the tank down a foot or so and you can get to the lines and electric plug from the right hand side of it, reaching up between the tank and the drive shaft. If you want a lot of room to work, pull your driveshaft. It makes it much easier. You can then remove the whole sender and pump without completely removing the tank if you like. You'll need Ford fuel line tools, available just about anywhere. Keep them for the duration of your Ford ownership. They are priceless when you need them.

It may sound like I've recommended some unnecessary purchases and steps but time is money.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-37000-C...isconnect+tool

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...el+tank+straps

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #26

Here’s how I installed the pickup for my Espar D4...

I put the pickup tube exactly an inch off the bottom to eliminate any debris picked up add to maximize amount of fuel used while not depleting it all the way to the point where I can't start the van.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Here’s how I installed the pickup for my Espar D4...
Thanks for the photo! I agree with you and Ray (1der) regarding the length of the pickup tube.. given how little fuel it uses, it seems prudent to put it within an inch or so of bottom of tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
i recently did this for the 4th or 5th time. It's not that bad...
Good tips that I agree with. No propane or Starcool to deal with luckily, this is a pretty "lean" build. But I will be replacing the fuel pump/sending unit assembly entirely - in my "welcome mat" thread I was warned of fuel pump failure in the V10 so while the tank is dropped... why not perform some relatively cheap preventative maintenance??
Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #28

Ah yes that's correct a GAS Espar.. I want a propane free setup other than 1lb cylinders and my girlfriend wasn't going to put up with many more nights in the ski resort parking lot.

Gas installations seem rare - not sure if it's merely due to the amount of diesel rigs and people using propane or if it's due to safety concerns regarding the flammability of gas.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #29

I think it mostly has to do with simple lack of popularity but they're catching on. Still, I'm putting a diesel one in a gas van. It has it's own fuel cell. I've heard of more trouble with the gas ones than the diesel and the diesel ones can be found cheaper. Those are my only reasons.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #30

Apache, do you have a steel or plastic fuel tank??

And Scotty, what troubles with the gas fired Airtronics have you heard about??

Tags
diesel, espar d2, heat, heater, install