Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #41

Re: larger fuel tank?

I am an idiot savant as far as engines go. I was forced to learn something about my 7.3L because of my fuel tanks' delamination problem. So I am "Learning slowly" and developing a working understanding about that particular engine. The oem 7.3L has fuel screens in the fuel tank which are removed during the Hutch Mod and are replaced with a fuel strainer (Racor PS120) on the frame rail pre-pump. (Apparently the 6.0L does not have these screens in the tank.) See mine but there are many others:

Hodgson's Hutch Mod/Frame Rail Pre-Pump Strainer

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12028 ... ainer.html

We have a main filter-water separator in the engine valley between the valve covers. We don't have a secondary filter.

My guess is that you have a secondary filter for a reason. And that reason is to protect the fuel injectors at any cost. I have looked at mine through a stereoscope and some of the weensy teensy seven nozzle holes look clogged. So, in addition to doing what you are doing, I will be replacing my fuel pump and flushing the fuel lines backwards and removing the fuel rail plugs on the back of each head and flushing the fuel galleries out.

If you have had a delamination problem, if it were me, I would at least replace the fuel pump and disconnect the fuel line at the tank and flush them backwards. And I would replace all your (two?) filters every month until clean. Consider this: The fuel pump acts as a macerator. It takes the goo and flakes from the tank delamination and macerates them making the delamination material very very very fine. So fine that it might make it past your filters. So buy good filters and change them often.

But remember, I am an idiot savant (or less) about this stuff. So, before you do anything, start reading and asking questions about your engine here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #42

Re: larger fuel tank?

My instinct tells me to do what you suggest. My laziness wants me to do what I suggest. I think I'll go with the better safe than lazy and with a busted engine theory. Thanks again.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote