Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
Is there a suggested type of material to make this curtain? This is another feature I was looking to add.
GOOGLE "thermal curtains" , "blackout curtains" , "Insulating Curtains"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(fabric)

Basically multi layered fabric /foam / rubber coated fabric like hotel curtains.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #12

Garage
I am rolling! Buahhhhhh!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #13

we use a reflectix double layer sandwich in all our windows. They do two things for us (we have windows in slider and rear in our cargo 1500 awd cargo van)

1) privacy

2) lessen the cold transfer.

We don't think of them as doing much more than taking the chill or heat off the glass. And like others, our environment (in the PNW) is rather mild so sun is not much of an issue ; ) so the heat buildup is not much to concern ourselves with but there was a trip to eastern Oregon that I noticed I had to back the upper edges of the reflectix plugs away from the window to let the heat escape just in case.
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #14

I made a sandwich of headliner material-reflectix-headliner material...about 1/2" thick total. Black on both sides, although that's mostly because that material was on the bargain rack at the auto fabric store.

Stays in the window openings pretty well, and provides quite a bit of insulation. The long term plan has been to sew a binding around the perimeter, but haven't got that far yet.

I used hi-temp spray contact adhesive (headliner adhesive) to glue the three layers together.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 AM   #15

I went a step further than boywonder and added a layer of Lexan to reinforce the insulation layer when I prop it up. The insulation is velcro'ed into the windows for easy removal when driving and is stuck up in about 3 minutes once I park. Blocks out light and heat on hot days. Haven't been out on a cold day to see how warm it stays inside. Headliner glue sticks the Reflectix to the Lexan, and I'm getting another can to stick headliner fabric to the lexan so it's just plain gray inside.
wantahertzdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #16

I've got a window van I'm starting to think about insulation for the windows. I think I am going to permantely cover just a few of them to build cabinets over. If there is a concern about the reflectex damaging a window, would it be wise to maybe just put some headliner material facing to the outside so I don't have to worry about it?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantahertzdonut View Post
I went a step further than boywonder and added a layer of Lexan to reinforce the insulation layer when I prop it up. The insulation is velcro'ed into the windows for easy removal when driving and is stuck up in about 3 minutes once I park. Blocks out light and heat on hot days. Haven't been out on a cold day to see how warm it stays inside. Headliner glue sticks the Reflectix to the Lexan, and I'm getting another can to stick headliner fabric to the lexan so it's just plain gray inside.
Any pictures?
caideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #18

what thickness polycarbonate (lexan)?........assuming around 1/16"...

donut: since you are in OC you are probably aware of A1 foam and fabric in Santa Ana...great place for auto upholstery supplies....

How are you velcro-ing to the windows?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
Is there a suggested type of material to make this curtain? This is another feature I was looking to add.

When I did my curtains I went to a large fabric shop (not the typical retailers) and bought the fabric I wanted and blackout material in the same quantity. I went with a flannel. It was just a matter of sewing the two together.

Unless you are having an upholsterer make the curtains, you'll want to keep the outer material not too thick. Otherwise it is too much for a standard machine to handle.

You could probably get a thin foam layer from such a shop as well and sandwich it between the two materials. Use a spray adhesive to fix it to the blackout material and leave a lip around so you don't have to sew through the foam too.

I still use reflectix for insulation, but the curtains are great for quick covering. Plus I could get the perfect camper van plaid.

Full disclosure, I don't know how to sew. I had my mother do it because no matter how old you are, moms rock.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4277.jpg   IMG_4429.jpg  
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #20

[QUOTE=boywonder;185884]I made a sandwich of headliner material-reflectix-headliner material...about 1/2" thick total. Black on both sides, although that's mostly because that material was on the bargain rack at the auto fabric store.

Stays in the window openings pretty well, and provides quite a bit of insulation. The long term plan has been to sew a binding around the perimeter, but haven't got that far yet.

I used hi-temp spray contact adhesive (headliner adhesive) to glue the three layers together.

QUOTE]
I did nearly the same thing. I did black headliner>reflectix>tan automotive carpet stuck together with high temp contact adhesive. I sewed folded black nylon webbing around the edges to bind them.
My thoughts were that I could put the black out for privacy and when it is cold out, keeping the lighter tan inside so it wouldn't feel so dark when the lights are on. If it is hot out the tan could go out for less heat absorption. I probably would use a tan headliner instead of the carpet if I were to do it again. I think my original plan was to leave the refelctix exposed on one side, but I had the carpet laying around so it got included.
Not seeing the foil from the reflectix on either side made it feel better inside and blacks it out well from the outside. We only have the front three windows. This is not the not the best picture, but here they are stowed away.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote