Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #11

Garage
I had serious intake dust problems. I installed a new flex tube and mounted the opening facing down with a cap. Look at page 2 of this post that you should read.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...html#post12717

Old 06-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #12

There is an intake muffler as well as exhaust muffler.

one thing to be wary of with your fuel pickup is that if something there get's comprimised, it will empty your tank, but it looks like you got a couple inches safety there.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #13

Thanks so much Jeffrey and Flux! I will make modifications and post images once I am done.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #14

How much space is needed to mount the D2? I have a space under a cabinet thats about 6 1/2" x 19" and plenty of vertical clearance, that would be the perfect location. I'm just concerned about the width, that only gives me about an inch on both sides. the mounting plate would be too wide (though I could bend it) If heats a concern I found some heat resistant wood finish (up to like 500 degrees) I could cover everything around it in that heat resistant tape, fire blanket material, etc..
mrsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #15

Maybe the manual has details on minimum space around the unit. But make sure the air intake is not blocked when you built it in... the device takes cold air from van, heats it, and blows it back out warm. Note that air intake and exhaust for the flame that does the heating is a separate system for outside air (has nothing to do with air inside van). You could maybe work with ducts to get the cold air to the heater, I did not investigate. You can definitely use ducts to direct the hot air to one or more places in van (use y-splitter)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #16

I mounted ours under the bench seat taking advantage of an existing heat outlet hole. This arrangement has worked very well. As you can see there is very little side clearance in my install. I cut down the mounting plate to accommodate. The case stays relatively cool while the furnace is running. As Marcel said, give it space to breath at the intake end. I highly recommend an exhaust muffler as well.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
D2 Placement.jpg  
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #17

Can anyone please direct me to (or provide) more info regarding the fuel line tap? I'm kicking off a homebuild on my rig and have serious trepidation about drilling into my gas tank! Yes.. gas

I guess because you guys are basically all diesel there isn't as much concern about fumes, spark and combustion when drilling into the tank?

I was thinking the way to go would be to drill a hole into the top of the sending unit... anyone have photos or links to other (NON SPRINTER) fuel taps? I've been searching for quite a while.

Cheers!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #18

Here is the diesel tap in our Ford E350 7.3 diesel van:
Marcel Huijser Photography | Camper van build | Eberspächer Airtronic Air D2 Heater
Note: I assume you are fueling a device that takes gasoline then, not diesel, right?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheCheef View Post
Can anyone please direct me to (or provide) more info regarding the fuel line tap? I'm kicking off a homebuild on my rig and have serious trepidation about drilling into my gas tank! Yes.. gas

I guess because you guys are basically all diesel there isn't as much concern about fumes, spark and combustion when drilling into the tank?

I was thinking the way to go would be to drill a hole into the top of the sending unit... anyone have photos or links to other (NON SPRINTER) fuel taps? I've been searching for quite a while.

Cheers!
Seems pretty obvious the best way to do it is drain the tank, remove it from the van, get every last drop out, and drill your hole. Replace your fuel pump while you are at it because on a 2001 it will fail sooner than later. It isn't that hard of a project.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #20

I can't find the pics of the install at the moment but I drilled through the top of the sending unit mounting plate on our Transfer Flow 46 gal tank. There was plenty of room to accommodate the fuel pickup tube. It's probably a 1.5 - 2" opening. That part was easy... getting the tank out and back in - not so much.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, espar d2, heat, heater, install