Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #31

Re: intro/build thread and our poorboy attempt at a smb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ crazy. had no idea it was even on ebay. i never saw it and (i thought) i was looking daily. what did the bidding get up to if you dont mind me asking?

I got it from a carlot in augusta that pretty much only sold work related vehicles. every vehicle on thier lot was fleet white. they told me they got it at a local auction. they also had no idea what it was worth...

ive also tried to contact the company (south carolina gas & electric) who originally owned it to try and get maintenance records, but no callbacks yet.
You know what, the more I look at yours, the more I think they may have been two seperate vans, just built exactly alike. Yours looks a little cleaner but the build is exact from interior out. Maybe the power company had an auction and sold off a bunch of these things.

The auction for the one I was bidding on ended around 6500. Did you get a deal on this one?

kcernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #32

Ah! That would be me. The bench vise was my clue!

[thumb][/thumb]
bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #33

Garage

^^^ so your telling me you picked up an identicle van to mine for 6500 bucks?

a few small updates.

member dhally (great seller btw. quick with replies and quick to ship. Thanks again David!) made me a good deal on a single step he had laying around. it matched the others perfectly and was a super quick and easy install. lots easier to get and out the side of the van now.

also sold my bigass deer killer bumper. decided id swap it out for a stocker setup. in the process, i found a grill from a 95 and a bumper from a 01. also decided to swap from sealed beam to the composite lights in the process. not sure the year of the lights, but they took a few other pieces as some of them didnt work originally. both the bumper and grill will be refinished once the weather gets a bit more stable.

before:

after:
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #34

Looks much better up front now. You decide if your planning on keeping the light bar?

By the way, from the I'm guessing you paid a bit more than 6500? Oh well, as long as your happy with it.
kcernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #35

Garage

^^^thank you and lol, ya i paid more than 6500, but 10k less than i found anywhere else. so yes, good point, Im very happy with the purchase. as are all my friends, hahaha.

a few more updates.

we had a trip planned to the teton pass for a few days of riding. i volenteered the van for the journey as we had 9 people wanting to go and only wanted to take one vehicle. only condition was i needed help putting it together to roll in. had help from a few friends and this took us 4-5 nights after work to complete.

first off was places for passengers, so we installed 3-3 person seats in the rear. they are a quick release system. also installed a table from a wrecked rv and used trailmaps and coat tickets from all the resorts ive been too through the years for decorations. figured we can use it as a partybus till we have enough saved up for the poptop.

under the table is a 6 place power strip attached to a 2300 watt power inverter (4600 peak). so there was plenty of power for peoples phone chargers and a nice (borrowed, lol) 23" flatscreen (not pictured) that was on the table for the rear passengers with a rca from a front 7" screen for front passengers setup for the trip. we also installed a small system. a pioneer deck i got from a member of our local motorsports forum for 30 bucks, some old dvc 8's and an old lanzar amp i removed from a car years ago that was just laying around. the dvd player was tied into the stereo via the aux imput. for what i have into the system, it sounded pretty decent.

a map of the teton pass where we ride signed by all 31 people that showed for the reunion.

we removed emergency lights and ladder rack in an attempt to save some mpg's and built a 12 place snowboard rack off the hitch receiver.

closeup of the rack. it also held 2 coolers and a good sized bin, we just took them off while we were riding. yes thats a monoski, lol.

a buddy offered his wheels and tires for the trip since mine are spent. so we were rolling on 35" bfg all terrains. they are a touch too big and did a little grinding on the bumper, but no damage was done to either.

we left town on friday morning at 7am and got to driggs by 1:30. unloaded the van, geared up, and hit the pass by 3pm. rode till dark and went back to the cabin (pictured above, sleeps 15) to make dinner and sit in the hot tub. rode, all day saturday and sunday as well. got up early on monday to meet a good friend that lives in driggs up on the pass to make some runs before we had to leave. stopped in if at fiesta ole for a quick lunch and made it home by 8pm.

we got great weather too. first 2 days were bluebird, then sat night we got 6-8". and another few inchs sunday night. pretty much had our usual runs all to ourselves all 4 days. we freaking wrecked the mtn, lol. Im waiting for pix and vids to be posted by everyone and ill pick the goods and post them up asap.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #36

Garage

Looks better with the original front bumper !
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #37

Garage

^^^ thank you, I appreciate the compliment

hit a milestone...

figured it was a good time for these:

installed with some new black lugnuts:

also picked up all 4 pop out windows from a local pick & pull and had them tinted. installed with inner trims. 60/40's:

& rear windows, along with debadged rear door. Id remove the ford emblem if there wasnt holes behind it

also removed the 4x4 sticker from the sides, the quigley badges from each fender

after our trip, i realized something needed to be done to help with the ass of this thing waggin on the freeway. picked up a f350 rear sway and endlinks from pick & pull for 10 bucks. made a signifigant difference. well worth the 10 bucks. will shorten the endlinks and rotate upwards as soon as i can get it back in the shop. wouldnt fit in conventional spot due to the 46 gallon aftermarket tank.

i know these are all trivial mods to you guys, but its exciting for us, lol.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #38

Nice set up, like the surf rack specially the monoski
Missing using mine...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #39

Great work on your Van. Looks like it's super convenient and worked out well for you and you buddies! Were you ever able to load those pics from your runs that weekend? What's the latest with the Van?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #40

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST
Nice set up, like the surf rack specially the monoski
Missing using mine...
thanks! wish it was as far along as yours was. ive really been enjoying watching your build thread!

the rack ended up working out awesome, especially for only having a few hours into building it. im sure the "rack" part of it will come off the tray and it will resume its normal life on the back of a buddies landcruiser hauing camping gear till next season.

and that monoski kicked its owners ass, lol. he only did a few runs on it and traded it in for his newer setup. he was outnumbered by the knuckle draggers, but we all had a blast. i take it you have a monoski? not something that ever really took off around here, but youd see them once and a while dodging trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin
Great work on your Van. Looks like it's super convenient and worked out well for you and you buddies! Were you ever able to load those pics from your runs that weekend? What's the latest with the Van?
thank you! and yes, very convenient. only thing i would have done personally was angle the bars more upwards so tie downs werent needed between runs, but work was done at a buddies workplace and they frowned on having non-employees in their shop so he just went for shit not having the van in front of him. either way, it was handy as hell. got a lot of thumbs up from people on the road. it even got the attention of an officer in driggs. he pulled us over for supposidly speeding. my speedo said 49 and he said we were going 65 in a 55 zone. we call bs. he just assumed with 12 snowboards on back that it would be a vehicle full of potsmoking boarders (and 20 years ago he would have been right, lol), but no such luck for him. i didnt have a registration or proof of insurance and he let me go with a warning.

i didnt bother with pix as there was pretty much zero intrest. but ill take some time to load them onto photobucket cause the direct links from our dropbox account wont seem to work on this forum for some reason and post a few up since you asked. my buddys pix turned out really good imho.

tony

mike

mike on his head

me

me again

jason

tonys son devin

my wife, crystal

boz

boz again (this is one of my fav shots)

bob (lives in victor)

andrew

groupshot

a panaramic from inside van in transit

latest with van is its out of gas, lol. BUT, i actually sold our racecar yesterday so i now have what i need to get us a poptop going sooner than expected. gonna sit on the cash for a bit as my job isnt all that stable atm, but the research begins full throttle now