Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Garage
Love/Hate CAD Apps

I have a love/hate relationship with CAD-type apps. I swear I’ve bought/downloaded every one that didn’t cost a bunch of bucks and even some that did. But they take so long to learn that I’m wasting more time figuring out the darn app than I am designing. So I wind up going back to my trusty yellow pad and pencil. The problem with that is the pad is always somewhere I’m not because I can’t take it everywhere.

Usually I just want to draw something with straight lines and enough detail that I can figure out if everything will fit the way I hope. I finally found something that’s easy to learn and it’s free: Adobe Illustrator Draw. I used it this weekend on my Ipad and it has just enough straight lines and shape templates for my purposes. Thought I would share with those who aren’t already familiar with it. You can see some of the output on my build thread here (post 171):

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-17377-18.html

Here’s the App Store pic:

Old 01-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #2

Garage
I only dabble with this type of stuff, and then just occasionally (so no expert here) - but like you have just wanted something relatively "simple" conveniently available on my laptop & i-Pad. Believe I'm going to try your recommendation, Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #3

Garage
Twoxentrix: My pleasure. Have fun!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #4

I'm only slightly kidding when I say I'm the guy who's still trying to figure out what all those little hash marks between the numbers on my tape measure are for.

My goal is to finish the interior of the van this year and I've been playing around with the lay-out using a combination of graph paper and the template I downloaded from the Sportsmobile web-site. After running across a number of posts on CAD programs, I'm very intrigued by how much help they can be. I'll give this one a look...

Thanks
Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 AM   #5

Garage
LOL, ya gotta start somewhere, right? It’s easy to design the van layout once you know your width and length. Mine is 66 x 112 inches. I can put anything in there that meets that criteria.

The one thing I don’t like about this particular app is that you can’t just move things around like a chessboard. But you can duplicate your last drawing and erase pretty easily. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Way back when Windows 98ME was THE OS I bought an Autodesk product called QuickCAD for a whopping $59.95 IIRC. It was and remains the only CAD software I've used---it works with Win7 in Virtual Machine mode so I can still use it when/if the need arises.

At the time the version I had rivaled an Autodesk program marketed to professional users costing over $7,000 ---I discovered that from a friend who'd paid that and was HIGHLY agitated when looking through the user's manual and the actual program in use. When she confronted Autodesk about this their response was "we no longer sell that program......" No consolation after the fact but it made me feel good about a shrewd but clueless acquisition I'd made.

As far as moving things around look for an option called "grouping". Once you create a 2D part such as a fridge "group" and save it. Once done that series of lines becomes an entity you can drag and drop just about anywhere on your drawing.

Not sure that's helpful but maybe so........
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #7

This is all new to me, so it's all helpful. Thx