Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #61

Re: intro/build thread and our poorboy attempt at a smb.

Wow, sounds like quite a fun weekend!! Props on being the snake charmer!! Lol

I could see people getting pissed at your comments about the tents, funny as hell though!! haha

Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #62

Shenrie

You being in Idaho means we are going to have to do some Steelie fishing this fall brother, meet up in the met how valley or the GR
Buck

2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #63

That's not a snake....

Killed this guy when I was 16 down south while I was in a deer blind, his head was the size of my fist.
Buck
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #64

Garage

^^^ man, i cant believe how big those things can get. 6'? and its big, but it woulda fit in the belly of my redtail

I had a skin of the one that bit me, but it got destroyed during a move. wasnt near as impressive though. was just under s foot, lol.

methow valley looks really nice, but what and where is gr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin
Wow, sounds like quite a fun weekend!! Props on being the snake charmer!! Lol

I could see people getting pissed at your comments about the tents, funny as hell though!! haha
was a really fun weekend. and yes, i would have done and said the same thing to myself if i was in their shoes. everyone was sweatin and workin thier ass off to get setup before dark and im sitting there with drink in hand being a smartass. i did help setup the mess hall though. had to get the wife started on the dutch oven peach cobbler

and im not gonna lie, im really jealous i cant make it to the jackson hole meet and greet. it got scheduled the only weekend i have obligations. i really look forward to one of those gatherings.

a few more from the wifes good camera from last weekend, and one from a few weeks earlier of sheep bridge.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #65

Crazy thing is its a baby...I have had uncles that have killed some that were over 8 feet long down south, my great grdmother was hit twice by such a snake just above her right knee...she only lived because she passed out and because my father's older brother happened to be working for a road crew and they always carried anti venom.

Now GR stands for the Grande Ronde River it drains from the blue mountains north east of wallowa mountains on the Columbia plateau.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #66

And nice shots brother..
Buck

Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #67

Garage

^^^ thanks, and i wish i could take the credit. the wife took (and edited) the 4 good shots, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
GR stands for the Grande Ronde River it drains from the blue mountains north east of wallowa mountains on the Columbia plateau.
oh, ive looked at checking out that area. lots closer to us too. we could definitely be interested in meeting up around that area. have to see how the money looks later in the season (after i pay CCV, lol).

nuts about your grandmother. glad the outcome was positive. i cant imagine taking a hit from a snake that big. my boa got me when it was 3' and it wasnt too bad, but it nabbed my wife when it was 6' and she said it was pretty painfull. left teeth in her and she brusied up pretty good. bled like a stuck pig too, lol. I think it scared her more than anything though. when i took the bite from the baby prairie rattler it didnt hurt at all....till the venom starting eating away at my insides. aftermath was waaaaay more painfull then the actual bite, lol. hope to never experience that carnival ride again.

on a van related note. i picked up a tp performance 5 way chip (yes 5 way, van has less options then everything else available) yesterday. has stock, 50, 75, 100, & 140hp settings. went out for test drive and hp/tq was definitely up across the rpm range in every setting other than the 140hp setting. honestly, it felt like it was back on stock settings to me. tranny shifted seemlessly in every setting, with both kinds of driving (regular cruizing & ******* driving). i was pretty impressed. either way, i was told to keep it at the 75hp setting for best mpg's. was told i could experiemnt a little at cruising speeds with the 50 & 100hp settings as long as i wasnt pulling big hills or anything of that nature. Ill likely not play too much with the 100hp setting till i get a pyrometer installed.

i forgot to take my camera with me to the shop, not that the pix would have been much to see. but i guess i can take a picture of the knob if anyone cares, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ thanks, and i wish i could take the credit. the wife took (and edited) the 4 good shots, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
GR stands for the Grande Ronde River it drains from the blue mountains north east of wallowa mountains on the Columbia plateau.
oh, ive looked at checking out that area. lots closer to us too. we could definitely be interested in meeting up around that area. have to see how the money looks later in the season (after i pay CCV, lol).

nuts about your grandmother. glad the outcome was positive. i cant imagine taking a hit from a snake that big. my boa got me when it was 3' and it wasnt too bad, but it nabbed my wife when it was 6' and she said it was pretty painfull. left teeth in her and she brusied up pretty good. bled like a stuck pig too, lol. I think it scared her more than anything though. when i took the bite from the baby prairie rattler it didnt hurt at all....till the venom starting eating away at my insides. aftermath was waaaaay more painfull then the actual bite, lol. hope to never experience that carnival ride again.

on a van related note. i picked up a tp performance 5 way chip (yes 5 way, van has less options then everything else available) yesterday. has stock, 50, 75, 100, & 140hp settings. went out for test drive and hp/tq was definitely up across the rpm range in every setting other than the 140hp setting. honestly, it felt like it was back on stock settings to me. tranny shifted seemlessly in every setting, with both kinds of driving (regular cruizing & ******* driving). i was pretty impressed. either way, i was told to keep it at the 75hp setting for best mpg's. was told i could experiemnt a little at cruising speeds with the 50 & 100hp settings as long as i wasnt pulling big hills or anything of that nature. Ill likely not play too much with the 100hp setting till i get a pyrometer installed.

i forgot to take my camera with me to the shop, not that the pix would have been much to see. but i guess i can take a picture of the knob if anyone cares, lol.
Sweet!!! Glad you got the chip in! I leave mine on 100hp setting because it makes the Van quick enough to dart around traffic and just get out of it's own way. I'm not racing this thing but it's nice to have the passing power there when it's needed and just the lower RPM Torque is awesome to have when scooting around town.
I'd have a look at your +140hp setting if your not getting much out of it, at that setting it should be brutal. But...I wouldn't use that setting anyways, now with the stock tranny, and be careful with even the 100hp tune because that will also eat your stock tranny if you hammer on it too much.

