Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

p/u my new van! Interior panels/walls question

Picked up my van Thursday from Ujoint. They did a 6" coil conversion. It rides super nice really stoked on Chris&crews work. So just dropped off the van today at CCV for a high top install & some windows. Been getting things together to do a DIY interior. The inside already came with these interior metal studs. I would think it would make adding the panels much easier, but also wondering about the the little loss of real estate, and gap between the walls and insulation if I use them. Any thoughts from the experts? Hopefully the pics will give you an idea what I'm talking about? Thanks for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
20170807_084749.jpg   20170801_150053.jpg   20170807_084843.jpg  

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

I was hoping someone would chime in with some advice, as I'm wondering how to do my interior also. I like your van though, except the black wheels, it seems that is all anyone wants, but I just don't care for them. But to each their own, right.
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

Most people go with the classic SMB look of black wheels as it matches in with all the accessories as well. The offroad world likes black, no way to match all the colors or themes. Personally I like it and it's the way I did my van as eventually all the chrome will be gone and all the accessories like bumpers and ladders and running boards etc are black. Steel Blue and all black is my personal favorite combo.....that van is awesome!!

Those ribs look to only stick out about 2" from the middle area. From my experience this is about perfect and you will have a really nice support frame to put your panels over and you can insulate back there nicely. Do you have any pics where the ribs meet the floor, side door, anch the pinch weld?? You won't want the horizontal cargo tie downs. But I would this is not a bad way to start if you can plan around it. You will never regret having too much insulation and there are places in the hollow sections you just can't get insulation into.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

Interesting.....Flux I just stumbled on your bldg last night. After camping this weekend and seeing your bldg I got to thinking of changing some things around I had planned. Was going to do a platform bed with bench couch in front of it. But your removable sofa got me thinking differently. I think going more towards a SMB transformer setup now. I really like being able to throw all my gear in totes and just pack it in the van. After using the the bed in the CCV poptop for 3 days I dont see myself sleeping to much downstairs. Having the top is such a game changer. I think I am removing the ribs. Just takes up to much space??? I used the thinsulate as insulation as well. Put a lot in the cavities and on the walls. Thats all i have used for sound/insulation. Did I see that you doubled up on it? I have a lot of extra was thinking of doing that when i get to the panels.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

My soundproofing starts with RAAM audio butyl and then two layers of 1/8" sticky back ensolite. Then on the walls I have the 3M stuffed everywhere I could and then put a layer of reflectix over that where I could. If you have the room and the $$ definitely double up where you can. My sofa is gonna be permenant and turns into a full bed with an extra cushion in back, just like an SMB. Mine is made to camp 4 people so kids up top and me in the bottom. Otherwise I would have done it differently.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
I think going more towards a SMB transformer setup now. I really like being able to throw all my gear in totes and just pack it in the van. After using the the bed in the CCV poptop for 3 days I dont see myself sleeping to much downstairs.
FWIW here is part of my build thread......the seat/chaise/bed portion....this is page 10; page 14 introduces cushions..

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10808-10.html

The three panels allow lots of config options, I've been planning on snapping pics of all of the configs...just haven't found the time. In your case your panels would be a lot wider (due to the CCV bed width of around 50"!!)....the SMB bed is 39" wide.

The panels lay flat for bottom sleeping and also fit up in the SMB penthouse for sleeping up there. The three panels are all 39" wide and roughly 18", 24" and 36" long. The seat base can be either 24" or 36" depending on how much lounging is planned.....

...and removing all of the panels (or stowing them in the ceiling) allows for a walk-through design.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Another thing to consider is a gaucho style bed that mounts along one wall. If you plan to sleep up top, this gives you a nice chill spot and leaves one side for storage and cabinets. You can put a ton of stuff or equipment under the gaucho as well.

Are you planning on propane and stove furnace water etc?? I will probably add a 20 gallon tank and outdoor shower hookup to my build later, but it will sit behind the bench and under the bed.

My build was dictated by needing to sleep 4 people and also needing safe forward looking seats for the kids and also wanting a large common area at the barn doors. I have a dog that needs some floor space too.

And OH Sh!t, I saw your van on Ujoints build thread. That thing is awesome and a monster up there on 35's. Great build you have going.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

Boywonder thanks for the info and pics . Really like that setup as well. You and Flux have way more skills, tools, shop, home, patience, time etc than I have. I don't even have a home in the US anymore. Not sure I will have a place to call home when Irma is done with Puerto Rico either. The van is pretty much it. Trying to get as much done before leaving for Puerto Rico at the end of the month for the winter.Flux I'm just not into a gaucho for some reason. Had one in my camper and didn't like it. CCV installed a espar gaser when they did the top. I do plan do propane but probably just a 11lb can. I really appreciate both your alls thoughts. I'm really trying to keep build fairly simple. Like I'm just going to use an old fashion solar shower.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #9

Mechanically and functionally you will have a very sweet rig no matter what. If you keep the ribs in there and find some white faced hard board you can make an interior in no time with just a jig saw and a drill. If you think you are losing space then cut some cubby holes and mount some plastic containers behind it lined with felt. It won't cost you much in time and money. After doing my interior there are a lot of things I would do different but time is my biggest issue.

I never thought I would do a water system but after watching a guy spray down at the beach from his sprinter, I am looking at a 20 gallon tank, pump, and a Camplux shower. A 5lb propane tank might be another investment for the shower.

Hit me up if you have any questions about things and I can at least tell you what not to do because I did plenty of that too.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #10

What you have there is E-track. The open holes are going to let heated air from the wall cavities to enter the interior space. L-track would be a better option and look a lot nicer too. You can get recessed L-track which can be used to hold down the wall panels. Great choice on the 3M Thinsulate(TM). We have SM600L on sale through the end of September.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com
hein is offline   Reply With Quote