Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #81

Re: intro/build thread and our poorboy attempt at a smb.

I scored the 'itis too, also gives me trouble in my hands. I don't climb as hard as I used to, and aid more than crimp these days. Still getting after it, so right on!

Our van is intended for the same duty, it will hopefully have a real heater some day to extend the winter trips comfort. I don't think many places up here allow overnight parking, but a few roadside stashes do. But to be sure, most of them are only an hour or so from home. Still, it's worth it to get an alpine start by camping out. The tire chains are a huge pain, but sometimes the people checking think the van is a 4x4, and we get through anyway. This helps prevent a "subie-queue" which is what happens when someone with chains is in front of a long line of subarus headed up the canyons. I hate being that guy on the way up, but it's nice to have a place to dress indoors and a place to hang out once I am up there without camping at a table in a cafeteria.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #82

Garage

^^^ subie queue, love it.

finially got some stuff that ive been sitting on installed.

this tank was left at the race we put on. i took it back and asked who the owner was 3-4 years in a row at drivers meeting, but never got any takers. so now it gets a permanent home.

bracket added, babcock bung installed and ready for paint.

with paint bolted in for first time.

a trip to local gun shop to aquire this...

ended up being a perfect fit for this...

both bolted and plumbed in.

open up box and pump is readily accessable.

one of the things were giving air too.

also got some other goodies in the mail last week. a care package from bajasmb with some new shocks. heres a pic with the recommeded replacement springs and new shocks.

so far, im really happy with how everything turned out. have a leak on the tank side that i need to figure out, but airbag side is solid. at 80 lbs, i lost 2-3 lbs in 72 hours. from the sounds of it, thats pretty typical. holding tank is a 7g and the guage goes to 150, which is what psi the cutoff switch is. ive put 140 in the tank, but not a full pull yet.

new shocks are great around town. smoothed out the ride considerably. i have yet to test them on highway with an excessive load though. that will be the true test.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #83

Pretty neat what you did with the pump & Amo box! Time to get some air-horns!!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #84

The box for the compressor i like so much. Nice work!
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #85

Ammo box is ingenious!
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #86

Garage

thanks everyone! appreciate the compliments

we were really happy with the fit as well. only downfall is the rattly-ass latch mechanism when box is open and pump is running. it will only be open when airing up tires to get back on pavement, so it really isnt that much of an issue. rattles in general just annoy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin
... Time to get some air-horns!!
got a free one lined up, but dang, they are big and not much room for it up front. so challenge now is where to mount the beast. anyone have any ideas?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #87

Awesome ideas!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #88
Site Team

I also like the ammo can, air compressor mount, but is your compressor oil-free? If not, you might be in for some problems if the oil winds its way to the lowest point.

Herb
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #89

Garage

thanks for the heads up herb! i didnt even consider that, but i did mention my plans on the install to the gent i ordered it from. maybe we got lucky or he knew exactly what to order for me, who knows, but i looked up specs on pump just to be sure.

Quote:
Pacbrake's HP325 series air compressors have a 33% duty cycle and are offered in both 12 and 24 volt. These 1/4 horsepower compressors have an oil-less design, sealed bearings, PTFE piston ring, copper wire wound permanent magnet motor and a hard anodized aluminum sleeve.
they are marketed as a "vertical" pump though...so im going to look into how its mounted just to be sure.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #90
Site Team

I've known some people with oil-free compressors to either have an oiled-medium filter (think K&N) on the intake, or they once in a while spray a small amount of lubricant into the air intake to help keep the compressor from sticking or siezing. Either method provides a small amount of lubrication. Take all this with a grain of salt though.

Herb