Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #1

INSULATION

I am finished witrh the floor installation and it is time to start on the sidewalls. Originally I was thinking of using spray glue or double sided tape to fasten the Reflectix directly to the inside metal walls of the van. However, since the interior walls will be one piece of 1/4" thick birch plywood why couldn't I just glue a single piece of Reflectix to the back of the plywood?? This would mean less piecing together of smaller pieces of Reflectix and trying to place them in the crevices. Also, one piece glued to the back of the plywood would mean if I ever wanted to deconstruct the van and return it to it's original bare bones cargo style configuration it would be much neater and easier.

Do you forum people have any ideas pro or con on doing it this way?

Thanks,

jjtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #2

Re: INSULATION

You can do that but it is not needed to glue them on a support and it is better to keep air thickness on each side when possible to increase the insulation.
I did scotch them in place to hold until I fasten my panels to the body.
The insulation is then held by the panels.
Exemple:

Don't forget to seal the insulation one to an other to prevent air movements whether warm or cold.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

This has been mentioned before on a couple of other threads but other than Aerogel, the most efficient insulation is foam panels. Reflectix is good for limiting radiant heat transfer but doesn't have much effect on conductive transfer.

Taken from: <http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageName=Frequently+Asked+Questions&P ageIndex=384#WhatTypresofHF...>

"Does a Radiant Barrier Have an R-value?
No. R-values describe the rate at which energy is transferred through a material or assembly. Radiant barriers provide benefit by dramatically reducing “radiant” heat transfer which is just as significant but not related to an R-value type performance."
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #4

i used pieces of double sided carpet tape to hold the reflectix in place over the xps insulation, prior to skining with luan.

it helps to control the reflectix and keep it from sagging making it easier to keep some airspace...especially on the ceiling