Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #141

Re: intro/build thread and our poorboy attempt at a camperva

That's the stuff... sheriff and all... Thanks

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 AM   #142
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Beautiful scenery at that first campsite----your friend "steered" you in the right direction!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #143

Lookin' good Shenrie! Glad you're out enjoying it already.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #144

Van looks SICK bro congrats! Its coming together can't wait to see it in person.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #145

Garage

twogone, is any story complete without local law enforcement? lol, seems like not for us it isnt. this guy had a HUGE chew in his mouth. could barely talk. he asked us if we stayed the previous night and if we were planning on staying again, and we said, "hell yes, this spot is great!". he responded with "actually, your not." lead us in to shoot us down, hahaha, rude. we were just glad he wasnt on a mission to hand out citations. none of the 3 bikes we took with us were up to date with tags.

and thank you we cant hold a candle to the vids you post, but i hear im a good story teller...

jwa, we totally agree. waking up in a spot like that and being able to watch wood ducks float downstream, geese flying upstream, and pretty good sized fish jump all morning from bed is the kinda stuff we dreamed about when we first started this journey. to have it become reality was an awesome feeling!

86scotty, thank you much! we have a rallyx this saturday, or we would be back out at it for the entire weekend, but another one nighter will have to do. i know youve been out a few times already, were just trying to keep up with the jones's
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #146

That looks like an amazing campspot.......hopefully it'll open back up at some point.

BTW:The front end of your van looks absolutely awesome. The no-logo hood/grill is really nice.
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #147

Great build, man! I'm in Donnelly...give me a shout if you ever head north. Would love to check out the van!
Dan
Home built interior(soon to come)
Gonejpn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #148

Garage

^^^ thank you and cool, another local! i will definitely do that. we avoid highway 55 for obvious reasons most of the time, but we cant stay away from a few of the hotsprings that way, especially if we are able to get up there midweek. we will likely be camping around warm lake when they stock the big fish just before independance day. we have a few friends that have made that tradition. so when that trip goes down ill hit you up and see if we can coordinate something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair
That looks like an amazing campspot.......hopefully it'll open back up at some point.

BTW:The front end of your van looks absolutely awesome. The no-logo hood/grill is really nice.
im sure those spots will be eventually. the area burned heavily last year. once rainy season is over, im sure they will be accessible again.

and thanks! i specifically wanted the earlier grill to shave as many emblems as i could. if the one on the rear door didnt have holes behind it, it would be gone as well.

and thank you buck! looks like we posted at about the same time and I just saw your responce. look forward to the day when i can check your rig out too!

we did our 6th (well, my 6th, wifes 4th, lol) camp trip of the season last weekend. we have a rallyx this saturday and i got stuck on call tonight, or we would be back at it again this weekend. we might do a one nighter someplace close, but even if we dont get up someplace this weekend, we sure are enjoying the campervan
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #149

Garage

small update as its been a while. i decided to keep a journal of our camping season just to see how much time we were spending doing what we love. i got 20 trips and 41 nights in our van this year, wife missed a few trips, but her numbers are just slightly less than mine. needless to say, we are both really happy with how much time we spent camping this year.

we spent a lot of time talking about how we eventually want this thing setup up inside. each time we went out, we keep track of what we would have used and what we decided we could leave out. so now i have a pretty good picture in my head about how we are going to build out. more on that to come later...

one thing id been looking for since day one was a good window to replace that stupid little door. i am very anal and ocd...i wanted a oem window in that spot as a lot of the aftermarket windows i see dont flow with the lines of the van, but with out a ton of work, the actual oem passenger window was pretty much out of the question due to how the passenger and cargo vans are made. i had seen a window i liked 2 years ago, but could never find any info on it. after 2 years of searching site after site with crappy pix and unanswered emails, i finally stumbled upon the original place i saw this window and was able to contact the owner of the van it was installed in. he was nice enough to provide me with a brand and a part number. so many big thanks to maxacceleration for being the only one to follow through and get me window information. lots of members said they would, but he is the only member who actually took the time to followup with me and get me the info. also, big thanks to member 1der (ray) for getting me this wndow, really appreciate you doing that for me!!

first order of business, determine placement. i wanted to mimic the oem passenger window setup as close as possible. so with a buddies help, we got it measured up and traced onto van.

first cut to remove skin.

then removed inner structure supports.

heres a few pix of the window. its a sandwich style setup. really similar to how a sunroof installs.

both pieces.

inner piece.

outer.

the two larger flanges seat opposite of each other on each side of the outer skin on van. nice and simple.

i didnt want to cut a hole inside larger enough to fit the inside piece, i assume this was procedure since there was zero install instructions and the inner piece had a cut in it so you could manipulate it into place.

putting inner piece into place.

in place.

marko my window guy supplied me with a tube of window urethane and told me to tape up the window like this for easier cleanup.

i gooed up the window. used 3/4's of the tube, so i knew it would seal with one try and slapped it into place.

once its daylight im going to go out into the parkinglot and finish removing tape and splooged urethane. ill get a finished pic when i get done.

first impressions are nice. gives people riding in back a much better view and opened up a world of visibility for me and got rid of a huge blind spot. plus other than getting the placement dialed in, i did all this work solo. so all you diy'ers should have no issues doing this type of install.

for anyone stumbling across this post in your search for a window, this one is a cr laurence window, model # VW21601L and its dimensions are 44 1/4" x 22". this window has the slanted forward edge to follow the flow of the oem bodylines.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #150

Nice job!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote