Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #31

Re: larger fuel tank?

that sure hangs down, but I wouldn't mind. its nice to have the range. last summer I dropped my tank and POR15 for now.

I also have an espar diesel heater (not hooked up yet) and plan to get an aux tank that as I plan to run for the heater and transfer when needed. I hope to put by my rear under deck storage if I can fit one. (spare tire area)

we shall see once I get the funds

MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Is Aero Tanks offering the E-series in tanks in gas now? I checked a while back and they could only sell them for diesel because gas has to meet some extra standards.
Just got of the phone with Jake at aero. He says they may be able to make a tank for gas I would need to take a picture of the ring where the pump goes and send it to him. It is the ring that holds the pump in that is the problem not the gas itself. price is 895.00 if the ring issue isn't to complicated
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #33
Site Team

Saw this footnote on the bottom of Aerotanks webpage.

"*Please note that in California only, gasoline tanks for some 1990-2009 vehicles are not available."
Old 04-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #34

Has anyone found another tank solution? Was Aerotanks able to help anyone with a gas (not diesel) tank? I'm in need and it looks like Ujoint's tank won't work for my Quigley.

Thanks
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #35

I didn't get the aerotank because of the way it hung down. Although no lower than the transfer case it extends a long way back and would be much harder to keep off a large obstacle. From the digging I've done there doesn't seem to be much else out there except DIY.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #36

I finally got my sending unit situation sorted out today. Below is the pm I sent Eric 86scotty about the whole situation.

Eric,

Your timing is really funny, I just picked my van up today and my issue with the sending unit has finally been resolved. To answer your questions directly, yes the filler is in exactly the same spot as the factory unit. My sense is that each of these tanks are made to order essentially and the fit is actually quite good. I did get the skid plate, mostly bc I figured I was spending $1000 bucks essentially after install so I may as well add the extra ten percent or so. I don't offroad heavily either and probably will never need it. Just a better safe than sorry thing for me.

The longer version of the story is this: I could never get their sending unit to work with my van. Jake at Aero was always super responsive and he sent me another sending unit free of charge which was great, but it also didn't work. Jake claims they've done a lot of these and never had an issue and I believe him, we could just never get it to work with my van. Ultimately I purchased another Ford factory unit (don't ask the cost, I can't even type it) because I was just ready to get the ordeal over with. Had I hung onto my original unit then this wouldn't have been a big deal. We just cut the hole slightly bigger and the Ford unit went right in. But I didn't and I learned something there. Again, Jake at Aero was always very responsive and has offered to help offset my cost for the Ford unit.

Regarding the actual tank itself, having seen it fully yesterday while it was out from under my van I'd have the say it isn't as pretty as some. However it does seem to be plenty strong and I'm not too concerned about the aesthetics of something under my van as long as it functions. Which I'm happy to say mine now does. I went with Aero primarily bc the cost was about half that of a Transfer Flo unit, but ultimately I ended up paying about what I'd have paid for a TF unit considering all the labor. The good news is I do now have 45 gallons of usable capacity....and I learned something. I am comfortable recommending Aero, just keep your old sending unit just in case.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #37

Whit, thanks for the info. I got my tank dropped and fuel pump/sender/flange sent off to Aerotanks yesterday. Jake said that would be the cheapest and easiest option, to just cut out my whole pump mount flange and have them mount it in the new tank when they build it. I'm stoked and anxious! When I dropped my tank yesterday I was expecting to find rust on top since I had some smell at fill ups, but luckily all I found was a tear in a vent hose. The OEM tank looked great except for rust around the cut/weld in the front for the T-case. That was good news but I'm still glad to get more capacity and lose my leaky rear transfer flow as well. I hope to make a rear storage box out of it.

Question: If you have a Quigley you probably had a relocated front tank strap, with Quigley's homemade brace just behind the T-case. Did you have to remove it? It looks like it's just bolted in but I'm not sure if I will even have to bother with it.

Also, is yours 45 or 40? The website shows it as a 'van40' tank.

Thanks
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #38

Scotty,

The transfer case crossmember didn't need to be touched, and all the tank straps were removed. The Aero tank bolts directly to the frame. Does that answer your question?

I had the option of having the tank made as large as I wanted up to 45 gallons depending on how far down I was willing to let it hang. I went with 45.

On another note, if you are putting the diesel from your old stock tank back into the new one make sure and filter it really well. My old stock tank was showing some delamination and I fear that we poured some of that into the new tank. I did have the fuel filters changed when we did it, and I've since already gone through another primary filter. The nice thing about the Aero tank it that it has a drain hole and can be emptied in place so we emptied all the fuel and screened it then poured it back in. However I don't think all the crap can get past the baffles so I may be going through another filter or two before it's all out.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #39

For those of you who have experienced a fuel tank delamination problem. There is one more screen/filter you may not be aware of. It is in the fuel pump itself. And it is not accessible. See attached pdf for pictures. So if you had fuel starvation problems due to clogged filters, you may want to replace your fuel pump as well. (BTW, after extensive investigation Ford-Trucks.com's "Tugly" believes that the oem Ford fuel pump is the best.)

From F250_ , Pete "UPDATE: Stock Fuel Pump Teardown - Questions Answered and PICS":

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12981 ... -pics.html

I have posted this before, but here is my fuel delamination story:

Ford Painted the Inside of the Fuel Tank ! ???

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11837 ... -tank.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Pump Tear Down.pdf (1.10 MB, 8 views)
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #40

E350,

Thanks for the good info, very enlightening. Mine seems to run really well for a while after a filter change and then it starts to show starvation symptoms sporadically after a while. I'm just assuming that its in those moments when some of the crap from the tank is being sucked up into the filter. Changing the pump out is something to keep in mind though. Any thoughts on whether or not I should be changing out the secondary filter under the hood every time I do the larger primary one? I know I should under normal maintenance practice, but in what I'm hoping is this fairly short lived and unique scenario it sure would be nice to just do the easy one.