Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

limp mode?

I took my van to a guy in Arizona to have it converted to 4wd, and we used axles from a 2015 f350 super duty. Dana 60 front and Sterling in the rear. The problem now is the mechanic says the speed sensor or whatever is not communicating with the rear axle, and the engine will only run in limp mode. Oh, by the way the van is a 97 e350 diesel, and the mechanic isn't sure what to do.
I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but if so I couldn't find it.
If anyone can point us in the right direction for a solution, I will be so grateful, thanks.

bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #2

Garage
Call Quad Van, Agile, or U-Joint to see if they might offer a bit of their knowledge?

Additionally --- I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks here, but is it possible that the engine computer IS communicating with the axles, but getting back speed sensor data it doesn't like?

Maybe as a result of re-gearing the van for the 4WD / bigger tires, there's now a conflict created between axle-speed inputs and transmission speed sensor inputs, a mix that (to the computer) doesn't make sense together. (For example, transmission speed sensor is sending signal that says van should be going 35mph when axle speed sensors say van should be going 25mph, for instance.) Perhaps there's a recalibration that needs to be done to get the sensors all happily in the same range together?

Limp mode could be triggered by a whole host of issues, maybe its related to something else. 1997 is an OBD2 engine computer year, which is good --- so start for sure with the trouble codes. Do you know what codes the engine is throwing?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the ideas, and yeah your right the speedo reads 100mph while the van is actually going 8mph.
I went to Ujoint offroads website and see that they sell a control box for this, I guess the original speed sensor was gear driven and the newer ones are vss, sensors. I've emailed Chris there and am waiting on a reply hopefully the control box he sells will be the solution to this.
I don't know if the engine is giving any codes because it's over 450 miles away.
Thank you again for the good suggestions.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad luck View Post
Thanks for the ideas, and yeah your right the speedo reads 100mph while the van is actually going 8mph.
I went to Ujoint offroads website and see that they sell a control box for this, I guess the original speed sensor was gear driven and the newer ones are vss, sensors. I've emailed Chris there and am waiting on a reply hopefully the control box he sells will be the solution to this.
I don't know if the engine is giving any codes because it's over 450 miles away.
Thank you again for the good suggestions.
Good info!

The trouble codes:
Your mechanic (any mechanic, and in fact any person....) can hook up a $15 OBD2 code reader under the dashboard and pull all the trouble codes. Any good mechanic should start there. (He probably has.)

He should be able to share those all with you.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #5

Garage
Hit up MG at ExpoVans and he can tell you whats wrong as we just did this not long ago.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

Garage
Check out post #84 on this page -
Not So Subtle E350 Shuttle - 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed MG Coil Build - Page 9 - Expedition Portal

Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Garage
Who did you take it to in AZ?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

Was gonna chime in here but you already kind of got the gist. No way the sensors from a 2015 are compatible with a 1997.

Hope that's an easy fix for you guys and yeah, need pics of your van.....
Old 10-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

I met a guy named Mike Leavitt at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, last spring and he had a nice 4x4 van that he had converted. And since the Phoenix area is so much closer than taking it up to MG in Portland I thought WTH. HUGE mistake, I wish I had gone to MG instead, I dropped my van off with the axles on June 1st and have been waiting ever since.
I did send MG an email for any advice he might give us. I know he could solve this. But I'm waiting for a reply.
I asked the mechanic in Arizona about the engine codes but he hasn't got back to me yet.
Thank you so much for all the advice.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad luck View Post
I met a guy named Mike Leavitt at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, last spring and he had a nice 4x4 van that he had converted. And since the Phoenix area is so much closer than taking it up to MG in Portland I thought WTH. HUGE mistake, I wish I had gone to MG instead, I dropped my van off with the axles on June 1st and have been waiting ever since.
I did send MG an email for any advice he might give us. I know he could solve this. But I'm waiting for a reply.
I asked the mechanic in Arizona about the engine codes but he hasn't got back to me yet.
Thank you so much for all the advice.
I sent you an email a few minutes ago. Hope it clears things up for you.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote