Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 AM   #1

Location: On an island in the Western basin of lake Erie Ohio
Insulation question.

I was wondering if anyone here has insulated their vans with a spray on foam. After a lot of researching, I have found this https://sprayfoamkit.com/insulation/sprayfoam/ and am looking at the pros and cons.
I was all set to install 1" polyisocyanurate board but the van and high top have so many curves I am worried moisture will get past the board and condensate on the inside of the walls and roof causing a mold problem. The spray foam kit I am looking at is about $375 delivered which is fine if it will alleviate mold. I am only looking for about a 7 to 10 R-value.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

QuigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #2

P.S. The van already has a thin coat which I assume was sprayed on at the factory to control noise and vibrations. The van is a 1990 Ford extended E250 and at 27 years old the foam is in great shape. I would like to continue this on the roof and in the doors to help retain some heat but mostly as a vapor barrier.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #3

There have been several (or more) discussions here about spray foam....the search button is your friend....

One thing to pay attention to is that the double/triple expanding type can easily bloat sheet metal.....prevailing wisdom is to use the minimal expansion type.

The other thing some people have issues with is the outgassing of nasty stuff as the foam cures. Some foams are likely nastier than others.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #4

Thanks.

The foam I was looking to get is for a building. It claims to be "Green" chemical free ect. I just want an inch all around. About 7 r-value. The top is fiberglass and I am most worried about sweating and mold. The large panels on the rear of the van are already coated. They seem to be solid and have not reacted with the metal. Appling a coat like the factory did is what I would like to do to the rest of the van.

I appreciated your reply and will search some more.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

Not to muddy the waters but there's a very interesting thread on hotroddersforum about a low cost alternative to Lizard Skin. Post #77 on page 6 details a couple of moisture barrier solutions.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

That is a very interesting article. My father has used that product before as he was an RC model airplane enthusiast. That might be a good base before foaming for R-value.

Thank you for the reply "SteelheadJones"
Old 12-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

My pleasure Quig. i've learned so much from the forums I'm happy to be able to give back.

My revised insulation plan (the roughly 426th revision) is one of the moisture barrier solutions he mentions, then the glass microspheres, then DynaMat or similar sound deadener, then AcoustiShield from Quiet Ride. It may be overkill, but I already bought the QuietRide kit and it's not returnable.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote