Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #1

Land Rover LR4 seat - anyone tried?

My wife and I just purchased a used Land Rover and the first thing I fell in love with was the way the 3rd row of seats disappears when collapsed to a completely flat rear deck. This might make a perfect starting point for a platform bed.

Here is a video of the setup: https://youtu.be/PzaLO6ZLrW8

I know it would take heavy mods or fabrication from scratch, but has anyone done a retrofit or installed something similar in their van?

PS eyes were wide open when purchasing this Land Rover, but my best memories and adventures always seem to accompany my "worst" vehicles.

bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #2

The issue would be the floor pan of a van is flat. The floor of a Land Rover is not. Not the cargo floor, but the actual floor.
Another thing to look at is the relation of the "flat" folded seats compare to the top of the rear wheel wells. Now consider what that would look like in a van.

A similar situation exists with the Stow-n-Go seats in a Chrysler minivan. They are possible due to the large cavities in the floor pan which can happen because of the FWD unibody layout of the van. The engineers basically started with those seat cavities and designed the rest of the van around them. The seats of your LR are not quite the same, but close.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaine View Post
I know it would take heavy mods or fabrication from scratch, but has anyone done a retrofit or installed something similar in their van?
Using those parts would be best accomplished finding a smashed to hell RR LR4 and cutting out the entire rear floor pan then grafting that into an E-Series. That is doable BUT the cost would be "significant" to use a word.

Lots of moving parts to such a swap or modification----not sure the end result would be worth the time, money and hassles. There are more than a few folding/retractable bed ideas here on SMB entailing a much easier and quicker path to completion.

Let us know if you gut ANY Range Rover---that'd be fascinating!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote