Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #11

Thanks Free Agent,

You know the saying about "Fools rushing in where Angels fear to tread" I'm sure.

Thanks for taking the time to find that CL post. I'll go there next if I can manage to not delete my reply again here. If I delete my reply here again it's all harakiri at that point. :/

I will only use the welder at my house/shop.
This brings up a point I've been in denial about.
I put in a 50 amp/ 220 outlet for my wife's electric car. (... you never know when I might need to weld on your brand new car honey! She was so appreciative when I handed her the bill )
Here's the issue: the plug is roughly 70' from the cover of my shop. that's why I might have have portability in mind. What i didn't want to think about is explaining to my wife that my welding table needs share the drive way for a week, read several months. Not happening :/ ... plus it rains a lot round here.

So I need to face my limitations. Can I AC TIG with the likes of the above mentioned Lincoln Precision Tig 225 or Miller Diversion 180 on a long marine style "shore cord"?
I believe I fudged a little on the wire so that I might be-able to jump to a 60 amp breaker and still protect her car. I forget the details.

It's tight in my panel but maybe I could squeeze in another 220 breaker and run it toward the shop .... after which I will be sleeping with the welder, I better find one I like :/

Any thoughts that might save my marriage would be a appreciated.
Refer to the aforementioned "Foolwhorushesin" .... this mighta coulda been my SMF handle

Cheers

1972 Bronco, I sure wish I had checked the oil :/
'69 Schwinn
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #12

..... trying to reply quickly before the flood of laughter and ridicule starts pouring in (not really, this seems like such a nice group )

It looks like I'm way short of being able to AC TIG with my 50/60 amp 220?

... looks like it's me, my pillow and the welder out in the shop from here on ... :/

How many amps would I need 220 to run the above machine. On their web site Lincoln mentioned %60 at 110 amps ... is that telling me what I think it's telling me? Being clueless about weldin: What percentage would one need to weld 1/2 Al? 7/16? 1/4? with the above machines?
'69 Schwinn
Old 06-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #13

The power requirements will certainly pertain to which machine you end up getting. You'll have to consult the documentation specific to the machine you get and then use an ampacity chart and voltage drop chart/calculator to determine what wire requirements you'll have for hookup at your distance.

There are several ways to tackle this depending on what you actually end up needing. Custom made extension of appropriate gauge or maybe you could just make a permanent run from your existing panel and install a sub panel in the shop? This would allow you to add a receptacle for the your welder and maybe a few additional circuits for other needs.

I think a more important factor is whether your shop will provide you a good environment for TIG welding. You mentioned briefly about welding the driveway etc. However, with TIG it is of the utmost importance to have a controlled environment where your shielding gas (argon for TIG) won't get blown away or disrupted while welding. You'll need a protected shielding gas envelope in order to avoid possible welding defects especially on aluminum.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #14

Got it. Thanks.
I do have an enclosed space to protect shielding gas.

That Lincoln you located on CL looks like a good deal particularly if he'll come down even a little. If I can't hope to get that machine to work you have inspired me to start looking at used units. Have enough info from everybody's help here to start doing my own homework.

Thanks Again
'69 Schwinn
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #15

I’m thinking to buy this plasma cutter but am looking for any input as to whether it is big enough for various E-van 4x4 conversion work. Like cutting cross members etc .
Recommended 1/4 inch “soft” steel steady cut, up to 5/8”.
The upside for me is that it can run on 110 and 220 which gives quite a bit of flexibility.

Im guessing frame members are hardened steel?
If so would this machine even touch it?

Does anybody have a machine they love in this class (read ~$1200 +/-)?
I need to exhaust used options before I pull the trigger, pun intended

Thanks

https://store.cyberweld.com/thdycu42plcu1.htm
'69 Schwinn
Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #16

Most of the welders in the class you are looking at are intended to run on a 50 amp 220 v circuit. Because the welder drops the voltage down, they are capable of welding at much higher amps. A 250 amp welder still runs off a 50 amp circuit.
A 50-100’ cord rated for 50 amps shouldn’t be a problem.
As far as the dual voltage machines (welder or plasma), Keep in mind that they have much less capacity when running on 110 volts.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #17

Thanks Telesteve,

You’re on my list to contact.
I remembered that you have the Cut Master 58.

Your 58 looks like it steady cuts half inch and can cut much bigger. Would you say your machine has the minimum capacity for E-van conversion work? Or would you think this smaller machine could possibly work?

I have a need for a cutting torch now and want to make sure I cover my bases. Cutting frame members etc is my first concern, I have the 220 figured for my shop out now. The 110 is secondary but might be nice when using remotely, but again, not at the expense of what I really need at home.

Thanks for your time.
'69 Schwinn
Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #18

I've done quite a bit of welding over the years, gas, mig and stick but always wanted a machine I could tig with. Couple months ago I finally bought one, did not want to spend a lot of money on something that was kind of an unknown for me, so after a ton of research I bought a AHP Alpha tig 201XD, $699.
This welder has been perfect for me and I absolutely love it. I use it almost exclusively for aluminium, but also stick weld with it and it does both great.
Comes with a three year warranty, AC/DC, 110 or 220, stick or tig, I highly recommend it. If a 200 amp machine will work for you, it's a great welder for the price.
Attached Thumbnails
welder.jpg  
gwbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #19

Excellent, I’ll take a look. Great price!
You have any experience with plasma cutters?
That’s my current main objective with the welder close behind.

Thanks!
'69 Schwinn
Old 06-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #20

It is pretty rare to need to cut more then 1/4” steel for most van work. I couldn’t imagine ever needing to cut more than 5/8”.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote