Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #1

Garage
KYB v Bilsteins - Stock E150

Generally believe you get what you pay for, but there are also cases of just buy what you need. Really wondering if I will feel a difference between the KYB Gas-A-Just and the Bilsteins on my particular van. Looking to upgrade from stock.

4.6L E150, no lift, 56k miles, BFG ATs, generally light build. Van was 5300lb (3000f, 2300r) as empty cargo van. No idea what I am at now....but my interior in minimal w/ camping gear and a couple mountain bikes.

Driving is 95% pavement and some dirt roads to trailheads, etc.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #2

I have not used the KYB's. I have had bilsteins on several ford Van's (all E350s. On every single one it gave a more firm performance type ride. E150s are generally soft from the factory. I would think the 150s ride would benefit from the Bilstiens. But the stock Van's only have about 2-1/2" of travel max, so it's not going transform your ride magically.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #3

The Gas-A-Just is basically OEM grade. The newer takes off factory shocks are well tuned for lighter vans IMO but don’t long.

KYB does make the MonoMax as well which performs as well as Bilstein but it’s not rebuildable. I bought mine through Les Schwab, so I just get a new free set installed every 60-80k