Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #111

That app for solar is very cool. Nice progress on your project.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #112

On the 24" Fiberine top, what do they use for the third brake light? I just got my top on and called to ask them what they used (because my stock housing doesn't fit correctly) and the response I got was they aren't sure. I may have to call again and hope to get someone else to speak with
Attached Thumbnails
78479.jpg  
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #113

Is the third brake lake legally required when you have a high top? My third light hasn't worked since I bought my van and it's slightly obscured by the overhang of my roof vent, but I've never been hassled for it. I've always wondered if it's required.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #114

Garage
@NYYank, Thanks, slow but steady progress, appreciate the offer.

@ShadeTreeVanMan, Builtin Bluetooth on many Victron products is pretty slick, connects quickly too. Been following your nice build as well!

Another 24" fixed top in the PacNW, love it Oly11!

When Fiberine did my top they moved the roof recessed 3rd brake light to the 24" top which is designed to hold the factory light. Pic attached.

I'll probably stain side pods / bed support and cabinets on the darker side since the floors and ceiling are light. Brazilian Cherry might be too dark but it's top of my list (and in our master bathroom).

Currently installing some black anodized L-Track for below bed cargo containment. I used E-Track in my racing trailer, L-Track is perfect for this and necessary. My wife vetoed the black coin vinyl flooring in favor of some real slippery laminate, looks good tho...

Lyall
Attached Thumbnails
20190822_075431.jpg   20190815_142140.jpg  
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #115

Garage
24" interior build one year later...

12 months since the high top install. Interior build was more time consuming than a house... Mostly free-style with no real plans, just using interior ideas found all over the interweb.

95-ish% complete... Have upholstery fabric in-hand to trim out area below high top down to window tops and F/R bulkheads. Then nicer window covers over my refletix, probably 3m thinsulate as well.

Lightweight build was my goal and is mostly 1"x2" frames Kregged and skinned with 1/4" - 1/2" hard maple plywood. Cabinet faces are 1/2" as well, might warp a bit but lite. Final wood stain hasn't been decided...

- Shore power plug added to feed my inverter / charger and power 4 - 120v & 4 - USB ports.

- SMEV single burner stove and sink powered by a one lb propane can and 5 gallons of fresh / 5 gallons of gray water with dry-breaks.

- 120lb slider supports the Dometic CFX50 fridge.

- Re-claimed wood counter top from a buddy. I used EcoPoxy and pigment to give me that water look for divots etc. then floated the entire top in clear.

- 12v combo LP/CO detector

- Slat bed platform open is 60" x 75", closed is 35". Height below platform is 23" and high enough to carry 5 gallon racing gas jugs...

I need to finish wearing out the 33" tires out cause they look clownish with the high top, 35"s next and if towing is a drag I'll re-gear. Then bumpers...

Pics from my album..

Lyall

Old 03-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #116

Looks fantastic! Nicely done.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #117

Garage
Thanks Bitburger!
Old 04-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #118

Agreed, very clean. Are you an engineer, or do you just build like one? LOL
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #119

Garage
LOL, thanks SteelHeadJones

This Dilbert episode is true for me and probably many on this site.

"The Knack"

https://youtu.be/g8vHhgh6oM0?t=17

An engineering degree might have served me better than my Finance & Real Estate degree. Most of my racing buddies are EE's or ME's and I kinda fit in.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #120

Garage
Rare Earth Magnets?

More progress...

Got some upholstery fabric that I'm told is good match (I'm color blind AF..) and brushed up on my sewing sKiLz for trimming out the interior.

Gave a lot of thought on how to secure the trim below the new top down to the window tops and front and rear bulkheads. Upper portion will be tacked into the 1/2" ply sandwiched between the new top and old. To keep it from drooping I needed more upholstery tacks than I care to look at.

That got me thinking about slipping .125" Stainless Steel rod into the hem to keep the fabric line straight top and bottom. I was planning to use adhesive on the lower portion but serviceability for wire path access had me reaching for ideas. I already bought some rare earth magnets for the window covers. I thought these might also work for the lower part of the trim and was planning to sew into pockets on the backside like window covers. Instead I placed the 1" dia rare earth magnets above the window frames and let the rod hold things tight. Works great!