Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Arctic do you have details on this? What axle, what year, what limited slip, part #'s, etc?
Traction aids like limited slip or lockers can be added to pretty much any axle. I installed a Yukon Duragrip into my front Dana 44, along with a total rebuild. When I say "I", I really mean Randy's ring and pinion service.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #22

Haha, yep, I get that. "Randy" will probably be doing mine too. Thanks for the info.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #23

Garage
I have driven LSD trucks and vans since the 80's in Alberta and BC. I am no stranger to snow and ice. I agree with all the comments about LSD can make a slide worse. The nice thing about a LSD is that your throttle is your best friend. A little more or less goes along way in the control department. I find that I can really decide (based on throttle action) when my LSD engages and disengages. Driving to the conditions is a big part of it though. I run studded winters in my van and it's like driving with Velcro. I wouldn't go without them in BC. It's also the law on any mountain pass in BC. I am putting them on Wednesday. I have to say that the last few days have been a blast with my Baja MTZ's. With the 6-8" of snow here there's is that little devil that just wants to play with the accelerator. You have got to love a 4 wheel drift up a curve.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #24

[QUOTE= I wouldn't go without them in BC. It's also the law on any mountain pass in BC. I am putting them on Wednesday. Darryl[/QUOTE]

Yikes, I'm planning on a trip up the Yellowhead to Prince Rupert after Xmas. Do I really need studs to be legal? I've already got tires with the mountain snow flake designation, will that make me legal? If not, will chains work? Thanks...
Advanced 4wd
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark View Post
I have driven LSD trucks and vans since the 80's in Alberta and BC. I am no stranger to snow and ice. I agree with all the comments about LSD can make a slide worse. The nice thing about a LSD is that your throttle is your best friend. A little more or less goes along way in the control department. I find that I can really decide (based on throttle action) when my LSD engages and disengages. Driving to the conditions is a big part of it though. I run studded winters in my van and it's like driving with Velcro. I wouldn't go without them in BC. It's also the law on any mountain pass in BC. I am putting them on Wednesday. I have to say that the last few days have been a blast with my Baja MTZ's. With the 6-8" of snow here there's is that little devil that just wants to play with the accelerator. You have got to love a 4 wheel drift up a curve.
Cheers
Darryl
It's funny, I actually prefer an automatic locker (Detroit etc) in the rear for snow and ice. I find that a limited slip (clutch based anyway) is somewhat unpredictable in when it will work or not in low traction situations. A Detroit, on the other hand, is so predictable that you can steer with the throttle in snow all day long. Granted, I wouldn't want my wife to drive it. But for ME it would be the preferred rear diff. My van now has ARBs front and rear to make it as easy (stupid proof?) in the event that my wife has to drive it.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
It's funny, I actually prefer an automatic locker (Detroit etc) in the rear for snow and ice. I find that a limited slip (clutch based anyway) is somewhat unpredictable in when it will work or not in low traction situations. A Detroit, on the other hand, is so predictable that you can steer with the throttle in snow all day long. Granted, I wouldn't want my wife to drive it. But for ME it would be the preferred rear diff. My van now has ARBs front and rear to make it as easy (stupid proof?) in the event that my wife has to drive it.
Agreed. I will upgrade to a Truetrack in the rear for sure but the factory one works fine for now. I wouldn't want to be without one. The clutch packs in a factory LSD are function-able. Especially if your used to it.
VA7DTP
Old 12-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Yikes, I'm planning on a trip up the Yellowhead to Prince Rupert after Xmas. Do I really need studs to be legal? I've already got tires with the mountain snow flake designation, will that make me legal? If not, will chains work? Thanks...
You don't need studs. At minim you need M+S or Snowflake rated tires. The Yellowhead is a great trip. Nice and easy. Where are you crossing into Canada?
Darryl
VA7DTP
Old 12-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark View Post
You don't need studs. At minim you need M+S or Snowflake rated tires. The Yellowhead is a great trip. Nice and easy. Where are you crossing into Canada?
Darryl
That's good news. I'll be coming from Missoula but I'm unsure if I'll take 95 or 97 as I head North. I need to do some more research to make sure where the passes are on both sides of the border. I could easily see having to backtrack due to a closed pass.

Sorry if I've derailed this thread, it's probably best if I start another for discussion of winter routes in B.C. Thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Old 12-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
My van now has ARBs front and rear to make it as easy (stupid proof?) in the event that my wife has to drive it.
I'm gonna go with... How it sounded wasn't really how you meant it.