Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

Manuals

I bought some manuals today and learned where they can be found.

Primary-Helm Helm. If you go to a Ford dealer, they'll just order from Helm. They aren't confined to old books but have license to reprint as the market demands. For example, the Wiring Manual I need is out of stock; but their phone rep said they are expected to get more in December.

Secondary-Amazon, eBay, and DIY Manuals

Ford Shop Manuals come in 2 volumes. For my 99.5, I bought '99 manuals. Helm had them for retail $140; DIYM was $135; eBay had a seller for $120; and I bought from an Amazon seller for $90. If I'd had more time, I'm sure they're available for cheaper.

Ford Wiring Manual: Helm's retail is $60 when they become available; DIYM was $35. I bought from the same Amazon seller (for shipping convenience) for $23.

Owners Manual: Helm sells it for $10. I may end up buying one for convenience. However, Ford's site, Ford Documents, has it available in .pdf. It's lots of pages; but most cover stuff I already know. So, you could just copy the ones you need, i.e. fuses. There are, however, pages filled with new-to-me info peculiar to this van and safety procedures that'd be nice to have. Plus, by the time I copy pps, I'd use up same space as a book; and having the real manual might make my someday-buyer feel better.

Ford Owners Diesel Supplement Manual: ditto above para. I read the .pdf. It's a MUST HAVE and full of important stuff, especially for me, since this is my first diesel.

Chilton: A fantastic find, for me at least. For $25/year, I get to go on line and get written instructions and a few pictures on how to do a ton of things. This won't make me a mechanic; but it will give me another perspective to the Ford Shop Manual. For example, I'm going to R&R the main dash panel and reconfigure the dash board (instrument cluster w/ tach, DD 7" Kenwood, bucu switches). I printed off a 7-page set of instructions giving me, at least, the order to take things off. Of GREATER IMPORTANCE, I was given the list of all Tech Bulletins, Ford notices, and Recalls, all 155 of them. I'll go thru all and produce a list of stuff for my mechanic to check or change during the engine bulletproofing.

JC
99.5 Cargo RB 7.3

Old 11-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Re: Ford Manuals and Build Library

Thanks for starting this JC. I can add a few things as I'm a paperwork geek myself.

I have all original stuff for the 95 I purchased recently, every book and manual, which could be pretty helpful to some as the older stuff is probably getting harder to find.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Components

[Under re-construction.]
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

[Deleted by JC]
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #5

JC, what did you do, text dump all you bookmarks?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

[Deleted by JC]
Old 11-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

JC:
Just a suggestion, but why don't you use the WIKI section of this site do do what you want? A reference document repository is already set up for you to not only add links, but post PDF files (manuals). That way any member can made additions or corrections to the repository. That way (using the WIKI) you are not handcuffed by either you (or and Admin) having to go back in and edit the original post.

The WIKI has not been used much lately, but this sure would be a good addition to it.

Just Pick WIKI from the menu at the top of the page. Anyone can view the files, but if you want to edit them, you need to login. You will need to create a new account but I think the username and password can be the same as your Forum login account.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #8

[Deleted by JC]
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
Waalllll, I didn't seem to get all the herd in the pen. I donno why the links didn't work. They look like they should work.
JC
You made a slight mistake with your URL tags. The closing tag needs a / added to it. It should look like this [/url]. Hope it helps.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #10

@ Charlie
I looked the Forum's Wiki over. The reason I've never been up there is I thought it was a link to the real Wiki.

I think I learned how to code a URL; and I looked at the existing files page. I could not figure out, however, how to up load a photo or document to that list.

Darryl told me what I need to do to fix the unlinked links, and I'll do that tomorrow.

I still have concern whether putting these links up there will result in hiding them from people who don't know to go there. As long as I can edit my post and add or delete, I know people getting started will eventually, at least, check the Homemade Build forum. Let me fix and add to what I've started and run w that for now. I invite Admin'rs to PM me and express their preferences.

JC