Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
Bee

Link it up please!

I need some steps for building up my cargo van. If you all could provide some links for me that have instructions for a noob? I don't know which steps to take first. Do I start with the floor? Then the walls? When do I do the wiring? Predy much a noob so I'm looking for some well written or well video recorded steps to take. I've watched a lot of videos but sometimes they make me overwhelmed. I feel stuck. Know the feeling? Like writers block. I have the van. Now what!?

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

Re: Link it up please!

I think before anyone here can provide much help you will need to let them know what your plan is. What are you looking to do with the van? Is it just a weekend camper/long haul road tripping van/off road...etc... Many of your choices will depend heavily on what you plan to do with it first. It might not do any good to show you a tutorial on putting in a carpeted floor if you are planning on being able to throw muddy dirtbikes in the back sometimes or if you don't plan on putting solar on the roof a guide for that wouldn't be helpful either.

What's your intended use of the van?

The other thing I would suggest is going through the "Homemade/Ground up Builds" category and look at the posts that have a lot of pages, these tend to be posts where the builders are continually updating the post with their build progress. Those posts tend to have lots of pics and good ideas in them.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

^^^What he said^^^
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

Post pictures inside and out.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #5

Garage

Not going in too much details, here are the major steps I did:

1. Installing high top and windows
2. Insulation
3. Floor
4. Walls
5. Cabinetry
6. Water system
7. Wiring

Of course, I had drawings done before starting the build, so I knew exactly what I wanted to reach.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Ben has it right: What's your intended use of the van?

That is your starting point, in detail.

What use, season, occupants, toys, terrain, budget, etc? What is your personal skill set / tolerance for DIY? What history and type of camping? Step by step is the way to not be overwhelmed, and this planning is the first step.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281
The other thing I would suggest is going through the "Homemade/Ground up Builds" category and look at the posts that have a lot of pages, these tend to be posts where the builders are continually updating the post with their build progress. Those posts tend to have lots of pics and good ideas in them.
+1 on this. All the info you need, and more, is likely already covered in that forum area. Set aside some time to read through the posts... I'd advise any noob to mine the forums and read as many threads as possible. That's what I did, and it was a huge help. It will give you tons of ideas. If you have any questions after that, people will be more than happy to help you work through them (in my experience).

Good luck with the van build!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
Bee

Thanks fellas. I have been mining thru the ground up forum as well as other threads. I'm just wondering if any of you have bookmarks some good resource links.

I have a 2006 E250 Econoline Cargo Extended Length.

Use mainly road trips and some day short distance commuter.

Don't need a kitchen or bathroom. Water faucet will be last need.

Want an electric pop top but don't know if that step can happen any time in the process or if it'll mess up work I've already done (which as of now no work has been done which is why I'm asking if it makes a difference)

Will need the roof for whitewater kayak hauling and occasional sea kayak.

Plan to put a bed in back for sleeping sideways.

I'm picking up a bench seat from a 2008-2014 style passenger van which has 2 built in shoulder strap seat belts because I have a baby.

Should also mention this will be a family camper. Me, wife, and baby (+1 more in future)

I'm trying to budget this. Spent $6k cash on van.

I'd like hard floor that can handle spills and dirty boots/shoes.

I'm going to add a window on the left side. Should that be done first?

Also, I want that bench seat installed ASAP. But how will that effect putting in floor insulation and flooring? This is the type of thing that I wonder what needs to happen first?

Is this a good start to answer some of your questions?
Basically looking for steps. There are tons of threads in this forum, finding the good ones is not easy. I waste a lot of time behind this phone screen that when I'm done, I've wasted a full afternoon.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I waste a lot of time behind this phone screen that when I'm done, I've wasted a full afternoon.
...perhaps a larger screen will speed things up.....

seriously.......if you are thinking about a penthouse top or a window, do those first.

Then insulate & install a floor.....you'll have a warm blank canvas with a view.

Think about wiring before you install the floor and/or insulate, way easier before the walls and floor are installed.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #10

Smokin' buy !!!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I have a 2006 E250 Econoline Cargo Extended Length. ... Spent $6k cash on van.
Do you mind sharing what engine it has, how many miles it has, and how many miles you have put on it since purchase?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote