Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #81

It finally happened last weekend. With Nrobert10's help this weekend we installed a hightop that we salvaged a month earlier from a pick and pull. Installed a Maxx Fan before we screwed and glued the top on, very impressed with the amount of air this thing can move!

My RB with a fixed top on the left and Rob's EB with pop top on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-2494.jpg   IMG-2495.jpg   IMG-2499.jpg  

Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #82

Looks Great, now getting down to the nitty gritty! Good luck on the build!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #83

Looks nice Cyrull. Whats your plan for routing the rear A/C vents? I'm getting ready to order a 24" top and will be doing the install myself so any advice is appreciated.
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #84

That looks real good Cyrull. Congrats.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly11 View Post
Looks nice Cyrull. Whats your plan for routing the rear A/C vents? I'm getting ready to order a 24" top and will be doing the install myself so any advice is appreciated.
I'm not sure yet, the main duct is still there that goes along the rear driver pillar so its just venting into the high top right now. I kept the vents from the headliner so I have something to work with when I figure out what I want to do but I am definable keeping the rear A/C. Be certain if you want to keep components before you throw them out. I kept all the interior dome lights, vents, headliner tabs and even cut out the wiring from the head liner (still intact) for future use.

Ours was a salvage, we forgot to mark the metal trim piece when we took it off and spent about an hour trying to figure out which way was what. For the metal trim piece the part with the fatter lip goes on the top. Your going to need at least 30FT of it and the plastic trim to wrap a RB length van. I placed the plastic trim piece in the sun to it was easier to work with, I can definitely see how it would be a PIA to do it in the cold.

Figure out if you want to install the fan and where you want it. Install it first before you install the high top. I would also install anything you want to put on the high top that isn't too heavy (solar, light bars, back up cam, etc). It is just so much easier to work on the high top before it's mounted on the van. If you are predominately going to be living or travelling in a warmer climate I would consider installing two fans. Test the fan to make sure it works before you install it.

The fixed top was my first major step in my build, I am going to start the sound deadening/insulation/floor soon. I wanted the high top on first because not being able to stand in the van when I'm enjoying it was a pain. Working on the van while not being able to stand was even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
That looks real good Cyrull. Congrats.

Thanks Tim, your build thread is very inspiring. I hope I can make mine as nice as yours.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #86

Has anyone glued flexible solar panels on the 24" bubble top? i like the look of the bubble top over the transit style top. The transit style could be better for flexible solar and for a top bunk bed for my little girls, it looks bigger.
Any input?
Thanks.
Francisco Coddou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #87

Was it from Olympia?
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish View Post
Was it from Olympia?
Yes! I've been meaning to say thanks to for letting me know about it. Nrobert10 and I went down about a month to salvage it. The inside fiberglass liner should still be there, we found that it lowered the standing room significantly so we opted to not take it. It was 50% off that weekend so I got it for 40$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Coddou View Post
Has anyone glued flexible solar panels on the 24" bubble top? i like the look of the bubble top over the transit style top. The transit style could be better for flexible solar and for a top bunk bed for my little girls, it looks bigger.
Any input?
Thanks.
I'm debating on doing this as well because my top does not have a lot of wood re-reinforcement. My only concern is that people have said they don't last long due to zero airflow beneath the panel and the roof. Still on the fence, the van gets quite warm in the sun, if I have the option I am always going to park it in the shade so I'm still preferring a portable setup.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #89

My buddy put 300W of Renogy Flexible Solar on his 16" Aero top. He used the 3M VHB Tape. You can see the 3rd panel in front of the roof vent. They conform to his roof very well. He has had them on there for over a year now without any problems, with lots of trips taken. Only time will tell if they last as long as my rigid Renogy Solar Panels though.

His van does get hotter inside quicker than my van, but there are many differences between the two vans than just the gap under the solar to explain that. Paint Color, his single layer roof vs my dual layer roof, and overall height of roof (volume) all factor in to the interior temps. But undoubtedly the air gap under my solar lets the solar heat escape and shades my actual roof to some degree.

I have a little wind buffeting noise coming from the area of either my roof vent or the solar panels when we're running 75 MPH. I don't notice it in his van and he has a vent too. My assumption is my solar is disrupting air flow, creating the noise, and affecting to some small degree, fuel mileage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4729.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	27390

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #90

Garage
Does anybody know what it would cost to ship a fixed top or how to get it set up? I honestly don't have a clue how to ship something that large. Trying to figure out if it's worth my time to drive all the way to Cali to have Fiberine install a top, ship it to DFW and do it myself, or if the local van conversion companies price is reasonable.