Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #11

Re: Lowes or Home Depot?

Our HD has been allowing independent contractors to roam the aisles and solicit business. There is one local HVAC company whose reps are particularly hard-core. Though I told this one guy I have a new system that is only four years old and was not interested in a new one, he kept following me all over the store telling me how much I would benefit by installing his new system. It just didn't matter how many times I clearly said, "No!" he wouldn't stop. I finally left the store, circled back around through the other door and asked for the store manager, who said, "Thanks for letting me know. I've already had to ban three guys from that company from coming in. Our headquarters allows their reps in, but this makes the fourth one I've had to restrict."

Any time I go in HD and spot one of those guys, I try to circle around another aisle, avoiding him en route to what I'm trying to reach. Never had this problem at Lowes.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #12

It must be nice... My nearest HD is a 3hr round trip and Lowes is a 6hr round trip. If the local Ace Hardware doesn't have what I need, I have to go on line to order, wait a week and pray that I bought the right stuff.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #13

do not know if this is true everywhere,but our home depot in La Quinta ,Calif gives a 10% discount on EVERYTHING if you are a veteran and show proof (dd214 etc.)A super cashier in the garden dept told me they started this about 5 months age with no plans to stop in the future!
Equal to not paying any sales tax!!
drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers
lqhikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Lowes. No contest.
HD specialized in screw heads that snap off just before they get tight and bolts that have the threads filled with zinc.
HD is 3 blocks from my house. Anything I want, I drive 3 miles to Lowes.
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
HD is 10 minutes closer, so it is my go to store. I like a lot of things they carry, but like Mike said the hardware is junk, I finished out my home shelving with some tiny screws from them and they just didn't have the tip to bite and start. After about a dozen I was done with the shelves and just want to pitch the rest. Maybe I'll take them back tomorrow.
Have you checked into Grip Rite Fas'Ners? I use thier Primeguard Ten Exterior Screws for most everything. You can run thier 3 1/2" screw into a 4x4 and the head just won't snap off! Got six different sizes in the barn always ready to go and this is the only brand I'll use.

Home Depot carriers them........

http://www.grip-rite.com/fasteners.asp?Action=1
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #15

I find that HD has better customer service. Seems like I'm approached within the fist minute of being in the store. Love it.

But...... maybe they think I'm a criminal!!!!!!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #16

I guess it depends what city you are in. Here in Los Angeles there is a Home Depot that is close to my house and the service is terrible. I was told they were the highest grossing store in the country. The staff could care less. I was in there several times a week for a year. I ended up going late at night (they used to be 24 hours), still got no service, but at least the store was empty.

Then again, I am in LA. At many retail shops, the clerks could care less.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #17

Steve,

as you may have heard, LA has just been voted the most rude city in the nation. Might have something to do with the attitude of the staff at your local HD.....
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #18

Service? In a Home Depot? Are you serious? If you want service, go to an Ace Hardware or OSH (it was better before Sears bought it).

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #19

I thought the Service at HD was inversely related to your actual need. When I go in knowing what, I want I have everybody, including the cleaning lady asking if I need help. But on those occurrences that I have questions, or need something cut, not a person around.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote