Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #1

Garage
Insulated Blackout Shades

I just made a full set of insulated blackout shades for my RB. Pictures on my build thread if you want to see how I made them:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post265966

Old 01-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #2

Thoes are awsome. I've been searching for a set or ideas on how to make them. Did you do the side big windows too? What would you charge to make another full set for a RB e350?
dadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks, dadvan! Yes, I made the full set. Here’s what I wrote in answer to another member about making more. I stopped figuring up the labor cost when I hit $1000:

Hey thanks! Ya know, when I started out on these, I thought I might offer to do it as a service to the folks here because I couldn’t find any for my rig. But now that I see the number of labor hours it took (really, like dozens of hours), it wouldn’t be worth it for me or you. And, lo and behold, the Overland Gear Guy, a member here, stepped up in the interim and said he’ll make a set for anybody who wants them. So, I think I’ll leave it to the pros. Thanks for asking!”

But if, like me, you have more time than money and enough persistence, you can do this. I like to remember what my dad used to say: “It ain’t rocket science. If somebody else figured this out, you can too.” Of course, he was a little hard on us. But it’s been motivating!

I’m happy to share any info that will be helpful to you. You can PM me or, better yet, ask away on my build thread.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #4

Yea I'll probably tackle it soon. I was planning on using refletix covered with material on both sides. But I like your style better. Maybe I need to find a sewing machine to borrow lol
dadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #5

Overland Gear Guy's website only shows the rear door window covers. https://overlandgearguy.com/search?q=e350

I'm interested in something similar, but for the front windshield, plus these say they are for the E350. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't these more accurately be described as being for the Ford Econoline, not just the E350? Aren't the window sizes the same?

Maybe Overland Gear Guy can weigh in.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #6

Garage
YoTH, yeah, I think you’re right about the window sizes. A bigger issue might be about the possible differences from year to year.

The Overland Gear Guy doesn’t appear to have a stock of Econoline full sets. The shades for sale on his site are for a stripped door with no plastic trim (much easier, using magnets). On a recent thread here, he offered to quote the cost of a set to anyone who wanted to contact him for it.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post

I'm interested in something similar, but for the front windshield, plus these say they are for the E350. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't these more accurately be described as being for the Ford Econoline, not just the E350? Aren't the window sizes the same?
The van bodies and hence stock OEM window openings are indeed all the same from 1992 to 2013 which was last production year for the full-bodied E-Series.

For the windshield I'm using this eBay's sellers product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Fol...6zv4OBgrx6kWgQ

Those might not be as insulated as you're seeking but for privacy and minimizing sunlight greenhouse effect they're top notch. Unlike the cheap cardboard versions they're fairly substantial but have to be rolled up to stow away so they're not the most compact when not in use.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
For the windshield I'm using this eBay's sellers product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Fol...6zv4OBgrx6kWgQ

Those might not be as insulated as you're seeking but for privacy and minimizing sunlight greenhouse effect they're top notch. Unlike the cheap cardboard versions they're fairly substantial but have to be rolled up to stow away so they're not the most compact when not in use.

HTH
Thanks for the link. This might work. How's the thickness? I've been using a home-made sun shade I created from Reflectix many years ago. As time has gone by it's gotten worn and the silver coating is flaking off a bit. It was never a perfect fit to begin with, though not bad. I've thought of trying to cover it with fabric but my sewing skills are non-existent.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #9

Garage
Covercraft Windshield Sunscreen

I’ve been using this sunscreen for several years now and it does a great job. Mine came with a nice Ford logo across the front. It’s a terrific sunscreen and definitely lowers the temp by a lot. It’s thick enough (maybe 1/2”?) and stiff, so it folds up easily along the vertical axis. I keep it bungied behind my seat.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/pro...m-sunscreen.UV

It’s not as winter-insulating as my shade but with a foam core laminate construction, it’s pretty good. I’m thinking of creating an insulated cover and adding this as an insert. My alternative thought is to make an insulated drape that will drop down from the windshield. This would help with cold coming through the lower dash.

We’ll see what emerges. One of my goals was to not have a bunch of crap that I had to find space for in the van. What I like about the ones I made is that they’re out of the way yet ready to deploy.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #10

Garage
I'm inclined to share an alternative to consider:
The reflective sun shades that drape across the interior of the front windows WILL reduce the heat factor some, BUT...the sun beats down on the windshield as it enters and then is reflected back onto the interior of the windshield - this heats it even more. This heat generated rises and still enters the cabin. Using one of those reflective sun visors, I've actually burned my fingers touching the inside of the windshield - have even had the rear-view mirror fall off once. Try it sometime - just touch the inside of the windshield when you've had the reflective screen up for a while.
***A considerably better solution to combat exterior elements is a cover/sunshade across the outside of the front windshield. Can find these at the SM Store, Ebay/Amazon, or a web search.
Granted, they take an additional minute or two to deploy, but make a huge difference.