Congrats though, sounds pretty awesome!!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #69

Garage

i was really suprised at the pep just the 75hp setting added. game me just that little bump i wanted. it should be just enough that my wife cant get by me in the civic when we get stuck driving 2 vehicles to and from the same place (no, we arent competitive at all <--- ya, that was sarcasm).

the guy who sold me the tuner said that once we get some other things squared away (egt gauge etc) that he will dial in the 140 setting if i cared. not to worried about it though. as everyone knows these dont have the most bulletproof trannies, so no need to ruin it for no real reason. the 75hp position gives me enough to where i dont need to romp on it to get up to speed with traffic or to merge, so i should be happy with where its at now for a while. especially if it ends up helping with mpg's. which is really the main reason i picked it up.

yesterday the shop my buddy owns had an empty stall since all the diesel guys went up to canada for a race this weekend. i took the time to replace the uppipe sealing donuts. they were leaking pretty bad honestly. i had seen the black, but never put my hand up to them as motor was running. LOT more exhaust coming out those joints then i would have guessed. got them swapped out and went to leave and my off the line throttle responce was up considerably. i wouldnt have thought fixing those leaks would have been such a drastic improvement.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #70

Garage

a few updates.

the tuner has definitely made mpg improvements. worst miliage ive seen since the tuner is 12.6 (up from a pretty religious 10.8), and the best was 16.7 (tailwind is all i can figure). have had numerous fillups in the 13.5-14.5 range with all kinds of driving, trailer, city, highway, & dirt road travel. so really happy with the tuner purchase so far.

life threw me a curveball as well. 2 days before a race i put on here (and the reason i couldnt go to the jh meet & greet), i get a call from my brother in law that my sister has been in a serious accident. to idaho falls i go...shes in icu when i get there. ended up being a 120+ mph right front to right front head on. i started crying when i went to go look at her car. i was speechless. we are very lucky shes still with us.

her accident was june 19th and she left the hospital on july 4th. she has a 10 day window of blank. shes doing outpatient physical therapy, but they expect a full recovery. only thing that might not heal is some ocular damage to her right eye. it wont dialate, or track with left eye, but has 100% vision. they are hopefull that it will heal in time. she went camping for the first time since the accident this past weekend. she had a hard time walking on uneven ground due to her eye, but she was glad she went. its nice to have her back

with the tearjerker stuff said, we are enjoying the hell out of our van every chance we get. just did our 8th adventure this last weekend. a few pix from the various trips.

camping near bellevue idaho (halfway between my sister and I) at a campground called stanfords crossing where we meet my sister and hubby. this was two weeks prior to her accident.

bryces (her hubby) catch.

and some moose that snuck up on my wife.

a week later we went to the idaho city area. found a great place to camp where no one else had. was wondering why there was no one else around...then found out we were on private land. that explains that huh? guy was nice. knew we had been there a week before and since we left zero trace we were there other than a fire pit, he wasnt mad, was just concerned we were prospecting his gold. great area...currently on fire

out the barn doors

some locals

my bike and the dam we built to have a sitting pool.

during our trip to idaho city (more specifically, grimes creek) my van bit me.

i needed to tinkle, had to have been 4:30-5am, and was not wanting to get out of van. finally the bladder overruled sleep. i had parked on blocks to level van so pass side was a bit higher than normal. my knees, well, thier shot. so i figured i could use the door to kinda help me down. i ended up coming down on the latch mechanism. my wife said all she heard was the door open, a loud thump, an f-bomb, and the door close. hobbled away from van, but on way back i noticed my leg wasnt working very well. i went to step into van and it wouldnt lift up. i looked down and had an egg sized lump on top of my knee. i had to sit on floor and slide into van. when we got up around 10, all swelling had gone down, but i limped for a good week afterwards. be carefull of that little piece of metal...its freaking sharp.

next trip was to the north fork of the salmon river where a handfull of our friends were fishing for the bigass salmon. they were stocking the river the friday morning prior, so we didnt get any pix of the huge fish they caught, but most were in the 3' range. was pretty impressive to say the least.

only real pix we got we of the dam at the end of deadwood lake.

then out junkyard hopping, I found this little gem for a 20 spot (and about 25-30 feet of piano hinge) from a campervan.

crafted some brackets with the help of a buddy. (note this was the trial phaze. these will be sprayed and plastidipped now that i know wife and i can install in the field )

installed

a few pix from this last weekend near idaho city again, but closer to lowman idaho at a place called edna creek.

tried a trail up to a place called jenny lake, but failed due to running out of water. it was easily 100 degrees out. we were about 1 mile shy of reaching our destination. we will go back and concour...and get beautiful pix to prove it! on way up i caught a snake thats super hard to find in this area. the only native constrictor to the usa, the rubber boa. thought it was a worm at first, lol. super doctile. didnt even strike at me.

and a few of the new awning. which btw, was a HUGE hit with the wife.

and us sitting in the water having a drink after a long hot day.