Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #11

Thanks Flux! My 1st choice was going with Agile. Im in San diego once every year for a week or 2 and had talked with John a few times when I was searching for the right rig, and I'm never out east! But when this van came up 30 mins from ujoint seemed like destiny. Even came with a ford pre certified warranty 7yrs 100k. Could come in handy?? Dealer even delivered it to Chris. Really stoked on the coil conversation too. Chris was great to work with. Would like to get in a agile again and feel them both out. I like your cubby idea. Do you have a visuale of this? On your sofa happy enough with it? The extender I'm thinking of designing more of a removable platform with a cushion that can sit at bed height or at sofa height that slides on rails on the wall. I'm thinking going 6ft total for the bed length.

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #12

No visual but it's just an idea to get you from A to B.

My seats came from Shop4seats.com and I paid a grip. I am happy with them though and made my own backer plates etc.

I was in your position a ways back. Agile did up my 4x4 and then I got the SMB top put on and the rest is up to me. I waited on the interior as I was not sure how the top would come together. I still have some things I want to do between the SMB tracks and the walls to finish it off right, but for now it works.

I suggest you start a build thread and post a lot of pics. Folks here love to share ideas and I would have never gotten anywhere without them. Do what you can until you get your top and then start scheming.

I do think those vertical ribs might be a big help in your build. If you look down by the floor you will see the pinch weld about 3 inches off the deck. If you take a square you will see that the pinch sticks out a few inches further than where the factory windows would be. Those ribs smooth out that transition. The good news is you have them and can pull them out or use them for panels. I have a window van, so the lost space was not all that apparent and the void between my panels and windows is where I will stick in some insulated blackout coverings.

My thought was that you could recess some cubbies or cabinets in bewteen the ribs and make some storage for small items. A rectangular metal pan could be covered in auto felt and bolted to the rear of the panels and then a cutout to get into it from the front. Just a rough idea.

Hardest part of an interior build is having a plan and then realizing your plan is tough to execute and not getting frustrated. I made a ton of small mistakes in fit and finish, but I am pretty happy with my results, but would do some things differently for sure. I am camping this weekend and will take some pics of the finished cabinets and bench bed and post em up.

Again, you have a beauty of a van. Congrats. If you stick with Agile, U joint, Expovans, CCV, and SMB, you really can't go wrong. I see you have MG's (Expovans) coil kit......yeah, your van is awesome.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
What you have there is E-track. The open holes are going to let heated air from the wall cavities to enter the interior space. L-track would be a better option and look a lot nicer too. You can get recessed L-track which can be used to hold down the wall panels. Great choice on the 3M Thinsulate(TM). We have SM600L on sale through the end of September.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com
Very good point Hein. I had not thought of the temperature transfer through e-track.

Just a shameless plug, Hein does some excellent work and has some neat products for Transits and Sprinters. Many over at the Transit forum speak highly of his Thinsulate for wall insulation.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #14

Garage
Awesome looking van, I love that color.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #15

The thinsulate is an excellent material. Super easy to work with, soft polyester, definitely kills sound. Hydrophobic too. Nice transaction with Hein as well. I plan on using it in a sandwich between a layer of reflectix and a cordura backer to make some insulated window panels.