Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #31

today was a good day on the van. I got an early start and worked until about 3 pm. I was able to stiffen up the side boxes and get the bed platform worked out.

I ordered some panel hanging fixtures from mcmaster and used them along with 2x4s that have 3/4 plywood glued and screwed to the 2x4s. the plywood also sits atop the edge of the side boxes to help with the weight so all the weight of the bed is not on the panel hangers.

the bed is built as 2 panels with the center 2x4 not connected to either panel, but both edges rest on top of the center beam for support. ill have to see if it gets too rackety while driving.

Then i got the location for my battery pack all set up and ran the wiring for the ceiling and under bed lights.

the van is pretty useable as is. i still need to do some more work to add some cubbies and lids to the side boxes, then i can make the side panels/window coverings to clean up the walls. Flooring needs to go in and then the ceiling. its getting there...

axcxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #32

with all of the outdoors stuff that the van brings us to, the med-kit needed a permanent home. something that when you opened the door, it was immediately visible. that was the project today after work.

to finish these cubbies, ill use some bungee netting or something so that the stuff doesnt fall out. but im pretty happy with how this is coming together
Old 05-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #33

Some of the pictures aren't showing up in the thread. Anyone else have this problem?
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #34

hmm..im hosting them from my google photos acct. ill have to check that im sharing them correctly. thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #35

seems its a bit too late to edit the earlier post, so ill re-post the pictures from above

this is the construction of the bed platform from this weekend and the addition of the underbed lights. the platform is made into two panels and is removable.
Attached Thumbnails
2019-05-18.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  
Old 05-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #36

Yes, I can't see images in some posts either, I had just assumed it was filters at work blocking them. Posts #26, 30, and 31 in particular don't show for me.

I'm really intrigued by the bed build photos you just posted, I've not seen those hanging brackets before. Are they on every 2x4, and the whole top surface of the bed comes off in one piece? I really like the idea of that.
fleabagmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #37

I got the metal brackets from mcmaster. they are called panel hanging brackets

https://www.mcmaster.com/panel-hanging-brackets

They dont have a weight capacity rating, so i sunk in the longest screws that i could, and then had the top plywood overhang the side boxes so that the weight isnt fully on the metal bracket and screws.

Each 2x4 has a set of those brackets connecting them to the side boxes. the top of the bed is split into two panels, so that it lifts off in 2 pieces. I considered one piece but i figured it would be too difficult to handle.

I wanted to keep the option of having a lot of space and using the van as a cargo van if i need to, so an easily removable bed is important to me.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #38

trying to work on it consistently in little bites. instead of just big chunks. I got the access holes cut into the box sides today. these will be for storing large chunky things like the toolkit that live in the van.

i also sucked my hand into the belt sander. that was fun.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #39

trying to work on closing the tops of the side boxes today. incorporating some center console trays with USB plugs. will also be putting in some cup holders.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #40

busy last couple weeks. I havent gotten as much done on that van as I had hoped to..but i got to do some camping with it and run it through its paces. Also found some roof leaks where the roof racks mount through, so those will need to be addressed.

I got the bed frame all closed up with the side lids. im happy with how they came out. each bedside tray has a 12v usb plug in it for phone charging that is connected to the house battery

I also got the window trim panels made. Still have to upholster them before installation. but before that, the bed needs to be upholstered.

I directed an adventure race last saturday where i had to camp in the van overnight and drive all around the race course. the bed was very comfortable and the amount of storage inside was awesome...so much room for activities!

with the need to begin upholstering, I wanted to start with the floor tiles, so i managed to get them in after work today. IM not crazy about how visible the seams are. but they are comfortable and easy to work with. ill see if/how long they hold up, and if they need to be redone then ill do that when it comes. but now i can start getting the bed finished.