Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

Garage
Learning to Weld

I’m taking a welding class and our first session was last night. Had a blast! Always wanted to learn and now I’ll know just enough to be dangerous.

The teachers were great. They had us making little caterpillars all night. Then we got to weld something together. So this is my first-ever weld. Ugly as sin but you gotta start somewhere! I’m gonna hang my new welding jacket on it.
Attached Thumbnails
E42A032D-1B37-4A69-A9E6-1863EA75D9A4.jpg  

Old 01-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #2

Garage
Nice work! Look forward to seeing some of your projects

We have a virtual welder here at the school and it’s awesome for honing in timing without wasting coupons. Nothing beats real world though. Cant beat that melting metal sensation.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Garage
Funny you mention welding... I had to teach myself how and weld about 50' to finish a project at my warehouse. It's pretty fun and now I'm just looking for stuff to weld.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Nice work! Look forward to seeing some of your projects

We have a virtual welder here at the school and it’s awesome for honing in timing without wasting coupons. Nothing beats real world though. Cant beat that melting metal sensation.
A virtual welder! That’s high class! We’re in a beat up old warehouse freezing our butts off. I was never so glad I thought to stuff my down jacket into my backpack.

It did get a little warmer when we cozied up to that 2200 degrees, though.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Funny you mention welding... I had to teach myself how and weld about 50' to finish a project at my warehouse. It's pretty fun and now I'm just looking for stuff to weld.
Right? I’m a woodworker but this is a whole different animal. Lotsa fun, especially the sparks.

I saw a funny decal at the welding shop today: “Certified YouTube Welder.” I’ll be watching everything I can find to augment my class.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #6

Welding tips and tricks on YouTube has some good info.

My advice is to just get as much arc time as possible and get a feel for all the variables at play. Training your muscles to do the same small movements every time is important and that only comes through experience. Find a simple series of projects and get to work. It’s a great skill to have, very useful.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #7

Garage
MG, I’ll check out the Tube for that, thanks. I feel fortunate the place I’m learning is just down the road. After the class is done, we can use their facility/equipment for $25/hr, so I hope to get lots of practice in.

I got inspired to do this watching Sam Mulder (NorthLeftCoast) fabricate my aluminum under-storage box. The thing is a work of art and I’d like to graduate to TIG welding aluminum one day.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #8

Welding is awesome, just like "SuperGlue"! I have been welding/fabricating for almost 30 years, I still have learned so much from Jody Collier at Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info
(^Haha, it appears to be a link, but that is not what I typed.)

He is incredibly knowledgeable and the very best teacher with the best "arc shots" I have ever seen. Check him out, if you haven't already!
TooMuchHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #9

Garage
Hair: ya it’s a link, right to his website. Thanks.

I started watching him about a week ago and I like his style. Not too intense but lots of information. Another one I like - and get a big kick out of - is This Old Tony. I’ve learned a lot and gotten some good laughs in, too.

My second class is tonight. Then we’re supposed to pick a project for our lab time. I think I’d like a small welding table.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #10

Garage
On the other hand, if I can just buy one for $69... Best review comment: “I got tired of my workmate top catching on fire.”

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjust...ble-61369.html