Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2023, 01:19 AM   #1
KL2

Looking for Feedback On Potential Layout

Hello Everyone,

In the initial stages of playing around with how I would want the layout. Currently using sketchup as a crude “to scale” visualization of what I’m wanting to do.

The table would slide out on drawer slides. The Couch would have a flip over backrest using this (https://www.recpro.com/recpro-rv-rol...inge-mechanism) hinge. This would be the secondary bed, used only in “stealth” camping scenarios, or if the weather is extraordinarily bad.

I was initially drawn to the rb50 style layout, but having a workspace in the van for two is essential. I couldn’t find a way to have a table in the rb50 layout that isn’t just taking up the entire van, or incredibly hard to maneuverer around it. I’ve contemplated many designs but I think this is my best contender for my needs. I’m planning on going with a ccv pop top.

I’m looking to get feedback from those with a pop top, or ideally a similar conversion on how you think this layout would work. My main concern is the bench seat actually being usable considering the curvature of the van body. I’m also 6’5 which makes everything more difficult in a small space.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 12.18.00 AM.jpg  

KL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:13 AM   #2

I built mine in a similar fashion.
I’m assuming you have an older Ford or Chevy based on the comment about the curvature of the van. And yes, it will be an issue if so. I’m 6’1” and the way mine turned out is not so comfortable for me. 97 Ford eb. I also have a sportsmobile penthouse top which might protrude to the middle of the van a bit more where the lifting frame/mechanism mounts compared to a ccv top. I tried to take into account the seat bottom height and the low point of the pop tops frame lowest point near the wall. I fit based on headroom but it’s just not comfortable to sit for long.
Our seating is kind of an L layout with a seat also at the back doors so i usually sit there. And the more vertical lines of the doors are much more comfortable. Definitely try and mock it up before you commit.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:49 AM   #3
KL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
I built mine in a similar fashion.
I’m assuming you have an older Ford or Chevy based on the comment about the curvature of the van. And yes, it will be an issue if so. I’m 6’1” and the way mine turned out is not so comfortable for me. 97 Ford eb. I also have a sportsmobile penthouse top which might protrude to the middle of the van a bit more where the lifting frame/mechanism mounts compared to a ccv top. I tried to take into account the seat bottom height and the low point of the pop tops frame lowest point near the wall. I fit based on headroom but it’s just not comfortable to sit for long.
Our seating is kind of an L layout with a seat also at the back doors so i usually sit there. And the more vertical lines of the doors are much more comfortable. Definitely try and mock it up before you commit.
I will definitely mock it up before I commit. I also need to get more exact dimensions, including the wall taper so I can make a much more accurate model even before that. I currently don't have the van yet, I want to make sure it's perfect for my needs before I pull the trigger.

As for the year, I'm looking at late model years (2013/14). Is there a major difference in the curvature of the late model E350s vs. the older ones?
Old 01-31-2023, 11:03 AM   #4

Eseries body is largely unchanged '92-'14. some small differences throughout the years but the wall curvature is the same.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:35 PM   #5

I don't think you will be comfortable sitting in that configuration. I had an RB30 layout that had a gaucho bench/bed and it was difficult to sit in and I'm only 5'8".
Old 01-31-2023, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I don't think you will be comfortable sitting in that configuration. I had an RB30 layout that had a gaucho bench/bed and it was difficult to sit in and I'm only 5'8".
Mikracer is exactly right. I'm 6'6" and have had two 30 configurations go thru here. You will not be comfortable sitting on the gaucho. When you lean back your head will be pushed forward by the wall/ceiling transition.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:19 PM   #7
KL2

Thanks for all the replies, but not what I was hoping to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
Mikracer is exactly right. I'm 6'6" and have had two 30 configurations go thru here. You will not be comfortable sitting on the gaucho. When you lean back your head will be pushed forward by the wall/ceiling transition.
At 6'6, is the wall the only issue, or is the ceiling itself (the rim around the pop top region) too low? Can you sit up straight anywhere in the rear without the top popped?

It would really only be used in an upright sitting position for using a laptop on the table, not for lounging or laying back.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:38 PM   #8

It's the wall and transition angle that will be the problem. I just know that for my usage a gaucho setup simply does not work. Sitting height should be no problem. I'm very comfortable sitting on our 50 layout couch with the top down. Where are you located KL2? Be good to sit in one before you commit.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:48 PM   #9
KL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
It's the wall and transition angle that will be the problem. I just know that for my usage a gaucho setup simply does not work. Sitting height should be no problem. I'm very comfortable sitting on our 50 layout couch with the top down. Where are you located KL2? Be good to sit in one before you commit.
I agree, would definitely be good to sit inside one before committing, I'm located in San Diego.

I'm wondering if I made the whole bottom of the couch/backrest slide forward 6inches or so away from the wall, if I would be far enough away from the curvature to be comfortable. The other option is turning it into an L shape couch, putting me sitting at the rear so the sides contouring in isn't an issue. I don't like this since I was hoping to keep the aisle open from rear to front of van.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:54 PM   #10

The rear seat option doesn’t have to be permanent.
Mine is basically a board that fills in the isle for the cushions to rest on. Just put it in place when you need to sit.

I think it will still be uncomfortable though. Your seat bottom will have to be low for your head to clear and will make the legs uncomfortable in my opinion.
Unless the ccv has a lot more clearance than a sportsmobile pop top.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote