Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #11

Re: INSULATION QUESTIONS

some other observations:

during this heatwave, outside temps in north jersey have exceeded 100 degrees with really high humidity...awful.

the inside temp of my van after sitting in the sun for 8-10 hours stays below 90 degrees. i have an insulated bulkhead that seals off the cab (cab was 135 degrees one day!!, i have since installed window vents and leave the windows cracked and i now use a windshield reflector...112 now)

however, my rear doors are completely unfinished. no insulation or tint or anything. i hung reflectix temporarily for privacy but it helps slightly.

side 60/40 doors are also completely unfinished with no insulation however, i have the windows tinted with almost 100% limo tint and the 60 window has a panel velcroed in comprised of a 3/4" piece of xps and reflectix.

the difference between these windows is dramatic. the 60 window, i can feel almost no heat from the sun (not cold this past winter). the adjacent 40 window is warm but not terribly so. the rear windows that have just reflectix on them are pretty hot.

once all of my doors are insulated and i add the panel system like i have on the 60 door, i am confident that i can get the interior temps to remain less than 85 even in a heat wave like this.

it might not seem like much but to me its the difference between sweating while still and not sweating while still (this is my current home).

in the evening after work, i plug my van into the electrical service i have where i park and i run a 7,000 btu protable a/c unit which is vented out through my fantastic fan with an adapter that i made that snaps into the opening, replacing the screen.

i hit the sheets at about 78 degrees and by the time midnight rolls around, the interior of the van is about 74 and the a/c can be placed on low fan etc...

pretty impressive considering the doors mentioned above are unfinished and that the van is RED with black windows...plus, there is a 300lb guy sleeping inside with things like a computer and battery chargers and a fridge making more heat.

i havent vented the electronics cabinet to the outside yet, nor the cabinet that houses the fridge...but will be doing that shortly. should help a little more.

winter was laughable, no issues whatsoever. granted, it was mild even by jersey standards but i still went to be in my skivvies...

ive apologized before for not posting pics but i swear...they are on the way

Old 07-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #12

pardon for such large posts...i talk a lot too...

i forgot to mention this...im having a friend paint the roof of my van with white automotive paint with this added to it.... http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_p ... tives.html

prior to the addition of a roof rack.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #13

Expanding foam comes a few differet ways from minimal almost no expansion to extreme to fill the largest gaps.
The minimal stuff should not hurt a van.

cygvan, insulate your doors and step wells it helps a ton. Also even a few pieces of reflectit or what even cut to fit in the windows also helps. One last tip is run your van to cool it down with the in dash A/C and the winow unit can keep it cool all night.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Expanding foam comes a few differet ways from minimal almost no expansion to extreme to fill the largest gaps.
The minimal stuff should not hurt a van.

cygvan, insulate your doors and step wells it helps a ton. Also even a few pieces of reflectit or what even cut to fit in the windows also helps. One last tip is run your van to cool it down with the in dash A/C and the winow unit can keep it cool all night.
oh yeah i used the standard stuff and stayed away from the big gap stuff (black label?) i think DAP also makes a foam that expands just a little bit and is good for windows and doors where you dont want much expansion.

thats a good idea about the vans a/c. i usually have it on when i drive "home" from work but i never thought to keep the bulkhead door open lol.... ill give that a try

as for the stepwells, my floor floats over it and i used the space underneath to store jack and some tools. i havent finished my floor yet as far as carpet or whatnot but i plan to finish the edge where it meets the doors with a big rubber gasket from mcmaster-carr. so when the doors are closed, they seal against the flooring edge. my doors are still untouched so when they are done they will be insulated and in combination with sealing against the floor i should be good to go.

im still trying to figure out how i want to finish the doors. i definitely want built in storage box with hinged lid for a work surface but the intricacy of the shape of the door combined with limited tool collection has held me back....id like something close to what LenS has but he has cabinet making skills and tools...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #15

Check this out for minimalist door panels:
viewtopic.php?p=42619#p42619