Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

Looking for shock recommendations

Hello,

I have a 15 passenger Ford e350 Super Duty van (not a 4x4) that have converted into a campervan.
You can see some pics here: https://www.facebook.com/ianskelley/...8824206&type=3

I have just been told by my mechanic that I need new shocks on all four tires.

Being I am new to this and this is the first campervan I have built, I would love to get your recommendations on what kind of shocks should I get.

Thank you everybody for your time and help,

Ian Skelley

ianskelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #2

I watched your videos on your build as you were working on your van. Good work... I installed Bilsteins and a Bilstein Steering stabilizer. It really helped. Next I will do the Helwig rear sway bar...

I have an 09 Extended E350 that I camperized also.

I think I ordered my shocks from Summit Racing and they matched Amazon price, PLUS 10%off for being a Vet.

Good luck and God bless!
happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

happycampingcouple, thanks for the feedback and for the encouraging words. You and Paul at Sportsmobile both recommended the Bilsteins.

I see in the forums that alot of people are talking about the Fox shocks.

Why do you recommend the Bilsteins over Fox? Is it price?
ianskelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #4

I have heard lots about them... My van is 2 wheel drive and I wont be lifting it or making it 4wd... I wish I could, but I will be using my van to tow a travel trailer fulltime... Plus the funds for me are not there...

I am sure the Fox shocks are great shocks for all kinds of applications, But the Bilsteins seem to be what I need. the price is also a consideration for me... I am frugal and have many other "things" to spend a small fortune on with this van!

I put the Bilsteins on my Ford excursion and we towed a heavy trailer... zero issues, so I figured they would also help my E350
happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

Garage
Not a 100% sure agile does shocks for non 4x4 econolines, but it wouldn’t hurt to call and ask.

The difference between the fox shocks you get from agile and other fox resellers is that they will be valved specifically for the weight of your vehicle. Take your van to some scales and get weights for each axle, then provide that data to agile and they can custom valved shock for the exact weights of your specific van.

Bilsteins are great shocks, but they don’t offer anything specific to the weight of your rig. Just a generic shock for a stock van. If you don’t have a heavy build, they will likely be just fine for your setup, but if you’ve added a bunch of weight to your van, a call to agile would be suggested to at least compare pricing if nothing else.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

You can contact Agile Offroad for custom tuned Fox shocks. Doesnt have to be lifted or 4x4 to get a set. For best results, get your van weighed and they can adjust accordingly.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #7

Bilstein makes a great set for you.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

Bilsteins are offered two ways....

"comfort" which is for Ford Vans..either RB or EB

"Heavy Duty" which are valved for class C Ford based motorhomes..with really long rear overhang....valved stiffer.

Several folks here have bought the HD version and found them to be too harsh on a regular van...a few others have been OK with them.

..that being said I just ordered the HD version for my van, which weighs 9300 lbs...about 4200 front and 5100 rear....so we'll see.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #9

I ran the HD and loved them.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #10

Blistein HD

I'm up in Canada and I have a set of stock height Blisteins with only about 15000km on them. After 15000km, I changed my mind and went 4x4 I could give you a great deal on them if you are interested.

They are:

Bilstein 33-187570 - 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber (B6, HD)

Bilstein 33-176857 - 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber (B6, HD)
whatpants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks